Our family of 5 stayed here this weekend and had a wonderful time. We have three young children and were comfortable in the standard room. Tight squeeze with the roll away bed, but very manageable. Also enjoyed looking at the animals they had by the pool including owls, a snake, scorpion and tarantula. They brought these in late on Saturday afternoon.
First impression when walking in was, WOW, look at the view. Stunning. For the most part, the service was top notch from the friendly and informative check in to the friendly and accommodating staff in the Signature Grill and the poolside service. We had breakfast in the Signature Grill where the kids under 5 eat free from the buffet. Quite large selection of fresh fruit, pastries, cereals and the regular hot assortment. They also will get freshly made pancakes, eggs if desired. The food prices are in line with most resorts (high) but the value of the kids eating free helps to offset that. The program we were under also allowed children under 12 to eat free for dinner which we took advantage of on our second night. My husband enjoyed his burger and I enjoyed the braised shortribs (we didn't order dessert so we could enjoy some later on outside as I will explain below). The pools were great and I felt they were less crowded than the JW Marriott Desert Ridge. The lazy river got crowded in the mid afternoon, but the main pool was not as busy. We had no trouble getting loungers. We had lunch poolside and enjoyed the carne asada nachos (large enough for my husband and I to share) and the kids ate all of the quesadilla and chicken fingers. We found our room to be clean and modern. I didn't see anything that needed remodeling in our room. The Salud lounge was just beautiful with the stunning view of the lights of Tucson below at night and both nights they had live music that was in line with enjoying the ambiance of the Southwest. We enjoyed glasses of wine and the kids enjoyed making the smores kit we ordered around the fire pit. Order the churros but beware that they will ruin you for all other churros. Best pillowy churros ever with warm chocolate and caramel dipping sauces.
The Not as Good:
These items would not deter me from returning and I look forward to returning in the near future, but they are worth mentioning as I noticed at least one has been mentioned by other reviewers and has not been rectified. First, on Saturday night the Salud staff were clearly unable to timely serve the amount of patrons. We waited over 20 minutes for a dessert menu and another 30 minutes for the server to return to take our order. With 3 tired young kids who we promised smores to, this made for a lot of impatience and complaining so a less enjoyable time for us. They clearly need more staff of busy Saturday nights. Friday was the opposite experience but far less crowded. Second, we left our hotel room around 9 am and when we returned around 3pm our room had not been serviced. I had to put the kids down for a nap so I knew that putting the do not disturb sign would mean we would not be serviced at all, but it would have been nice if they could have done so before we returned in the afternoon. The front desk had towels and toiletries delivered when we asked later.
While enthralled with learning about the wildlife they brought in I put down our two kindles on the table they had set up. Of course I forgot them there and realized hours later when we were going to bed. The front desk immediately located the missing Kindles and had them delivered to our room. Honest staff say a lot about the quality of the employees and the companies they contract with (assuming the animal handlers were a separate company that turned our kindles in).
Thanks JW Marriott Starr Pass for a wonderful family weekend. We will be back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- JW Marriott Starr Pass Resort and SpaEnjoy the mountains of Arizona at JW Marriott Starr Pass Tucson Resort & Spa. Located just west of an area considered the birthplace of Tucson, AZ, this resort hotel is rich with culture, history and beauty. Experience a truly unique destination resort complete with world class spa facilities and nationally acclaimed Arizona golf courses. Fine dining and award winning restaurants further complement this one of a kind Tucson resort hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Orbitz, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Despegar.com, Hotels.com, Marriott, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your JW Marriott Starr Pass Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jw Marriott Starr Pass Hotel Tucson
- Jw Marriott Starr Pass Resort And Spa
- Jw Marriott Tucson
- Marriott Starr Pass Hotel
- Marriott Tucson
- Tucson Marriott