“Lovely old house in great location” 5 of 5 stars

The Big Blue House Tucson Boutique inn
144 E. University Blvd., Tucson, AZ 85705   |
Ranked #22 of 52 Tucson B&B and Inns
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Lovely old house in great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

This house is beautiful and I wish there were more like this. The owners have transformed this great historic house into a fantastic bed and breakfast which really retains the feeling of a home. Our room was full of antique furniture, the bed was huge (as was the tv on the wall). Breakfast was provided every day via a little fridge in the room - juices, yoghurt, pastry, cereals, fruit. It meant you could have breakfast in the privacy of your room - in our case sitting at an oak chess desk and looking out onto the neighbourhood houses which are also very beautiful.
The location is excellent - walking distance to 4th ave and downtown as well as the university. I have to say I really enjoyed my 4 day stay in Tucson, it is a great funky place surrounded by breathtaking nature. The Big Blue House is not cheap - but it is absolutely worth it!

Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

Very comfortable stay in one of the Old Pueblo's older residences. Owners are fun to talk with and knowledgeable of the area history and current events. House has been updated to include modern necessities (wi-fi, hdtv, etc), but retained 19th century charm. Location is walking distance to historic downtown and University of Arizona. Complimentary in-room snacks, juices, coffee and tea is a real bonus.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Omaha, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

All or our family went down for my youngest sister's wedding and wanted a place close to the U of A, 4th Ave and the El Presidio and downtown area. It was the right spot. Great porch to have coffee on in the morning and well kept, clean and comfortable.

Room Tip: Ask for bottom floor if you are over 6 feet tall.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

We stayed for one night in the BBH (25/4/12) and it was absolutely lovely. The decor was very esoteric but not pretentiously so, and the room was a spacious and cool reprieve from the az sun. The owner was friendly and helpful with restaurant recommendations. Our kitchenette was fully stocked with yoghurt, pastries, oatmeal, juices, teas and good coffee. A wonderful stay that we'd wholeheartedly recommend!!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

This place was PERFECT!!! I used to go to the University of Arizona and so I visit Tucson often, at least 3 times per year. When my husband comes out with me, we stay in a hotel. It's been a pain to stay in a hotel near 4th that isn't super expensive or kitchy, like Hotel Congress or the Mariott. So when I randomly came across a Living Socials deal for The Big Blue House - 2 nights for $159 - I had to buy it. We ended up using ON CHRISTMAS EVE!!! It was amazing. It was right by 4th (it's on University and 6th/ish), just the most perfect location. I honestly just bought it because it was a great deal for a place in Tucson and didn't really look at the details. When we drove up, the lights actually made the place blue, and the owners, who live on the premesis, let us into our room. It was absolutely AMAZING! Nothing I would ever have thought and probably something I would never have booked on my own. All of the furniture and decor is classic, gorgeous wood. But the kitchen area, which the place stocks for you with breakfast goodness and other treats, was pleasantly up to date, but fit in perfectly. And the kicker, the bathroom was outside of the room! But even with the antique beautiful furniture, there was a great flatscreen that had pretty much every awesome channel you can think of, and the bed was like sleeping in the most amazing cloud you could ever imagine. We are not people who stay inside on vacation, but we relaxed a bit and just enjoyed the room for a while when we were in town. When checking out, I had the pleasure of spending some time with the owners and their bulldog for a while and I checked out the pictures in the office too. We talked about how they bought the place and keep it as authentic as they can, and they have all the pictures from the house throughout the past like 100 years up on the wall. It's amazing, really. They have a small side house that can be rented as well, and dogs can come! I told them I have two pitbulls and the didn't judge them at all. They told me let them know the next time I want to come back and get a room and we could discuss a rate for that room so my dogs could come home to Tucson for a vacation. It was just an amazing place to stay, and it will 100% be the place I call when I need a place to stay again to see what their rates are. I just can't say enough good things about this place and I recommend it more than I recommend any other hotel I've ever stayed at.

Room Tip: Anywhere is amazing, each room is unique, classic, and filled with personality and history. It'...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

My husband and I stayed at this great big blue house. It is clean, comfortable and oh my god the fridge is always full with drinks, yogurts, fresh pastries and fruit. There was only 2 of us but I am sure if we had another person or two in the room there would have been more than enough to feed them all. It was a shame we only stayed 2 nights, but when I do come back I will make sure that I come back to the house again.The room has everything you need to make it a memorable stay.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Baldwin City, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

We stayed 4 nights in Room 1. We loved sitting on the porch in the mornings drinking coffee and planning our day. We also enjoyed the quiet nieghborhood. We live in the country and were concerned about 'city noise"--not a problem here. This residential neighborhood is within walking distance of downtown, 4th Ave., and U of A. We would stay there again and will recommend to our friends and family. We would like to live in that neighborhood some day. The Ramsey's are friendly, helpful people who gave us great advice on what to see and do while in the area

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
WestU, Owner at The Big Blue House Tucson Boutique inn, responded to this review, July 31, 2011
We enjoyed your company and it is always fun and a pleasure to introduce potential new neighbors to this beautiful University area historic neighborhood.

Been to The Big Blue House Tucson Boutique inn? Share your experiences!