“Everything is Homemade” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Tucson
“Everything is Homemade”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

We frequent Gus Balons alot for breakfast we meet up with all of our children and Grandchildren and have breakfast, great service and WONDERFUL HOMEMADE food, if you are looking for lots of food at a great price try this place the prices are good for the wallet. Gus Balons has been in the business for many years, family owned and operated and that makes a world of difference" they care". Homemade breads and pies can round out your meal be prepared to wait, people know a good restaurant and this is one of them.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Tucson, Arizona
“Rah Rah Undeserved”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Just ate at Gus Balon's. Had my heart set on biscuits & gravy, but they only have em' on Tuesdays. My fall back was cheesy grits and eggs, but they don't have grits. I sipped some (very weak) coffee with non-dairy creamer, (they didn't have half-n-half), while perusing the menu. I prefer Splenda in my coffee, but they don't have it. I finally went with sausage, eggs, potatoes & toast. Ordered eggs "up", Now, it's not unusual for the whites to be a little runny near the center when eggs are cooked "up", but these were unappetizingly runny. I sent them back for more cooking and when the server returned, she brought over-easy eggs. Close enough, I thought. Sausage was okay, (nothing special), but the fried white potatoes, (they didn't have hashbrowns), were bland and more mushy than crispy. The toast was very tasty. Baked on site. Burnt on the bottom, though. Other reviewers have raved about the "sweet rolls", which are cinnamon rolls, so we ordered one "to go", but they had run out, (three hours before closing). Our server was pleasant and attentive and was tipped accordingly. Went to the register to pay. The lady there was chatting with a customer seated at the counter. She didn't acknowledge me, continuing her conversation as I handed the check to her. She swiped my card and handed the merchant copy to me for signature, all without eye contact. Then she put my receipt on the counter without so much as a "thank you", just continuing her conversation with the man at the counter. Mighty rude, thought I, as we strolled out of Gus Balon's. We won't be back.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Tucson, Arizona
“Portions huge, desserts look amazing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Breakfast portions are huge. Alright, I didn't realize this until I was absolutely full, but the Sweet rolls ARE their cinnamon rolls. Was in there looking for it on the menu because of all the hype and didn't find it. I did order their French toast and it wasn't what I expected from another yelper review. It wasn't made with their cinnamon / sweet rolls. So kind of bummed out. It must be a daily special t have that particular French toast. Would love to give it another try and explore other foods. Especially dessert! Pies galore there. Reminds me of the Mt Lemmon cafe. Server told us that everything is made from scratch there.

Visited November 2012
tucson
“Back again”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Went to Gus Balon’s today for the first time in quite a while, and was reminded of how truly awesome it is! We are VERY experienced travelers who have lived all over the world. There is absolutely no place that can match this for breakfast, and the quality of Balon’s luncheon menu is unsurpassed if you want top-of-the-line American grub! Quickest service, stupendous food and you are surrounded by the most upstanding, pleasant and otherwise wonderful non-country club crowd in Tucson. They definitely know how to do eats in this place! They bake all their own stuff fresh daily, great pies, breads, roles, buns etc. Service is fantastic. Today we were in and out in 20 minutes, but Balon’s is so popular that you may sometimes wait 5 minutes to be seated if you want a table. You can walk to the counter and find a swivel chair almost anytime though. They’re open for breakfast and lunch only, Monday through Saturday 7am-3pm. Today we ordered the matchless #3 eggs&bacon and the breakfast burger. This burger is definitely what you'd expect a morning sandwich to taste like if Tony Bourdain were in charge of the cooking. A woman at the next table had the cinnamon roll that all the locals keep raving about, and from the noises she made it’s amazing as well. We’d go more often except the will power and the waistline can’t withstand the huge portions!

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Arizona
“Delicious Sweet Rolls, Great Breakfast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

My husband, two grandsons ages 6 and 7 years, and I had breakfast at Gus Balon's. What a great time for all! The children's menu had a great selection and so much better than what we find at most places. Our breakfast was great even though the portions were large. The sweet roll was not only huge but delicious. All food was very reasonably priced. The staff was competent and friendly. We can hardly wait to go again. The grandsons declared this as our secret breakfast place for when they visit.
Try it! You will like it at Gus Balon's Restaurant