“Hidden Charges” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 127 hotels in Tucson
Sedona, Arizona
“Hidden Charges”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

I have stayed at this resort many times and never did I have to pay for parking. It seems to be a new fad in the industry.. I made my reservations on Priceline and got what I thought was an affordable rate for me. When I got to the Resort at 10pm after a long trip, I was informed that there was an additional $25 a night for internet and parking called " a resort fee'". You have to park there where else would you park??? When I complained that I was not told about this prior, I was told it is in the small print. They agreed to waive the charge, but still charged me $12.95 for internet and $10 for self parking. Why don't they just tell you the real price from the beginning. It's like bait and switch and underhanded for a five star hotel. I am not staying there again.

Room Tip: Rooms near parking are preferred or it's a long walk
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Chad L, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Starr Pass Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for sharing about your experience at JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa. Upon receipt of your review, I contacted our Department Leaders about your concerns and I offer the following as clarification. The required $25 Resort Fee includes amenities such as nightly overnight self-parking ($10) and High Speed Internet Access ($12.95 per day). All the amenities offered in the Resort Fee collectively represent a total value of $110. I can certainly understand any confusion as the Priceline.com Summary page does not include the Resort Fee as a part of the Amount Due calculation, as this fee is collect by the Resort and not Priceline.com. I verified with our team and Priceline that the Resort Fee is published on the Priceline Terms and Conditions page and when selecting a room type, it is noted on the initial booking page. I certainly respect your position and appreciate the feedback, thank you for your time and consideration.

Kind regards,

Chad Lybrook
Guest Relations Manager

1,039 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
Swansea, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

This is our 3rd trip to the Starr Pass. This hotel exemplifies what good service is all about. From the housekeeping staff, to the restaurants [PRIMO, SIGNATURE GRILL , Catalina BBQ} the bell staff, front desk staff, valet staff. , etc. Each time we go to the resort it is the same grand service. Some of the fantastic employees are as follows:
Kari, Chad , Dan, Ian, Trisk, Joe, Micaela,Jesyca, Lexi, Mike, Marcus ,Kathy. Max and Alex, etc.etc.,etc

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Enterprise, Alabama, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

What an awesome resort hotel!! The JW Marriott Starr Pass was outstanding!! This is my second trip to the Tucson area on business and we definitely got a winner here. They actually had the government rate available because it was late in the season, so even better. The staff went out of their way to make us feel comfortable and to ensure that we had everything we needed. The regular rooms do not have a fridge or microwave but we requested them and they were brought to our room immediately. This made our week stay a lot nicer. My room was great; it had all of the nice features of home. I loved the mattress, and it was nice and comfy!! The resort is set in the hills above Tucson with great views day and night. The foothills were covered with the saguaro cacti native to the area, just beautiful. The pool areas were amazing, really enjoyed the lazy river!! At night we sat out on the back deck to have a drink and enjoy the view of Tucson lights and the pool area. Really have to say that all of the staff we encountered was great!! Loved all of the wildlife!! We had families of gambel quail, javelina, rabbits and an abundance of birds all over the resort!! There were great restaurants nearby; we really enjoyed Daisy Mae's Steak House. It is definitely a small hole in the wall place with awesome food!!!

Kearneysville, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

My husband traveled to Tucson recently for work and my son and I decided to tag along for a little relaxation time. This resort is beautiful with two pools and a lazy river with water slide. We were able to relax by the pool/lazy river with food/beverage service available pool side. My 9 year old son thought this was fabulous! In the evenings, we sat on the patio and made smores right over the fire pit. Also a big hit with kids. We had no transportation during the day as my husband was working, but there was so much to do right there at the resort, no need to go anywhere else. The food and drinks are a little pricey but the food was good.

Room Tip: Corner suites are very spacious with great views.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Top notch service from the time you exit your car to the time you get back in to leave! The views and the atmosphere of the hotel itself is a sight to see. Nice nightlife and a staff that will bend over backwards to serve you to your needs. The remodeled section is a very nice location for those attending meetings.

Moberly, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I traveled to this resort for a large conference and while traveling to Tucson in the middle of August did not sound like a lot of fun, I must say that the resort was a lovely place to stay. All of the staff were incredibly engaging and helpful. The pool areas were all very well maintained (other than the stray tarantulas and the rogue baby rattler). Additionally, the "conference" food was amazing. I have a gluten intolerance and was amazed to see that all of our food was labeled as "gluten free" where appropriate and one day when there were wraps out, they went into the kitchen and brought out special gluten free sandwiches for all of us unfortunates that could not have the wraps. Again, I would have to say that the shining stars of this resort are definitely the staff !

Milton, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

Our family of two adults and two children stayed two nights on our Military move from Florida to California. This place was wonderful! The room was very clean and pretty, the food was fabulous, the lazy river was awesome, and the overall feel of this location was nice. It was nice to enjoy a cocktail at sunset on the outside patio and get a Starbucks coffee in the morning! We will definitely be back!

• Stayed June 2013

Been to JW Marriott Starr Pass Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!