“Fun Resort and Great Service” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Up To 25,000 Points
Ranked #6 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
San Diego, California
“Fun Resort and Great Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

If your family likes to hike, bike, golf (or attempt golfing on a driving range), and/or swim, you should stay at this resort. Here are some tips followed by some mentions of the outstanding service we received.

The 6:00 am hike is worth the early wake up. It's mostly in the shade which is an added bonus. We walked away with new found excitement for cacti.

The Lazy River and water slide were hits with my kids. Kids need to be at least 42" to ride the slide. They don't allow tandem riding. You can wait at the bottom of the slide and catch your kid if he's a novice swimmer.

When we arrived, we dropped our luggage with the bell desk and self-parked. We knew from reading another review that the self-parking would be far away (and a resort operator also mentioned this fact prior to our arrival). We found the walk to be a nice opportunity to stroll through the air-conditioned hotel. Along the way there is a gift shop and an observation area with binoculars that my kids enjoyed. Not everyone was so thrilled with the walk. My husband witnessed a couple having a tantrum in front of the bellhop when they realized how far the self-parking was from the front desk. Just be warned, the guest parking comes before the main entrance when you drive up. So, keep driving to the main entrance, drop your bags and then self-park your car. It's easy.

During our stay, we ventured out for 1/2 day excursions to Kartchner Caverns State Park and to the Pima Air & Space Museum. Highly recommend both. My kids, who are 5, 7 and 8, enjoyed both attractions. If you leave the Starr Pass property, don't expect to find another Starbucks en route to either of those locations; so get your coffee before you go.

Before we checked-in until the time we checked-out, we received outstanding service. CARISSA answered the phone at the various times prior to our visit and patiently answered my string of questions before our arrival. JOHANNA answered questions about activities for kids and offered arts & crafts supplies if we needed them. Rooms Controller KATELYN noted my request for connecting rooms and we were placed in what we thought was a perfect location (Thank you Katelyn!). COLE at the front desk ensured we received the resort packages we were promised during booking and he arranged for a mini-fridge for our room (Thank you Cole!). Bellman DAVID was terrific help with the huge amount of luggage required for a family of five; he was friendly and gave us some good tips for our stay. HAL happily lugged all of the luggage back down at the end of the trip. Dinner server PEDRO F. at Catalina BBQ was friendly and attentive. DAVID at the golf shop set up my kids for their first time on a driving range and they had a blast. PAUL ALLEN was kind and efficient as he helped me settle our final bill.

The associates with Southwest Trekking (the onsite vendor who provides biking and hiking services) were enthusiastic and knowledgeable. They gave us some tips for places to ride with our kids. PNUT (nickname) guided our early morning hike and he was fantastic.

Overall, one of the best resort experiences we've had.

Room Tip: Since we have kids, we were thankful for being conveniently located in Building 2 which is close to...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

We just stay here for the first time and it defiantly won't be the last. Amazing views with amazing service. We even received help from Ernesto when we were trying to carry some bags with three small kids. Thank you Ernesto for making our time with you that much better!

• Stayed July 2014
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

My husband and I went for memorial weekend. He wanted to golf and I just wanted to relax by the pool and enjoy the spa. The front desk staff are very friendly and they do not rush you thru the check in process. They want to to make sure you know all the amenities of the hotel. Our room was ready on time and was very comfortable. The hotel is surrounded by a lot of natural beauty, which made for great morning hikes.
I was happy that I had booked several treatments at the spa because the pool was extremely busy with children and I was able to hang out at the adult only pool (when you book a service). We would definitely return.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Scottsdale, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

I stayed one night prior to an early business meeting the following morning and needless to say did not get much sleep. The grounds and property as a whole are beautiful however I happened to be there on a sorority convention weekend as well as many vacationers and got almost no sleep. I am not one to complain normally however the constant opening and closing of doors late at night as well as young kids yelling going down the halls made me feel as if I was sleeping with my door wide open. Unlike other reviews the service I recieved was professional, polite and accommodating. I would definitely return to enjoy the beauty of the resort however only in the low season.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Chad L, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Starr Pass Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you very much for taking time to share about your experience at the resort. The JW Marriott strives to craft an authentic and intuitive experience for all of our guests, and it was disheartening to learn that you were not able to get peaceful rest. We value your personalized perspective and look forward to another opportunity at a tranquil experience.

Kind regards,

Chad Lybrook
Guest Relations Manager
Sahuarita, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

My family and I stayed at Starr Pass for the 4th of July. This was our second year coming to Starr Pass for their 4th of July festivities. As always we had a great time and the service was excellent. We enjoyed breakfast and lunch at the Signature Grill with an AMAZING server, Max. He remembered us from last year and his service was once again exceptional. We also reserved a new Deluxe Cabana for the 4th and Brian continued to check up on us and ensure that we were pleased. Finally, I treated myself and got a Hashani Pedicure. Dianna at the spa was very friendly and did a great job. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
El Paso, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

I am a Tucson native and have stayed at this resort three times. I really enjoy the scenery and beauty around this property. It is put on the Southside of Tucson (the roughest side of town), but up in a bit of a secluded area that overlooks the Southside. Each time I have been, bellmen have been very friendly and consistently call me by name each time I see them. Check in is always very fast and efficient, not particularly friendly though. If you are booking with a discount such as AAA, government or senior discount rates, please beware, they will put you in the worst rooms of the hotel. This has happened to me on all three occasions.

The lobby, restaurants and pools are beautiful.

The pool service in both the large pool and "kiddie pool area" is horrific. Each time I have been, THERE HAS BEEN ONLY ONE POOL SERVER PER POOL - FOR THIS MASSIVE 540 ROOM HOTEL. I have waited over an hour several times for food and drink. It was explained to me both times by the pool boy that "the pool is extremely understaffed." I politely complained each time about taking an hour to get 1 beverage and he comped the bill. I recommend you do the same as this has happened to me on several occasions, even on packed days such as holidays and weekends. This level of service is unacceptable for a Marriott Resort, particularly a JW Marriott Resort!

Overall, gorgeous property but terrible service.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Chad L, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Starr Pass Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Dear Matt C,

After thoughtfully reviewing your guest experience at Plunge, I would like to express my sincerest apologies for any inconvenience we may have caused during your stay. I understand your frustration with your experience as we too expect only the highest quality in service and product standards. We have taken steps to rectify the service issues you have described through appropriate staffing and specific training for our team members.

Thank you so much for your loyalty to our resort and honest feedback as it allows us to better ourselves for future guests. I hope that you continue your loyalty with our hotel so that we have the opportunity to demonstrate the true standards that we hold here at the JW Marriott Starr Pass.

Kind Regards,

Plunge Leadership Team
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

The spacious rooms and views and consistently excellent service made for a great weekend. We enjoyed a jazz concert on site while Linda's son and two grandkids enjoyed the pools and Lazy River. Joe was our pleasant and attentive server at breakfasts and Danielle served us dinner outside Salud one evening just after dusk while Tesoro (Flamenco) played on the patio. This was a combined family and couple getaway weekend, and the venue works well for either. We have also stayed as a couple for New Year's Eve and enjoyed the holiday decor and outdoor fire pits and heaters that allowed us to stretch our outdoor time during the mild Tucson, AZ "winter". We don't play golf, but a brother-in-law who has a very low handicap has played their course and says it is both challenging (from the long tees) and enjoyable.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 4th-8th floors facing Tucson (east) generally have the best views. Some rooms have smal...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Been to JW Marriott Starr Pass Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!