“GREAT hotel but prices serious challenges” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$50 Nightly Credit
Ranked #4 of 127 hotels in Tucson
Lake in the Hills, Illinois
“GREAT hotel but prices serious challenges”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

First of all, my family and I LOVED this hotel. We stayed over the fourth of july holiday, and despite some weather challenges (rain, surprisingly) there were wonderful events planned by the hotel and awesome fireworks.
The hotel rooms, the pools, the lazy river, the mountain and hiking location are exemplary. The staff are awesome, and always asking you if you need anything.
The real challenge I have with this hotel is with its billing and consistency. As many others have mentioned, the commitments that get made to elite members in reserving dont match up with what is granted at check out. The check in indicates a 15% discount to platinum members at the store/spa. However, when you goto store/spa, they tell you that you will get the discount at checkout from hotel. At checkout from hotel, was told that discount needed to occur at store. I stay at a lot of Marriotts throughout the year, and this may have been the first instance where there was such a disconnect between the quoted rates/discounts/benefits and the according results on the bill. While the staff attempted to make this right upon checkout, I am not entirely sure that I was made whole with the benefits I was supposed to receive.
Again, one final item and others have commented, is that it is a decent hike (drive) to most everything. There are some AWESOME restaurants in Tucson that you have to goto, but you need to drive (we love the bread at Beyond Bread, the mex at El Charro, the burgers at Zinburger *expensive, the freshness at both Wildflower and Pascos Cafe) ALL are worth drive.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Chad L, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Starr Pass Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 26, 2012
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for taking time to share about your experience at the resort. I am glad to hear that you and your family “loved” the 4th of July holiday experience. We value your feedback and appreciate your insight on how the retail discounts are processed. I have communicated your concerns to the department leadership and we are taking the appropriate measures to address your concerns. We look forward to providing another memorable experience.

Warm regards,

1,010 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

Great hotel, nice location and the personnel were fantastic. Spent the week here on business. As others have said the hotel is a good drive from EVERYTHING. You just need to know this as you plan your trip. Restaurants were expensive but food was good. Great pool area for the kids ...especially the lazy river and the water slide.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

I stayed here this past week on business. Hotel itself is very nice, but unfortunately I won't be staying here again, the next time I'm in Tucson either for work or pleasure.

First, you get nothing special if you're a Marriott elite member. I was told when making my reservation several weeks ago that as a Marriott Gold member, I would get a complimentary breakfast, was told otherwise at check-in. I was also told that there would be a discount on golf at their Starr Pass course for hotel guests, again this information was false. Finally, the front desk supervisor personally told me that I had an "upgraded room, overlooking the city", when in fact my room faced the parking lot. When soft drinks are $5, and a room service club sandwich is $25, be prepared to spend a lot of money at this hotel and not get that much in return.

Other diappointments: Parking is a good 10 minute walk from the hotel, unless you want to pay $20/day to valet. The hotel is also out in the middle of nowhere and a pretty good distance from the city, so if you want to leave the hotel and explore Tucson, be prepared to drive aways to find anything fun.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the resort. Like you, I am disappointed that we not able to provide our normal standards of excellence. The JW Marriott Starr Pass Resort & Spa truly values the loyalty of our Marriott Rewards Members, and I apologize that was not reflected during your visit. We are taking appropriate measures to address the concerns that took place during your trip.

Warm regards,

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012 via mobile

Great public areas, spectacular view of the Arizona hills dotted with cactus, decent pool area. Spa facilities seemed above average and restaurants and service were decent. Some rooms overlook the great scenery, others the car park - it would make a big difference which you got if you planned to spend any time in the room. Easy to recommend.

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest:

We sincerely appreciate you taking time out of your day to detail the fabulous amenities of the Resort, and especially our award-winning Hashani Spa. We sincerely appreciate your personalized perspective about the resort. Thank you for your time and we look forward to another enchanting experience for you and your family!

Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012 via mobile

I love the Starr Pass Resort! The fact that they fully embrace and share the local culture with the guests is outstanding. From early morning hikes in the beautiful Sonora Mountains to thrilling road bike rides to the evening tequila shot and s'mores on the patio, this place has it all. You won't find a nicer place to stay in all of Tucson.

• Stayed August 2011
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you very much for taking time to share about your experience at the resort. The JW Marriott strives to craft an authentic and intuitive experience for all of our guests, and I was please to hear that you experienced a genuine peaceful experience. We value your personalized perspective and look forward to another peaceful and relaxing visit.

Kind regards,

Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

We decided to stay here for two nights to celebrate my birthday. While my partner had to work on Friday, I planned a day of working out, massage, pool, and relaxing with friends. Unfortunately, the massage therapist never showed up due to what was reported as a mild finder-bender. Because all the other therapists were booked, I would have had to postpone my massage to much later in the day or the next day (both of which were unacceptable due to other things going on). While I tried not to let this ruin my mini-vacation, it did to an extent. The major reason I booked at Starr Pass was to do the whole "spa-relax-unwind" thing. Although they were unable to "make it right", the staff at the Hotel really did try. The difference between a good place and very good/excellent place is the ability to handle adverse situations and I have to give this hotel credit for trying. Everyone was very apologetic and tried to make amends, even though it was really no one's fault. I now have a make-up massage waiting for another time. I am not sure if will stay overnight for this, but I will definitely enjoy the massage.

Other than the above issue, the stay was very good. They do need an adult pool, or adult-only area, as screaming kids running around can get annoying when you are trying to relax; however, the pool areas are nice and well kept. Service and food quality in the restaurants was excellent. I have to give special kudos to the bartenders at Salud; they were great. Tell them what you like, and the bartender will design a drink for you. That is service!

The rooms are basic upgraded rooms. The in-room fridge is a nice touch. The "resort fee" is mildly steep and annoying. If you do not have a choice but to pay it, then just make it part of the general room cost. This is a pet-peeve of mine with several resorts.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Chad L, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Starr Pass Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for sharing about your experience on your past stay. I offer me sincerest apologies that we were unsuccessful in our attempts to turn your experience around. We genuinely appreciate your understanding position. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance as we look forward to your return and the opportunity to surpass your expectations

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

Reserved a suite, got the ultimate treatment from everyone working there. Top notch.
The one thing that horrified me was the 'hanging doors' in the suite. . . not reliable locks
on them, so no reliable privacy. Other than that (which was MAJOR!), an awesome
experience!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you very much for taking the time to share about your experience at the resort. I was thrilled to read that your experience was “Awesome” and would like to apologize that your accommodations did not succeed your expectations. We sincerely value our guests’ feedback and I would like to thank you for sharing about your experience. We look forward to the opportunity to host your next visit to Tucson.

Guest Relations Manager

Been to JW Marriott Starr Pass Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!