“Can't Wait to Return” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sam Hughes Inn Bed & Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tucson
Sam Hughes Inn Bed & Breakfast
You added Sam Hughes Inn Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
2020 E 7th St, Tucson, AZ 85719   |
Ranked #8 of 52 Tucson B&B and Inns
“Can't Wait to Return”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2006

My first visit to the Sam Hughes Inn was in February (2006). I did lots of research on the internet before making a reservation and can truly say I was thrilled from the first moment I walked in the door. My room, the Pima, was gorgeous with hardwood floors and an extremely comfortable bed.

I sat outside in the garden reading for an hour that first afternoon listening to the sounds of birds and the fountain and wishing I could stay for a week. Not being a “morning person” and rarely getting up for breakfast even when staying at bed & breakfasts in the past, something motivated me to get up early and be there for breakfast. I wasn’t disappointed. I have never enjoyed breakfast more than that first morning at the Sam Hughes Inn.

Susan Banner is a superb cook and has a dining room and the presentation that make you want to linger over breakfast. That first morning I was almost late for the tour I was supposed to take. I gave up the idea of lunch that day and didn’t even think of eating again until dinner.

When I found out I had to be back again in April and that I had told everyone in the group I was with what a wonderful place I was staying at, I was afraid to wait until I got back home to call Susan and ask her if I could stay again in April. After my second visit last weekend and no more trips scheduled, I am now motivated to find a new excuse to visit Tucson again soon. It was so much fun getting to know Susan and the other guests that by the time I was ready to head home again, it felt like I was leaving friends. Sam Hughes Inn has personality like its owner and makes you want to come back often.
Sam Hughes I

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2006

We first discovered the Sam Hughes Inn in 2001 and have been returning ever since for periods of a few days to three weeks. The Inn is conveniently located in central Tucson in the Sam Hughes historic district, within walking distance of the University of Arizona, as well as a library, post office, several cafes, and a grocery store. It is small (4 guest rooms), with a large, charming, and relaxing garden with gazebo, fountain, and places to sit under the trees to read or have a refreshing drink (BYOB). There is also a capacious living room with a TV (although individual rooms have TVs as well) and a huge wall of books for guests' use. A small den off the garden has a wireless computer available to those in residence.
Susan Banner, the owner, has decorated the house and rooms tastefully in Southwest style, serves a marvellous and ample breakfast, and couldn't be more helpful with suggestions of places to visit, eat, shop---in outlying areas as well as in Tucson. We enjoy her company--as well as that of others at the breakfast table. Susan makes her guests feel like family, which is why we always look forward to returning.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2006

The Sam Hughes Inn is on a quiet street near the University of Arizona. The atmosphere was warm and welcoming. The furnishings were comfortable and fun. We stayed in the Tombstone room which was a most luxurious bit of the old southwest with everything one could need - big, fluffy towels, toiletries, hair dryer, and a large tiled corner shower. The courtyard garden was lovely-with flowering plants and a tranquil water feature. We used the shaded patio table for an afternoon picnic! Breakfast was delicious all three mornings and our innkeeper was most helpful with directions and dinner suggestions. We will definitely go back again!

Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2006

In our brand name, over-hyped, over-priced world, The Sam Hughes Inn is a rarity these days: a quiet respite that delivers what it promises; a clean comfortable room, a hot tasty breakfast, at a fair and reasonable price. And as a bonus, an Innkeeper named Susan Banner who is passionate about making her Inn your home away from home. When is the last time that the Innkeeper at the Hilton or Marriott greeted you at the front door, showed you to your room, made dinner reservations for you, and the next morning served you breakfast that she prepared herself?

• Stayed March 2006
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2006

We stayed at the Sam Hughes Inn for 10 days in March and loved everything about it-great location, very clean, delicious breakfasts, friendly host,relaxing atmosphere. We highly reccommmend it. We took daytrips every day from its central location.

Been to Sam Hughes Inn Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!