“Fantastic Breakfast” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
San Diego, California
“Fantastic Breakfast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

We happened upon the Crying Onion while driving through Arizona and could not have been more pleased. I had the Alamo omelet, which was simply spectacular. Tender, roast beef, green chiles and cheese. I highly recommend it. I also thought the home fries were very good. My wife can't eat bread and so instead of bringing me her toast, our server suggested that I could also get a slice of the homemade coffee cake. Um, OK. Slice is an understatement. She brought me a slab of cake with crumbly, cinnamon goodness all over the top. She kept our coffee cups full and always had a smile on her face. We liked the place so much, we planned our return trip around another stop at the Crying Onion.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

87% Recommend
tucson
“"I have been a regular for 5 years"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

For breakfast there is no better in Tucson. Great omelets, superb pancakes.

What's not to like?

Try the banana nut pancakes they are like crepes and are outstanding.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Tucson, Arizona
“IHOP who?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

I love this little place. It's a charming little hole in the wall with a homey and friendly atmosphere, and a really great value. I try to go during the week if I have a day off, otherwise there can be a bit of a wait on weekends. Until today, I have only enjoyed the omelettes or biscuits and gravy. They cook the eggs just like I like them, and the biscuits are perfect. Today I finally went for the pancakes that they are famous for. WOW! One fills the whole plate, or to be more accurate - platter! I tried the blueberry, and they were bursting out of the tender goodness of the pancake. I didn't need syrup. I couldn't even finish it! At first I wasn't keen on the idea of one huge pancake, but let me tell you, I was never much for the edges of the stacks. These are like one giant middle BUT the very edges had a slight crispiness that was very tasty as well. This is now officially my pancake house :-)

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Tucson, Arizona
“Simply the best breakfast in Tucson!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

Anyone who has read my food reviews in Tucson knows I am not a big fan of the food scene here. This place is an exception!
Starting our third year here and, until this morning we had not found a breakfast place worthy of a return visit. This is now our go to place. The food was perfection and the waitstaff was not only personable, they were enthusiastic! They know they are serving good food and they seem to be proud of it. Eat here!

“Great for breakfast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012 via mobile

Mom and pop place. Very cool for breakfast all day. I had huevos rancheros they were fantastic over hard. Very tasty stuff. Don't miss this out if the way place!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere