“In a word, delicious!” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Takeout
Gold Canyon, Arizona
“In a word, delicious!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

My husband and I heard about Mr. K's Barbecue while staying in Tucson recently. OK, the restaurant looks like an old time barbecue joint! Like a hole in the wall, and not in the best location.

However, the restaurant was clean, the counter help friendly and the food.....WOW! Being an Atlanta resident for many years, we do enjoy our barbecue. Mr. K's brisket is the absolute best!! Melt in your mouth, NOT fatty (you know what I mean. Some brisket can be mostly fat, with very little meat.) Not Mr. K's. Lean, tender, smoked perfectly!

I got the combo plate, that included a smoke hot link, 2 pork ribs, and brisket. For the two sides I choose candy sweet potatoes and baked bean. Everything was very good, but the brisket and those candy sweet potatoes were the best! If you enjoy sweet potato pie, definitely try the candy sweet potatoes!

My husband ordered a two meat combo plate (not on the menu, but they gladly made it for him.) He wanted to try both, the brisket and the pulled pork. The pork, was probably very good, but next to the smoked brisket, it was just OK. The brisket out-shined all the other meats. He selected candy sweet potatoes and cold slaw for his two sides. Again, the sweet potatoes were devoured in seconds. The cold slaw had a different taste that he wasn't fond of. Come to find out, it was cinnamon. Not a big fan of cinnamon in cold slaw.

If you are in the mood for barbecue, try Mr. K's on Park Avenue. We went back twice! I was that good.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Port Huron, Michigan
“Don't let the outside fool you!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

Stopped her on a fluke after reading the reviews on trip advisor. We ended up ordering the $35 meal deal and ordered beef brisket, ribs, beans and coleslaw. The BBQ sauce is sweet with just a hint of spice. The coleslaw is also sweet and I could taste a hint of cinnamon. The staff was friendly and overall it was a great little place to stop for lunch!

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Phoenix, Arizona
“Southwest BBQ”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I've had worst and I've had better but overall the food at The Original Mr. K's was good. The portions were small for the price. The chicken and the catfish was tasty, the pork ribs & the beef both were tender. The potato salad needed to jazzed up slightly but was ok as were the beans...but the beans were not baked beans. The greens were so-so. The BBQ sauce wasn't bad, it was tasty. The peach cobbler was really good but the filling could have been a little thicker. For Tucson it was better than I thought it would be.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Tucson, Arizona
“I finally found a place in Tucson that can compete with the food I grew up eating!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

Being a Cali girl I grew up eating bbq that included really good hot links. I also enjoyed amazing fried catfish and traditional sides like candied yams and greens. For years I have tried bbq places and their food just didnt compare so I always just make it myself. Finally by a random and very happily welcomed mistake I found the Original Mr. K's! I tried a little of each of alot of items so now on to the review: Beef brisket sandwich & BBQ pork sandwich...both were piled with meat...very flavorful and yummy meat. I will definitely have the beef brisket again. Fried catfish...it was very crispy and not bad but could've used some more seasoning. The candied yams and mixed greens were very good. Cooked perfectly and very flavorful. The corn muffin was a little dry. The seasoned fries were very good. Now last but not least the hot link sandwich...piled high with roughly cut hot links smothered in BBQ sauce....cooked perfectly and had the perfect amount of spice! Definitely my fave part of the savory part of the meal. I also had the pecan pie which was very good. I plan on going back very soon to try the beef ribs. This will for sure be my go to place when I'm too lazy to make it myself. Oh lastly, cost...for everything listed above plus an extra corn muffin and a can of lemonade my total was just under $60. Very good value for the amount of food. This place is a must try!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Hollywood, Maryland
“excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Service and food great. Went at lunch but not crowded at all. Close to airport and associated businesses near airport which saves time from going downtown. food was awesome, tasty and amazing portions.

Visited February 2013