“WOW!!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Mama Louisa's Italian Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #249 of 1,696 Restaurants in Tucson
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Dessert
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 29th Street
Description: A Family Tradition since 1956. Homemade pastas and aged sauces offer a traditional Italian flavor. The menu offers a wide range of Italian favorites from lasagna, eggplant parmigiana, manicotti, canneloni, chicken, veal, shrimp, pizzas and our signature pasta dish Joe's Special, Salad bar available for all meals. Lunch Special, Mon-Sat 11-2 Soup, Salad and Pasta Bar. Early Evening Specials and Happy Hour 3-6 pm daily. The decor of the restaurant features hand-painted murals from the 1950's and 1970's.
Denver, Colorado
“WOW!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

What a wonderful surprise. We went looking for Italian and first impressions almost made us leave. However, we went in and had an incredible meal,

The food is excellent, the prices were moderate and the server was very attentive.

Strongly recommend Mama Louisa's for dinner.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Addicted to the red sauce”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I have tried many Italian restaurants in the area and I like this sauce the best. It most closely resembles my father's sauce growing up, i.e. homemade with good flavor. I like the soup and salad bar, Italian wedding (fav) and my go to entrees are Joe's pasta, more addicting each time, trust me, alfredo, pesto, chicken parm, fried zucchini (delicious) and peperoni pizza (heaven). The bar area is warm and cozy if you are wanting a romantic feel. I have found the service to be welcoming and accommodating.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Tucson, Arizona
“Never Return”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Ordered shrimp scampi & italian wedding soup to go. Should have left when the person ahead of me said to the server & the owner that the sauce is different...not like it used to be. When I returned home I found dried old noodles with no sauce....6 pieces of shrimp not shelled properly & cooked in old oil....the soup tasted of old oil. As I was waiting I observed the staff not happy...the floors are filthy and the rest is dusty....old decor. What I was charged is a ripoff. I haven't been there in years but with new owner the food is terrible. I can forgo the decor if the food is worth it. Needless to say I was very unhappy with what I received. I will not return.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Suzy2041, Owner at Mama Louisa's Italian Restaurant, responded to this review, January 19, 2013
I was on duty last night when you came in. My family has owned the restaurant since 1973 and that is the year I started here. I had a guest guestion the breadding on a veal last night but not one person complained about the sauce. Our shrimp scampi is made with butter not oil. We do not add oil to the wedding soup either. Our receipes have not changed, my sister is in charge of the kitchen and started here when she was 15 and is now 50. I don't think you can get anymore consistent than that. As for the decor we are a traditional family restaurant and the murals are from the 1950's. Tucson has many locally owned restaurants and I am sure that one will plese you.
Tucson, Arizona
“best italian”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

M L's serves the authentic marinara sauce in the city....been going there for 30 years and the food is consistently good...."Joe's sauce resembles closest my grandmother's recipe.

Visited January 2013
Tucson, AZ
“Great Value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

Went here to celebrate our 49th. Quiet, charming, good food great value, hard to beat for the $$. Early bird specials excellent chicken Picata very good, Scampi excellent. Super salad bar. Fine service. Fancier Foothills places have same food for twice the price and twice the /:)$&@$ noise.