“A "must" for visitors and stay-cationers...” 5 of 5 stars

The Big Blue House Tucson Boutique inn
144 E. University Blvd., Tucson, AZ 85705   |
Ranked #24 of 53 Tucson B&B and Inns
Tucson, Arizona, United States
“A "must" for visitors and stay-cationers...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

I wanted a special place that truly gave my visiting German family a "flavor" of Tucson. This place was AMAZING: the house is a beautiful historic home that has been renovated with obvious love, the decor is tasteful, the setting is inspiring, and the owners are wonderful. They treated my family well. They have been coming to the United States for 20 years, but this was my German family's first time in Tucson. They said the Big Blue House was the best place they have stayed in all their 20 years. It had so much character, and felt as though you were coming home. Every room is decorated with a tasteful eye and with a lot of care. We enjoyed sitting outside on the porch in the evenings and talking, even eating a meal or two. It was a treat for me, too, just coming to spend time with them.

I liked that the was so close to both the University of Arizona, 4th Avenue, and downtown Tucson so they could walk, bike or drive to restaurants, shopping, museums, and more. They did a lot on their own in the nearby area, and Lea had great information and provided personalized recommendations to help them decide what attractions to visit.

I will recommend this place to anyone and everyone! I am a proud Tucsonan and this places does our community proud. Kudos to Ken and Lea!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

128 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Yuma, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Last weekend, I had to make a trip to Tucson for a training session. Even though I forgot to
call with my confirmation number and our room was cancelled, the owners still had a room available. We would gladly stay again. Loved the room and its mixture of antiques and Art Deco pieces. The owners were helpful and told us about the closest shopping and suggested a place to listen to live music. This was our first BedNBreakfast experience and it was great! Should the opportunity arise to visit Tucson again, this will be my first choice for a place to stay and next time, I will remember to call and confirm.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

This house is beautiful and I wish there were more like this. The owners have transformed this great historic house into a fantastic bed and breakfast which really retains the feeling of a home. Our room was full of antique furniture, the bed was huge (as was the tv on the wall). Breakfast was provided every day via a little fridge in the room - juices, yoghurt, pastry, cereals, fruit. It meant you could have breakfast in the privacy of your room - in our case sitting at an oak chess desk and looking out onto the neighbourhood houses which are also very beautiful.
The location is excellent - walking distance to 4th ave and downtown as well as the university. I have to say I really enjoyed my 4 day stay in Tucson, it is a great funky place surrounded by breathtaking nature. The Big Blue House is not cheap - but it is absolutely worth it!

Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

Very comfortable stay in one of the Old Pueblo's older residences. Owners are fun to talk with and knowledgeable of the area history and current events. House has been updated to include modern necessities (wi-fi, hdtv, etc), but retained 19th century charm. Location is walking distance to historic downtown and University of Arizona. Complimentary in-room snacks, juices, coffee and tea is a real bonus.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Omaha, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

All or our family went down for my youngest sister's wedding and wanted a place close to the U of A, 4th Ave and the El Presidio and downtown area. It was the right spot. Great porch to have coffee on in the morning and well kept, clean and comfortable.

Room Tip: Ask for bottom floor if you are over 6 feet tall.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

We stayed for one night in the BBH (25/4/12) and it was absolutely lovely. The decor was very esoteric but not pretentiously so, and the room was a spacious and cool reprieve from the az sun. The owner was friendly and helpful with restaurant recommendations. Our kitchenette was fully stocked with yoghurt, pastries, oatmeal, juices, teas and good coffee. A wonderful stay that we'd wholeheartedly recommend!!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

This place was PERFECT!!! I used to go to the University of Arizona and so I visit Tucson often, at least 3 times per year. When my husband comes out with me, we stay in a hotel. It's been a pain to stay in a hotel near 4th that isn't super expensive or kitchy, like Hotel Congress or the Mariott. So when I randomly came across a Living Socials deal for The Big Blue House - 2 nights for $159 - I had to buy it. We ended up using ON CHRISTMAS EVE!!! It was amazing. It was right by 4th (it's on University and 6th/ish), just the most perfect location. I honestly just bought it because it was a great deal for a place in Tucson and didn't really look at the details. When we drove up, the lights actually made the place blue, and the owners, who live on the premesis, let us into our room. It was absolutely AMAZING! Nothing I would ever have thought and probably something I would never have booked on my own. All of the furniture and decor is classic, gorgeous wood. But the kitchen area, which the place stocks for you with breakfast goodness and other treats, was pleasantly up to date, but fit in perfectly. And the kicker, the bathroom was outside of the room! But even with the antique beautiful furniture, there was a great flatscreen that had pretty much every awesome channel you can think of, and the bed was like sleeping in the most amazing cloud you could ever imagine. We are not people who stay inside on vacation, but we relaxed a bit and just enjoyed the room for a while when we were in town. When checking out, I had the pleasure of spending some time with the owners and their bulldog for a while and I checked out the pictures in the office too. We talked about how they bought the place and keep it as authentic as they can, and they have all the pictures from the house throughout the past like 100 years up on the wall. It's amazing, really. They have a small side house that can be rented as well, and dogs can come! I told them I have two pitbulls and the didn't judge them at all. They told me let them know the next time I want to come back and get a room and we could discuss a rate for that room so my dogs could come home to Tucson for a vacation. It was just an amazing place to stay, and it will 100% be the place I call when I need a place to stay again to see what their rates are. I just can't say enough good things about this place and I recommend it more than I recommend any other hotel I've ever stayed at.

Room Tip: Anywhere is amazing, each room is unique, classic, and filled with personality and history. It'...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Big Blue House Tucson Boutique inn? Share your experiences!