“Almost perfect. Almost...” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
Wakefield, MA
“Almost perfect. Almost...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

This is a beautiful place. The staff at the restaurants and front desk deserve a sixth star. The concierges were awesome. Very warm and genuine, and the overnight front desk staff who are there until 8 AM are fantastic.

I would love it, though, if the trails for walking behind the property were a bit more clearly marked (you can quickly find yourself walking on the golf course rather than the walking paths) and that the unpaved trails around the hills out the front of the hotel were better marked. I never found the Lorraine Lee trail based on the instructions from one of the desk staff and had to come back. Bummer.

The gym needs a bit of an upgrade. And big pet peeve: if a running machine is broken, PUT A SIGN ON IT. I watched five people in the course of 20 minutes get up on the broken treadmill, get ready to run, and then realize it wasn't working. You don't want to see how frustrated people look at that moment, and how that accrues to the Marriott brand. Also no towels there when I got there one morning. A lot of people are there for conferences, and you have to expect a full house by 5 AM at a hotel gym.

If you are staying here, get a cab and go out to the Sonora Desert Museum. It costs about $25 each way. Such an amazing place.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, request a room overlooking the golf course and the lazy river.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

My husband and I decided to spend a quiet evening together and go out to dinner for something different that has always been excellent food and outstanding service. We asked to sit by the window at the Signature Grill and the hostess was very accommodating. Our favorite waiter, JB, was our server and he remembered us although we hadn't been there recently. He made sure I received special treatment in choosing my dinner because I have a wheat and gluten allergy. We both started with a glass of wine to relax and enjoy the city view. Our bus server was also very attentive and while he brought an appetizer that had gluten for my husband, he offered something for me. JB made the night very special and even suggested I call ahead next time for a special gluten free dessert. We highly recommend the Signature Grill and will be back soon.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

Let me begin by saying that prior to check in, I had experienced terrible customer service at the Omni Tucson (We'll save that review for somewhere else). So I began to feel cursed when I checked into this hotel at midnight and walked clear across the resort only to find the key to my room didn't work. BUT BOY did the service I receive after that make up for it! All of the staff here is very friendly and the spa at this place is phenomenal! Raymond from room service rushed a key to me that night I checked in so I didn't have to walk across the resort back to the front desk. Later, he had the front desk send me a personalized card with fruit and wine as a formal apology of sorts (it was a very nice touch). All in all the staff here is exceptional and I will be making the JW my preferred hotel while in Tucson.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the rest of the resort as this will promise amazing views of the city and s...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

Since I am a vegan, I had planned on eating at a vegan friendly restaurant in downtown Tucson. It was getting late so I decided to check out the menu at The Signature Grill. Besides, a few salads, there were no vegan options. I asked the host if she could recommend any items that could be done vegan. She suggested that I speak with the head chef. Chef Juan Hernandez, also known as TJ, came out immediately to discuss my options. He asked me what I liked and he told me he could definitely prepare a great vegan meal for me. He was good-natured and he had a friendly demeanor. He was passionate about his food and he wanted to make sure I was pleased with my meal and experience at the restaurant. In addition to preparing my meal, he personally brought it out to me and I must say it was delicious!!! I will definitely come back and I highly recommend Chef TJ!!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

The JW Marriott Starr Pass Resort is a wonderful experience in every area and the Resort's staff is responsible. Everyone we encountered did all they could to make our stay an enjoyable one, especially Max at the Signature Grill. Not only was he an excellent waiter, he offered great advice on day trips and always did so with a smile. The Resort's restaurants, pools and atmosphere are all top notch. I will be recommending this resort..

Room Tip: We really enjoyed our balcony room that faced the interior of the resort.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

My wife and I spent 3 days at the J.W. Marriott Starr Pass and loved it. The food was great, the views were excellent, and the amenities were ample. I would go again in a heartbeat! We especially liked the outdoor patio with the view overlooking the city. The bar food served there was superb, and one night we had a truly great flamenco-Mexican fusion trio playing that topped off the evening. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: You have two choices of room views. One looks out over the desert mountain behind the resort, but if...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Pompano Beach, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

We stay here annually for our trip out to the Tucson Gem & Mineral Show. I booked our stay 10 months in advance (as usual) to make sure I go the room we wanted. We booked 6 nights and thank goodness I printed & brought our email confirmation of this booking because upon our arrival the front desk informed us we only had 1 night booked. So as a result they had to put us in another room (at the end of the hotel over a loud service/employee parking lot) because they were full. They had no idea why the glitch happened. Perhaps b/c of this mix up, we were ignored "Room refresh" & bottled water to our room for the entire stay. On the last night I asked a bell boy who was delivering water to our neighbors if we could get a few bottles. He happily complied. I would think management would call to check on us and apologize in some way for what happened, but nothing.

I love this hotel and we use the spa services too each time. So I cannot give it a bade review. The rooms are clean & lovely. And the front desk staff is very nice and willing to acommodate as best as they are able to. Just very dissappointed that we were treated this way and then ignored, especially as frequent repeat visitors wand Marriott Rewards members.

Room Tip: I used to say all views here are good until we had the experience we had this year.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Been to JW Marriott Starr Pass Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!