If your family likes to hike, bike, golf (or attempt golfing on a driving range), and/or swim, you should stay at this resort. Here are some tips followed by some mentions of the outstanding service we received.
The 6:00 am hike is worth the early wake up. It's mostly in the shade which is an added bonus. We walked away with new found excitement for cacti.
The Lazy River and water slide were hits with my kids. Kids need to be at least 42" to ride the slide. They don't allow tandem riding. You can wait at the bottom of the slide and catch your kid if he's a novice swimmer.
When we arrived, we dropped our luggage with the bell desk and self-parked. We knew from reading another review that the self-parking would be far away (and a resort operator also mentioned this fact prior to our arrival). We found the walk to be a nice opportunity to stroll through the air-conditioned hotel. Along the way there is a gift shop and an observation area with binoculars that my kids enjoyed. Not everyone was so thrilled with the walk. My husband witnessed a couple having a tantrum in front of the bellhop when they realized how far the self-parking was from the front desk. Just be warned, the guest parking comes before the main entrance when you drive up. So, keep driving to the main entrance, drop your bags and then self-park your car. It's easy.
During our stay, we ventured out for 1/2 day excursions to Kartchner Caverns State Park and to the Pima Air & Space Museum. Highly recommend both. My kids, who are 5, 7 and 8, enjoyed both attractions. If you leave the Starr Pass property, don't expect to find another Starbucks en route to either of those locations; so get your coffee before you go.
Before we checked-in until the time we checked-out, we received outstanding service. CARISSA answered the phone at the various times prior to our visit and patiently answered my string of questions before our arrival. JOHANNA answered questions about activities for kids and offered arts & crafts supplies if we needed them. Rooms Controller KATELYN noted my request for connecting rooms and we were placed in what we thought was a perfect location (Thank you Katelyn!). COLE at the front desk ensured we received the resort packages we were promised during booking and he arranged for a mini-fridge for our room (Thank you Cole!). Bellman DAVID was terrific help with the huge amount of luggage required for a family of five; he was friendly and gave us some good tips for our stay. HAL happily lugged all of the luggage back down at the end of the trip. Dinner server PEDRO F. at Catalina BBQ was friendly and attentive. DAVID at the golf shop set up my kids for their first time on a driving range and they had a blast. PAUL ALLEN was kind and efficient as he helped me settle our final bill.
The associates with Southwest Trekking (the onsite vendor who provides biking and hiking services) were enthusiastic and knowledgeable. They gave us some tips for places to ride with our kids. PNUT (nickname) guided our early morning hike and he was fantastic.
Overall, one of the best resort experiences we've had.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- JW Marriott Starr Pass Resort and SpaEnjoy the mountains of Arizona at JW Marriott Starr Pass Tucson Resort & Spa. Located just west of an area considered the birthplace of Tucson, AZ, this resort hotel is rich with culture, history and beauty. Experience a truly unique destination resort complete with world class spa facilities and nationally acclaimed Arizona golf courses. Fine dining and award winning restaurants further complement this one of a kind Tucson resort hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotels.com, Expedia, Marriott, TripOnline SA, Despegar.com, Orbitz and Tingo so you can book your JW Marriott Starr Pass Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jw Marriott Starr Pass Resort And Spa
- Jw Marriott Starr Pass Hotel Tucson
- Jw Marriott Tucson
- Marriott Starr Pass Hotel
- Marriott Tucson
- Tucson Marriott