“Wonderful family resort” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
Phoenix, Arizona
“Wonderful family resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Our family of 5 stayed here this weekend and had a wonderful time. We have three young children and were comfortable in the standard room. Tight squeeze with the roll away bed, but very manageable. Also enjoyed looking at the animals they had by the pool including owls, a snake, scorpion and tarantula. They brought these in late on Saturday afternoon.

The Good:
First impression when walking in was, WOW, look at the view. Stunning. For the most part, the service was top notch from the friendly and informative check in to the friendly and accommodating staff in the Signature Grill and the poolside service. We had breakfast in the Signature Grill where the kids under 5 eat free from the buffet. Quite large selection of fresh fruit, pastries, cereals and the regular hot assortment. They also will get freshly made pancakes, eggs if desired. The food prices are in line with most resorts (high) but the value of the kids eating free helps to offset that. The program we were under also allowed children under 12 to eat free for dinner which we took advantage of on our second night. My husband enjoyed his burger and I enjoyed the braised shortribs (we didn't order dessert so we could enjoy some later on outside as I will explain below). The pools were great and I felt they were less crowded than the JW Marriott Desert Ridge. The lazy river got crowded in the mid afternoon, but the main pool was not as busy. We had no trouble getting loungers. We had lunch poolside and enjoyed the carne asada nachos (large enough for my husband and I to share) and the kids ate all of the quesadilla and chicken fingers. We found our room to be clean and modern. I didn't see anything that needed remodeling in our room. The Salud lounge was just beautiful with the stunning view of the lights of Tucson below at night and both nights they had live music that was in line with enjoying the ambiance of the Southwest. We enjoyed glasses of wine and the kids enjoyed making the smores kit we ordered around the fire pit. Order the churros but beware that they will ruin you for all other churros. Best pillowy churros ever with warm chocolate and caramel dipping sauces.

The Not as Good:
These items would not deter me from returning and I look forward to returning in the near future, but they are worth mentioning as I noticed at least one has been mentioned by other reviewers and has not been rectified. First, on Saturday night the Salud staff were clearly unable to timely serve the amount of patrons. We waited over 20 minutes for a dessert menu and another 30 minutes for the server to return to take our order. With 3 tired young kids who we promised smores to, this made for a lot of impatience and complaining so a less enjoyable time for us. They clearly need more staff of busy Saturday nights. Friday was the opposite experience but far less crowded. Second, we left our hotel room around 9 am and when we returned around 3pm our room had not been serviced. I had to put the kids down for a nap so I knew that putting the do not disturb sign would mean we would not be serviced at all, but it would have been nice if they could have done so before we returned in the afternoon. The front desk had towels and toiletries delivered when we asked later.

The Great:
While enthralled with learning about the wildlife they brought in I put down our two kindles on the table they had set up. Of course I forgot them there and realized hours later when we were going to bed. The front desk immediately located the missing Kindles and had them delivered to our room. Honest staff say a lot about the quality of the employees and the companies they contract with (assuming the animal handlers were a separate company that turned our kindles in).

Thanks JW Marriott Starr Pass for a wonderful family weekend. We will be back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
Alamogordo, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

We are fans of the JW Marriott properties ( I am a silver elite member and I mostly stay in Marriott properties) and this one is a great place to stay but could use some TLC. First of all let me say that the views are magnificent at night looking into Tucson. The staff, as always, is excellent. We were taken care of from the front desk to the pool to the Primo restaurant.

I was a bit surprised at the state of the room though. The carpets are in need of attention, the leather chair by the bed had a long gash in it, and the toilet smelled like someone had missed and it hadn't been cleaned. I brought this last item up to the desk as I was checking out and received apologies. It just seemed as if the cleaning staff hadn't been as thorough as I'm used to in this class of hotel. It is a really nice property but it does need a reno and some TLC in the rooms to get it back up to the level of a JW. I left a comment card detailing some of these items for mgmt to look into.

The Primo restaurant was expensive but worth it IMO. The only nit I had about that was that the server's assistant outshone the server by a zillion. Not sure why they do it this way as I think we saw our server three times the whole evening. The assistant brought our drinks and bread, kept our glasses refilled, and someone else brought our dinners out to us. The place was empty so not sure why the server was so absent. The only reason I tipped her at all was because I wanted to make sure the assistant was taken care and thinking back on it I should have just tipped her separately. I probably would just skip the restaurant the next time around and go into town to find a place with a bit better service and a much cheaper price.

Room Tip: Take advantage of the bell hops to get your luggage to your room the walk from the guest parking and...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Chad L, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Starr Pass Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Dear Marriott Elite Member:

Thank you for taking time to share about your latest experience at the JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa. We sincerely value your personalized perspective about your recent experience, and I apologize that your experience did not exceed the expectations of excellence from a JW Marriott resort. Your concerns about the cleanliness and service have been communicated to leaders of those areas. The housekeeping team has communicated out your concerns about the cleanliness and will continue to focus on a pristine commode. The resort has an extensive “Rejuvenation” scheduled for the summer of 2013 that will bring an authentic look to our rooms and corridors. As a Marriott Rewards Elite Member, we look forward to your return and the opportunity to make a lasting impression on your next visit. If there is anything else that I may be of assistance, please feel free to contact me directly at chad.lybrook@marriott.com

Chad Lybrook
Minneapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

We are big fans of JW properties. This stay we received a large credit for food as well as credit for the Starbucks at the resort. That was a nice bonus that we put to good use. During our stay one of the activities offered was star gazing on the lawn with some very powerful telescopes. This was a big hit with the family! We were disappointed with the staff's ability to keep up with the large crowds for the weekend and keep things tidy. The staff was hard working, but it was not up to our usual experience at JW properties. The hotel was completely full, and our room was a tight squeeze, but the property is beautiful. This is a good choice if you are in the Tucson area.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

This is one beautiful property! Great customer service, spa experience and walking trails surrounding the property. Kitchen staff was very accommodating! I don't play golf, but my husband said it was great, too!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
AZ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

This was one of the worst resort experiences I have ever had! We arrived early and our rooms weren't ready, so we decided to go to the Salud lounge downstairs and have a few drinks while we waited. I ordered a drink but my wife and kids did not want anything at that time. While I still had over half of a full glass, the waitress came over twice to check on us. Once I finished my drink I sat the glass on the table in clear view of waitress waiting for her to come to see if I needed anything else. She passed by our table several times but never stopped. By this time my wife wanted a drink as well but the waitress never stopped to service us again, finally I grew tired of waiting and went to the bar myself. I did notify management and they had another waitress service us but we departed shortly afterwards because our rooms were ready. Later that evening, my wife and I went down to Salud to have some food and drinks, while the service was much better, the food was terrible. We had the Oaxaca Cheese Nachos, which were not very good, the Braised Beef Birria tacos, which were edible, and the Chipotle Chicken Tacos, which were extremely dry. The chicken was so dry that adding salsa did not even help. Finally, the parking was horrendous; we ended up parking on the street that runs around the resort.

Dear Valued Guest:

Thanks very much for taking the time to share your experience at the resort. Like you, I am very disappointed with the shortcomings in your Salud experience throughout your stay. We strive to provide an excellent experience for all of our guests. Clearly, in this case, our performance was far below standards. We are taking appropriate steps to address all the issues noted in your comments. Thank you for allowing us to recover. I certainly appreciate your thoughts and position.

Kind regards,

Chad Lybrook
Guest Relations Manager
Bellingham, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Awesome place. I loved sitting out on the veranda in the evening sipping wine with the husband. The resort is large and accomodating!

They have a nice walk around the hotel grounds and a lazy river, which we unfortunately didn't get to use at the time we were there. This hotel is also very close to the Desert Museum which is why we picked to stay there.

We will definitely go back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Stayed here with my family in a king suite. The room is huge, with a separate bedroom for the king bed and a pull out in the living room. Bathroom has a giant shower, separate room for the toilet and a regular size tub. Two robes to use, lots of good shampoos, creams, sewing kit, the illusive and highly prized shoehorn... We were on the ground floor with two patios and steps from the lazy river. No need to grab a pool chair when you are this close. Best location in the hotel for pool access. Beds were insanely comfortable. Pillows were teeny but still good. A/C was quiet. Small fridge for chilling your drinks.

Staff was wonderfully friendly, every single one. Valet for the car was fast and easy. Resort fee included free meals for all three of my kids ( 11, 9 & 3) so I totally had no issue with it at all. Wifi and breakfast were included in our rate as well but I think that may have been a package.

Ate dinner at the signature grill outside at sunset. Food was yummy, they brought water non stop, and staff was delightful.

Pools were perfect for kids and parents alike. Lazy river had lots of tubes and you were allowed to float and sip your drink which does not suck!

At night a group of javelinas were along side the lazy river grazing as bats flew overhead. It was awesome and we could cross the zoo off our to do list!

Our room was a bit on the very dusty side so housekeeping was the only thing lacking. We did enjoy drawing faces in the dust so that is something, I guess.

Overall, not counting housekeeping, it was perfection. We would return in a heartbeat.
One star off for housekeeping's lack of housekeeping

Room Tip: 3316 is the room to get if you are hitting the pools hard!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to JW Marriott Starr Pass Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!