“Well, if you like wheat gluten ...” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #633 of 1,697 Restaurants in Tucson
Cuisines: Chinese, Vegetarian
Tucson AZ
“Well, if you like wheat gluten ...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

This is a vegetarian style restaurant serving dishes based on Guilin cuisine. Guilin, north of Guangzhou and south of Hunan (and a bit west) usually has somewhat spicy food, closer to Hunan than southern Chinese cuisine.

I enjoy a good veggie meal now and then and, as a frequent visitor to China, I particularly enjoy the fact that China has numerous vegetable dishes.

The disappointment here is that most all of the dishes used "meat analogs" or imitation meat and fish. And, they were mostly all based on wheat gluten (seriously bad if you have Celiac Disease). The problem is that all of the food tasted the same. The wheat gluten that these dishes are based on seem to be sweetened and as a result you have vegetable dishes pretending to be meat dishes and tasting sweet (and unlike the proteins they are supposed to represent).

I suppose that it is healthy, or healthier than many other food choices, but it is also not very good.

Amsterdam
“The place to go for vegans”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2011

Good vegan chinese food, with pictures so chosing a dish is easy !

Visited October 2011
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Take out was top notch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

We ordered in and although they didn't deliver to our area, the food was ready for pick up in less than fifteen minutes. The food was fresh and delicious. They had no problem substituting items and ingredients to make the order just the way we wanted it. We spent less than ten dollars per person and had enough leftovers to feed us again the next day. Excellent quality. The soups are particularly good.

• Visited November 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
rucson
“Like eating garbage”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2010

If you like the taste of garbage, go to guilin. The food tastes horrible and makes you feel dirty after you eat it. The service was terrible i guess you have to speak Chinese to get some attention from the staff. I almost broke my tooth on a petrified crispy rice noodle that was on my mongolian beef. The meat was not fresh at all and had a very strange after taste. The only thing worse than eating the mongolian beef is burping the taste up for hours.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Tucson
“Wonderful vegetarian and traditional selection.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2009

Being a vegetarian for the past 12 years, I often have to fight with my meat loving boyfriend to take me to a restaurant where I have a fair selection of foods I can eat because to most men, vegetarian = rabbit food. At Guilian this was not the case. They have delicious vegetable dishes and tons of protein packed fake meat dishes that will surprise your taste buds with flavor as well as a wide selection of traditional meat dishes. This is by far my favorite Chinese restaurant in Tucson. I even had to stop my boyfriend from eating off my dish when he gobbled down his! If you haven't been, take my advise and stop in for lunch. The sweet and sour veggie chicken is to die for! It's super cheep and the portions are just right!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere