“A Gem!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
MT
“A Gem!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

One of the definite highlights of my recent trip to Tucson was a stop at the Cushing Street Bar and Grill. I ordered the swordfish and my dining companion had the chicken and couscous. We were both over the moon with the presentation and intricate flavors and contrasting textures. I was delighted when my plate arrived and I found a large pile of perfectly sautéed vegetables accompanying my fish and mashed potatoes. It truly could not have been better. Kudos to Craig, the chef.

I am accustomed to paying at least $10 more than what I paid at Cushing Street for such a fabulous meal. The prices are very reasonable.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the bartender. Gabe is as adept at discussing literature as he is at slinging drinks. Two great traits in a bartender! He took extra care to make sure our drinks were just the way we wanted them to be.

The pride and care taken by the warm and welcoming proprietress, Betsy, was evident everywhere in this cozy little gem found in Tucson's barrio.
Do yourself a favor when in Tucson and travel to the barrio to experience Cushing Street Bar and Grill. I'm glad I found it!

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Betsy R, Owner at Cushing Street Bar & Restaurant, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
I wish you knew how much a review such as yours means to us in the heart of Tucson's summer! It makes the heat and the slower pace worthwhile knowing that you really enjoyed what we offer. Thank you for giving us this "super-boost" and we hope you will return soon. Gabe will love reading your review. He is very talented and hard working; besides bartending and literature he excels as a musician and a carpenter!

Marana, Arizona, United States
“A lovely evening all around!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

Small, but nice place. Excellent, fresh mojito! Appetizers were the best! We had the bacon mac and cheese- creamy and awesome. And the chorizo stuffed mushrooms- also wonderful! My husband had the cajun meatloaf, which was good, but really just good meatloaf, nothing special. I had the artichoke and carrot saute, which was very fresh and delicious, but not as awesome as the mac and cheese. The chocolate mousse pie was heavenly and quite large- we shared. The jazz band was very talented and made for a beautiful evening. Our waiter was very good- polite and attentive. The rest of the staff was very nice, too. If you go on Saturday night, make a reservation well in advance. We called at 5 for a 6:30 reservation and they seemed unsure they would be able to fit us in.

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Hopefully you will come back later this summer to sample the new menu we are putting out. You definitely enjoy food, and we appreciate your comments. Also, the compliments mean so much to us. While the service team is in direct contact with our customers, those of us who are not always in the front of the house can get a feel for "what is going on", through TA reviews. When our customers are happy, TA is one of the best ways for those on our team in the back of the house, to get that good energy from those we serve.
tucson, az
“Tucson hidden retreat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

Great food, ambiance and history! Courtyard beautiful, nice romantic atmoshere. NO TV! So nice. Food American bistro, fresh, lovely presentation. Building historic adobe, ask Doug about history. Jazz on Saturdays. Good value as well.

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
You are the best!!!! And since you are one of the savviest travelers I know (!), your TA review means all the more. Thank you, and hopefully with you pointing the way, we will be less hidden, but remain a retreat for our fantastic clientele that we love.
Tucson, Arizona
““THESE ARE A FEW OF MY FAVORITE THINGS…””
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

Favorite Saturday night hang. Favorite place for jazz. Favorite bartender. Favorite carrot cake. Need I say more? Well, since you insist…

I love the historical building and furnishings. The Jeff Lewis Trio/Quartet consistently delivers great straight ahead jazz with some of Tucson’s finest musicians (including Jack Wood, Rob Boone, Ed Delucia). Susie (favorite bartender) has my favorite drink sent over before I even ask. If Betsy (the owner) is in the house, she never fails to extend a warm greeting or send over a little “recognition” to celebrate a special occasion.

The menu is small but tasty. Desserts divine. Drinks exceptional.

There may be an occasional glitch, and if I were to offer one “complaint” it would be that I miss the jazz being on the patio, but I have been coming here for years, and overall, the service, food, ambiance (and jazz) have earned an excellent rating. You will definitely want to make a reservation, as the place fills up during events at the convention center.

This is a place where people make an effort to “know your name” and what makes a difference for you “when the dog bites…when the bee stings…when you’re feeling bad…”

So “simply remember my favorite things”…and head over to Cushing St. Saturday night. I think you’ll be glad you did!

Visited April 2014
I don't know where to begin to thank you. We seldom get a review such as yours. One of our favorite reasons to be in this industry is to serve and get to know customers like you. Generosity is such a gift, and we all appreciate you taking the time to review us on TA. We could never thank you enough, but please know that your enthusiasm means a lot to us. Thank you from all of us.
Tucson, Arizona
“Love the Quaint Atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

This is a great place. I went for Appetizers... It seems that I always do. I enjoyed the size of the interior and food was Yummy! A friend of mine and I sat up by the Jazz Trio..(right in front) so it was a bit loud, but that is ok. It was a bit pricey, but that was ok. The wait staff was a bit slow, but that was ok.

Visited May 2014
You are a dream customer. Thank you for your patience, your compliments and your coming in to hear our Jazz, Straight Up. It's usually so busy on those nights, sometimes we can't give our best service, so thank you for being relaxed. The energy in the room when Jeff Lewis and the other musicians are "in the house" is consistently good, and it seems you "got it". Thank you for coming by. We hope you return. Thank you too for taking the time to comment on Trip Advisor. We really respect this review site.