“Skip it, there are better Vietnamese places in Tuscon” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #148 of 1,697 Restaurants in Tucson
Cuisines: Vietnamese
New York
“Skip it, there are better Vietnamese places in Tuscon”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

I love Vietnamese food and while visiting Tuscon Ha Long Bay was just a couple blocks up from my hotel. It's nice looking inside and I was seated promptly. Before I even got water one of the waiters whips out a vacuum after a table of 6 near me vacated and started vacuuming. I mean come on people, who wants to be in a restaurant while someone is vacuuming? It totally ruined the vibe for me. I ordered some summer rolls and they were only ok. They were warm and the shrimp had a fishy taste. The peanut sauce tasted like it came from a jar and wasn't homemade. I ordered pork chop with vermicelli and the pork chop and rice was really good. But there was some sliced pork something swimming in some syrupy glaze that was awful. Not sure why they felt the need to include this extra. It wasn't good. The dish did come with a side of Pho and it was very good.

Overall I was disappointed and will try a different place next time.

“Best in town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012 via mobile

I've been here several times and have not once been disappointed. The food has always been excellent we always order the same dishes pho w beef slices, stir-fried egg noodles, sesame chicken, and ha long bay fried rice and they taste better every time. The service is awesome, the waiters all help each other and they always remember your face.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Tucson, AZ
“A delightful place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

Ha Long Bay is one of my family's favorite restaurants in Tucson. It offers all that we look for: delicious food, reasonable prices, friendly service, and outstanding cleanliness. I'd recommend their family menu if you are a large group. It's a great value and offers a large choice of dishes.

Visited June 2012
new mexico
“What a Great Place to Eat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

My husband and I make it a point to eat at Ha Long Bay on every visit to Tucson. We have eaten lots of Vietnamese food and find this family run restaurant to be the best. The menu is traditional and extensive. We love the pan stired meals - especially the chicken and fried soft egg noodle selections. The summer rolls are delicious and served with a not-too-sweet peanut sauce. There is a selection of sauces ranging from mild to hot on each table. Beer and wine is served, although the selection is small. The ambience is comfortable and with the owner's kids doing homework in the back room, very homey. Service is very attentive and friendly. On top of this, prices are reasonable. We love this place and will continue to return.

• Visited April 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
NC
“Great food, service and price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

We spent last week in Tucson and I was looking for a place to eat on ChowHound and saw some recs for this place. We were up for trying Vietnamese food and then when I realized it was only a block from our hotel I figured it must be fate. The atmosphere is old homestyle kitchen, not glitzy restaurant but the place is clean and the service was excellent. We've never had Vietnamese food so I have nothing to compare to but w eliekd it. We got the family dinner for $10.95 each which included spring rolls and a choice of wonton or beef noodle soup and a choice of several entrees. I got the Chicken Bun and my husband got assorted vegetables with chicken that he spiced up with one of the 3 sauces they had at the table. The spring rolls were small but crispy and tasty. The soups were both good and our entrees were excellent. Plenty to eat for under $30 after tax and tip.

• Visited February 2012