“Beautiful To Eat At” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Agustin Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 1,702 Restaurants in Tucson
Cuisines: American, Bar, Brasserie
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Chef Ryan Clark’s creative farm-to-table cuisine inspired by Tucson’s local offerings includes amazing house specialties, an exciting ‘all domestic’ wine list and an arrangement of local draft beers. An award winning bar staff finds the niche in the menu with carefully created craft cocktails and house infusions. The kitchen crew works magic at this Downtown Tucson hot spot that takes sustainability seriously as it sends out tasty locavore lunches and sophisticated dinners, all at prices that are reasonable for what you get; a setting that’s a perfect mix of informal and beautiful and knowledgeable, friendly service complete the picture.
Tucson
“Beautiful To Eat At”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

I am always happy to see a young and talented chef presenting his dream to others. My friend Robin and I decided to try Agustin Kitchen after we had heard some good things about it. I really love the charming Mercado the restaurant is situated in. The beautiful interior of the Agustin Kitchen was inviting, very clean and lovely with high ceilings, beautiful booths, a fabulous view of the chefs working their magic and an exceptionally beautiful bar. I found the service to be very good. I decided on the brunch item "Green Eggs and Ham" which was very nicely served in a little cast iron skillet since the eggs are baked. I did enjoy the taste although I wish the watery component at the bottom would not have been part of the dish, most likely from the spinach. Robin had oysters which she deemed superb and a beautiful Shrimp Caesar Salad which she also loved. The meal was good, however not a large enough serving to truly satisfy my hunger, my iced tea and entrée ran $15.00 which I thought was too much for what it was. I enjoyed the meal but when I return to the Mercado, I am going to try the taqueria as I watched that food going out to diners on the patio and thought it had a lot more going for it.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Tucson, Arizona
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

Food was very good, but they missed on delivering on the experience. It was our 25th anniversary and I had called earlier in the day to reserve a table outside to share a quiet evening with my wife and children. I was assured by Mark that they would take good care of us. When we arrived, we were informed there was not a table outside for us. They said there was a note it was our anniversary and proceeded to seat us at the first table near the door. There was no attempt to correct the error or make any amends. Mark was no where to be found. If they are trying to make for a great experience, they failed.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“What a gem - in Tucson!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

There's a new gourmet choice - in Tucson!

A new farm to table restaurant open in Tucson for about 6 months - what a gem!

Awesome menu, we tried the salmon and the steak, leading in with the four smears - which consisted of small slices of garlic toast, with four jars of "smears"; smoked salmon and capers, oven-dried tomatoes, Arizona burrata, and Oxtail. Yum!

Good wine list and beverage options, service was impeccable. Suggest you try it!

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sierra Vista, Arizona
“Agustin Kitchen helped me make a dream come true!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

Agustin Kitchen helped me make a dream come true. When I was a teenager and first planned romantic ideas for whoever I had a crush on at the time, I came up with a vision. One day, when I had met that really special gal, I would surprise her with a rooftop dinner for just the two of us. Several weeks ago, with my sixth wedding anniversary approaching, I decided I wanted to finally make that dream a reality. That really special gal was here, now, as my beloved wife. So I went in search of rooftop dining options and found Agustin Kitchen through a simple internet search. I called them up and inquired about their rooftop dining and was informed that it is generally reserved for large groups. I asked about an exception due to the special occasion and was put in touch with Ryan Clark, their head chef. Ryan graciously entertained my idea and got me in contact with his manager, John Silverman. John was amazing in assisting with the planning of this surprise gourmet dinner. He went over menu choices and was both very accommodating of my ideas and helpful with suggestions to make it even better. He offered his services, making several recommendations that pushed the plan towards fruition. I made reservations for sunset, so my wife and I could enjoy the colors and beauty of the sun’s last rays that evening, than dine by candlelight under the stars. John and Ryan even went ahead with some of their own ideas to make it even better for us. For instance, while I just planned for wine, appetizers, salad and entrees, they put together a six-course meal to correspond with our anniversary. And while this included the menu choices I had selected, some of the items were quite a surprise.
When we arrived, we were quite taken with the building and the ground floor of the restaurant. So far, so good. We talked to Anna, the hostess, who I had spoken with on the phone several times during the course of my planning. She was kind and helpful as always, a real pleasure to deal with. She introduced us to John, who led us up to the rooftop patio. There was a small table set with our dinnerware, flowers, and a bucket of chilled water. The sun was starting its descent. I was happy with it all, and my wife was almost giddy with excitement.
After a little while, as we waited for the first of the food to come up, the wind picked up. The vase blew over and we caught our glasses right before they toppled. We decided to move the table over to the corner so that we would be shielded from the wind by the wall around the edge of the roof. We were having such a lovely time that this added to our experience as a bit of a chuckle-worthy obstacle than any kind of damper.
Then the food began. Oh my goodness. Everything ranged from great to amazing. Every course, each dish, was delicious, full of rich flavors and a delight to the senses. The first course was a chef’s surprise carrot-dish that was a great start to whetting our appetites. My wife loves pesto. I like it, but it’s not my favorite. The pesto they served, made from carrot greens, bowled us over! We had the varied spread jars that allowed us to sample four different delights. The salad choice was a tough decision during menu planning, as all of the options sounded wonderful. To keep it simple, I went with their ‘simple salad’. Well, let me tell you, what they termed “simple” was one of the best salads we’ve ever had. It made me want to go back to try their more robust salad options. I decided I would plan for two different entrees that my wife would like so she could decide which one she wanted once they were served, or we could share them. We’re both big salmon fans and Agustin Kitchen’s version was quite delicious. However, the star dish of the evening was the Vermont butter poached chicken breast, which was simply the best chicken dish I’ve ever had in four decades of eating. I felt decadent with each mouth-watering bite! This was some serious dining. I didn’t plan for dessert, as I figured we would be pretty full at that point of the evening. John insisted, and how could we refuse? We both decided on the rhubarb & pineapple crumble. They brought them out with candles and chocolate sauce drizzled into letters wishing us a happy anniversary which was yet another pleasant surprise. How was the dessert, you may ask? Pure 100% delicious awesomeness! My only regret is that I was so full from all the other amazing food, I could barely finish it.
Two other points should be noted. I am not a drinker, but I randomly selected a wine of the three kinds of cabernet they offered for my wife to enjoy. I generally dislike the taste of alcoholic beverages, but the wine was actually pretty good, so kudos to their choices of what to serve. And John was completely willing to help with an out of the ordinary request. While walking from or car to the restaurant, the strap on my wife’s shoe broke. Thinking that we might be headed out on the town after dinner, I asked John if they perchance had a stapler so we could affect a temporary repair. He was very accommodating and offered to get one for us. However, after six courses, we were ready to head home and prep for Easter the next day.
Seriously, whether fine dining is your staple for outings, or you just want to up your game for a special occasion, you won’t be disappointed. Many hearty thanks to you, Ryan, John, Anna and all of the crew at Agustin Kitchen! Not only did you help me realize a life-long vision of a romantic dinner with my wife, but you did it with friendly service, a wonderful setting, a to-die-for culinary experience, and class all around.
-Scott Daniels
Sierra Vista, Arizona

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Chapel Hill, Nc
“Great place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

Second time I'd eaten there. Knew it used as much local as was accessible. Service was great(our server was the same as the time i went in January and remembered us!--sadly she's moved away). Food was creative and presented well and was quite good. Lovely drink menu and wine list. A definite go to in Tucson.

Visited April 2014