“Creative food in an artistic setting” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cafe A La C'art

Cafe A La C'art
150 N Main Ave, Tucson, AZ 85701 (El Presidio)
(520) 628-8533
Good for: Outdoor seating, Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: El Presidio
Tucson, Arizona
“Creative food in an artistic setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

I've been eating at Cafe A La C'art for years. Tucson old-timers know (and I've heard... I've only lived here for 15 years) that this was actually the original location for Janos' (the famous Tucson chef) restaurant. They've recently (in the past year or so) expanded into all of the old rooms. The beautiful rooms indoors are filled with art (and, recently, with lots of people dining!). Their outdoor seating is at tables under big umbrellas -- with a long mosaic mural added to the walls a few years ago. They've expanded their hours to include breakfast and dinner.

The food is fabulous. Another reviewer recommended the walleye; Judy (the friendly owner) told a Minnesotan friend of mine and me that the chef flies in the walleye from Minnesota. My lunchtime favorite is the Cuban sandwich with fries...delicious comfort food to die for. I'm in California now, but just writing this review makes me hungry to be back here. Go! (And visit the museum, as well as the historic houses, before or after your meal.)

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

89% Recommend
Tucson, Arizona
“beautiful setting, sad salads”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I have been here twice in the last month for lunch, and once for coffee (small serving and over-priced cafe mocha). The setting is beautiful, old adobe building with many small rooms for dining, plus a nice patio outside. The menu consists of sandwiches and salads, usually one soup of the day. If you are vegan and/or gluten free, salad is pretty much your only option. The first time I went for lunch, I got the salmon salad, sub a portabella mushroom for the salmon. The grilled mushroom was good, but the amount of veggies on the rest of the salad was pathetic (two asparagus spears, a few tomato slices, a few pepper slices). The second time I got the southwest ceaser, which comes with tomato, corn, black beans, and tortilla chip "croutons." I figured with this choice I'd have nice salad with plenty of protein from the beans. Instead what I got was a $9 plate of lettuce covered with chips. There were literally no more than 10 tiny beans on my entire salad, maybe 10 pieces of corn, if that. I work downtown and there are lots of restaurants that make great salads, very filling with lots of veggies, and most are under $10. For the price of the food, and the miniscule amount of salad toppings, I have zero desire to go back. Both times I ate here I left still hungry. I will say they have an amazing looking dessert and pastry selection, none of which I have tried. I know that this place gets great reviews on Trip Advisor and Yelp, and maybe the sandwiches are better. But if you want a nice salad, go someplace else.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Tucson, AZ
“Wonderful place to dine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Loved the historic integrity of the space, the warmth of the staff, and especially the food. The chocolate bomb for dessert is to die for!!

Visited February 2013
Tucson, AZ
“Great food but Spotty Service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

The Cafe has great food whether one desires dinner entrees, brunch items or unbelievably good pastries. The location at the Tucson Museum of Art is convenient and dining either on the terrace or inside is very pleasant. However, it all works better for brunch or lunch. (We have eaten there
recently for both brunch and dinner.) The management still hasn't figured out to make the system work at dinner. You can wait half an hour for your glass of wine and an hour for your entrees on a busy evening (Fridays and Saturdays only). Prices are reasonable given the excellent food.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Leawood, Kansas
“The Cuisine is Fabulous”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We discovered this delightful, arty restaurant next to the Tucson Museum of Art on Thursday night for dinner. Right now Thursday evening is there only dinner night. The lightly crusted walleye was to die for. My wife said her chicken dish was also excellent. Wonderful atmosphere too! Can't wait to try lunch or breakfast here.

• Visited January 2013