“First Class Resort - First Class Staff” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #6 of 127 hotels in Tucson
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
“First Class Resort - First Class Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

If you are coming to Tucson you better be staying in the JW Starr Pass. I have been to this property several times for work conferences and have always enjoyed the luxurious rooms and great conference meeting facilities, however I have always wished my family was there with me to really enjoy all of that the property has to offer. Well I decided to get out of the Phoenix heat and to have a weekend vacation at the resort in June.The drive to the hotel is great and you get a true sense of resort as you drive away from the City and towards the peaceful Tucson mountains. Check-in was great and there was staff everywhere offering to help but not in an overwhelming way as can be the case at some resorts. The room was large and very clean and visually pleasing as they always are at this property. Our girls couldn't wait in the room for long and we were quickly on the way to the pools. There are three pools at the property including a lap pool for exercising, a large two level traditional pool for whole families and a third lazy river pool with a water slide.

We quickly chased behind our daughters who were making their way to the lazy river. At a central location between the pools you check in at a casita where you get wrist bands, towels and water. Once we checked-in the staff remembered our names and said hi as we came in and out of the different pools. I was very worried that getting to the property in the afternoon there would be no lounge chairs available and if there were they certainly wouldn’t be in the shade. WRONG.. There were plenty of chairs available and every chair around the pool has shade provided by numerous shades. I couldn’t have been happier as I hate baking in the sun. The girls loved the slide and the I even had to go down it a couple of time with them. Floating around in the free tubes as a family was wonderful and we made a lot of new friends in the process.

I had planned on letting the girls swim for a little while and then leaving to get some lunch, however my wife and I couldn't get the kids out of the river and slide they were having so much fun. So I cautiously decided to order lunch poolside knowing that at some resorts that is the worst thing possible as everything is stone cold when it gets to you. There were lots of fresh choices for kids and adults on the menu and we ordered some hamburgers, nachos and quesadillas. To my surprise and delight everything came out quickly and was hot and delicious. For the rest of the weekend we ate our lunches poolside. We also spent a lot of time in the larger pool which is very large and although there were a lot of people at the resort that weekend I never felt cramped. Plenty of shade and chairs at the large pool as well. The other thing I loved about the pool area is that there was cold ice water in coolers everywhere and we took full advantage of it. In my opinion there is nothing worse than not having water at an Arizona resort and having to buy expensive bottles of water all day long just to stay alive. Not the Case at the JW – free ice cold fresh water all day long.

I also noticed a Marriott manager in a full suit visiting the pool on occasion and casually making sure that all the guests were having a great time and to see if they needed anything. When he came by I noticed that it was Chad Lybrook who often responds to reviews on this site. That made me happy to see that upper management was out and about and making sure that the resort lives up to its name and that guests were happy.

We ate dinner both nights in the signature grill. The food was delicious and the buffet for the kids was free which was awesome. It included mini corndogs, fruits, yogurt and jello, Chicken Strips, tater tots and many other items. It was perfect for our girls.

All in all it was a very enjoyable stay at a first class resort and we are determined to come back each year and start a new family tradition at the JW Starr Pass.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

1,036 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
Sedona, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

I have stayed at this resort many times and never did I have to pay for parking. It seems to be a new fad in the industry.. I made my reservations on Priceline and got what I thought was an affordable rate for me. When I got to the Resort at 10pm after a long trip, I was informed that there was an additional $25 a night for internet and parking called " a resort fee'". You have to park there where else would you park??? When I complained that I was not told about this prior, I was told it is in the small print. They agreed to waive the charge, but still charged me $12.95 for internet and $10 for self parking. Why don't they just tell you the real price from the beginning. It's like bait and switch and underhanded for a five star hotel. I am not staying there again.

Room Tip: Rooms near parking are preferred or it's a long walk
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Chad L, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Starr Pass Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for sharing about your experience at JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa. Upon receipt of your review, I contacted our Department Leaders about your concerns and I offer the following as clarification. The required $25 Resort Fee includes amenities such as nightly overnight self-parking ($10) and High Speed Internet Access ($12.95 per day). All the amenities offered in the Resort Fee collectively represent a total value of $110. I can certainly understand any confusion as the Priceline.com Summary page does not include the Resort Fee as a part of the Amount Due calculation, as this fee is collect by the Resort and not Priceline.com. I verified with our team and Priceline that the Resort Fee is published on the Priceline Terms and Conditions page and when selecting a room type, it is noted on the initial booking page. I certainly respect your position and appreciate the feedback, thank you for your time and consideration.

Kind regards,

Chad Lybrook
Guest Relations Manager
Swansea, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

This is our 3rd trip to the Starr Pass. This hotel exemplifies what good service is all about. From the housekeeping staff, to the restaurants [PRIMO, SIGNATURE GRILL , Catalina BBQ} the bell staff, front desk staff, valet staff. , etc. Each time we go to the resort it is the same grand service. Some of the fantastic employees are as follows:
Kari, Chad , Dan, Ian, Trisk, Joe, Micaela,Jesyca, Lexi, Mike, Marcus ,Kathy. Max and Alex, etc.etc.,etc

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Enterprise, Alabama, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

What an awesome resort hotel!! The JW Marriott Starr Pass was outstanding!! This is my second trip to the Tucson area on business and we definitely got a winner here. They actually had the government rate available because it was late in the season, so even better. The staff went out of their way to make us feel comfortable and to ensure that we had everything we needed. The regular rooms do not have a fridge or microwave but we requested them and they were brought to our room immediately. This made our week stay a lot nicer. My room was great; it had all of the nice features of home. I loved the mattress, and it was nice and comfy!! The resort is set in the hills above Tucson with great views day and night. The foothills were covered with the saguaro cacti native to the area, just beautiful. The pool areas were amazing, really enjoyed the lazy river!! At night we sat out on the back deck to have a drink and enjoy the view of Tucson lights and the pool area. Really have to say that all of the staff we encountered was great!! Loved all of the wildlife!! We had families of gambel quail, javelina, rabbits and an abundance of birds all over the resort!! There were great restaurants nearby; we really enjoyed Daisy Mae's Steak House. It is definitely a small hole in the wall place with awesome food!!!

Kearneysville, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

My husband traveled to Tucson recently for work and my son and I decided to tag along for a little relaxation time. This resort is beautiful with two pools and a lazy river with water slide. We were able to relax by the pool/lazy river with food/beverage service available pool side. My 9 year old son thought this was fabulous! In the evenings, we sat on the patio and made smores right over the fire pit. Also a big hit with kids. We had no transportation during the day as my husband was working, but there was so much to do right there at the resort, no need to go anywhere else. The food and drinks are a little pricey but the food was good.

Room Tip: Corner suites are very spacious with great views.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Top notch service from the time you exit your car to the time you get back in to leave! The views and the atmosphere of the hotel itself is a sight to see. Nice nightlife and a staff that will bend over backwards to serve you to your needs. The remodeled section is a very nice location for those attending meetings.

Moberly, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I traveled to this resort for a large conference and while traveling to Tucson in the middle of August did not sound like a lot of fun, I must say that the resort was a lovely place to stay. All of the staff were incredibly engaging and helpful. The pool areas were all very well maintained (other than the stray tarantulas and the rogue baby rattler). Additionally, the "conference" food was amazing. I have a gluten intolerance and was amazed to see that all of our food was labeled as "gluten free" where appropriate and one day when there were wraps out, they went into the kitchen and brought out special gluten free sandwiches for all of us unfortunates that could not have the wraps. Again, I would have to say that the shining stars of this resort are definitely the staff !

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Been to JW Marriott Starr Pass Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!