“Nice Resort” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
San Diego
“Nice Resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

I stayed here for a conference in June. It was warm but not unbearably so. The resort itself has some very nice grounds, a couple of nice pools, and the rooms were pretty well appointed along with being bright and clean. Staff here was very helpful and I could definitely justify coming to the hotel to get away from it all. I don't golf but the course nearby looked quite nice and well maintained. The resort also had some fantastic views of the nearby scenery and the city of Tucson in the distant.

I highly recommend the big communal outdoor deck, great ambiance with gas fireplaces and views of the city. The on-site restaurants are a bit pricey and the hotel/resort is a good 5-10 minute drive from downtown Tucson.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
CYDTCGM, Front Office Manager at JW Marriott Starr Pass Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 18, 2011
Thanks for taking the time to share your experience at our Resort with others. It sounds as if the patio outside of Salud! was a hit for you, and I hope that you made it for the complimentary 5:30 Tequilla toast. We hope you can come experience us again in the near future!

Thanks,

Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
Ormond Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

What a wonderful hotel! I was told that it was in the middle of nowhere, but they were wrong! This is just 10 minutes from downtown Tucson! Beautiful property with spacious rooms and comfortable beds. Excellent terrace bar with firepits overlook the lights of Tucson. Soothing evening breezes make this the place to be for evening entertainment. Although we don't play golf, there is an amazing golf course on property. At dusk and dawn the deer and jack rabbits come out to graze. Super activities for kids with the "Lazy River" pool separate from main pool. Lots to do here, you won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: Get the signature View overlooking the golfcourse
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Lakehurst, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

I stayed at this hotel to attend a business conference which was also being held onsite. We had a special room rate which was GREATLY reduced from their "normal" room rate and included parking, internet, the resort fee, long distance phone service and 10% off in all of the restaurants (alcohol excluded). The service from the hotel staff was EXCELLENT. The parking can be a bit far depending on where your room is located, but I asked for a room close to the parking area and they happily provided me one. The property is beautiful. The restaurants, while on the pricey side, provided very good food and again the service was excellent. The rooms were nicely appointed, VERY clean and slightly better than an average Marriott hotel room. The beds were VERY comfortable. The bathrooms were larger than a standard Marriott. I can't complain about the room at all for the price we paid for them, but if I was staying there paying the "normal" room rate I might expect a bit more. The room has a VERY small fridge but no microwave. An in-room safe is provided (though I never used it). The pools are very nice, especially the lazy river pool... GREAT way to relax after a long day of meetings! All in all I enjoyed my time at this property and wouldn't hesitate to return there for another business conference. A leisure visit would be a out of the question however due to the price.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Thanks for your very nice review of our Resort! It was great to hear that you had a relaxing time, found the lazy river to be a great escape and enjoyed the excellent meals we have to offer in our restaurants. We hope we can host you again soon!

Thanks,

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

When I was able to look away from the fabulous view I realized that every inch of the resort was kept sparkling clean. Each employee, front desk, concierge,maintenance,housekeeping and restaurant staff was welcoming and very helpful. I usually avoid eating at hotels but we took every meal here, it was all so good.
It really shows when you have good people and good training. The JW Marriott Starr Pass Resort surpasses most 5 star properties we've stayed at.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
CYDTCGM, Front Office Manager at JW Marriott Starr Pass Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 9, 2011
Thanks for taking to the time to share your experience you had at our Resort with others! One of our top focuses for this year has been in our service training for our associates, and it's great to hear from our guests that they can see the results of our efforts.

We hope to host you again soon at Starr Pass!

Mesa, AZ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011 via mobile

We booked the $169 with $50 resort credit rate. Even though occupancy at the hotel was very low, we were given the room facing the front of the hotel. We complained and they gave us a room facing the coutyard and then tried to charge us $25 for it. The lazy river and waterside were freezing cold since that pool is not heated. Service at the hotel was not great. Location is tuff. Paul at the front desk was rude.

• Stayed May 2011
CYDTCGM, Front Office Manager at JW Marriott Starr Pass Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 6, 2011
Please accept my sincere apologies for the poor experience that you had at our Resort. While it never pleasant to hear when one of our guests is dissatisfied, I nonetheless appreciate the candid feedback.

I would love to speak with you personally regarding your experience, and to have the opportunity to invite you back.

Please feel free to contact me, and my number below.

520 791 6032
Tucson, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

This had been the first time I had been back to the location since 2004 when I was there for another event. I remember this location as classy and somewhat exclusive. However, this location has turned into an overpriced pool party location. Seriously, I'm not sure what type of environment they are trying to convey to people that pay upwards of $200/300 a night to stay there – not to mention the restaurant prices. Having the paddy wagon and squad cars isn't an image that I want to see when I am trying to relax. Also, guests that are belligerent as well as drunk in the hotel lobby is something I can get at the Holiday INN. I would NEVER bring my kids to this location to witness such vulgarity on open display in the lounge area. It is very uncomfortable as well as unsafe to be around that.

It’s an extremely beautiful location. However, letting guests bring in ice chests full of alcohol is a bad combination as is letting people bring their entire extended families that do not pay for services but still use the facilities. I’m not sure what type of resort just lets people on their premises with no type of screening. Perhaps I am confused about the exclusivity, but I suggest if this is how JW Marriot wants to run their location then lower the prices and slap a Motel 6 or Holiday Inn on the front of the building.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your helpful comments regarding your visit to our hotel. I am dissapointed to hear that the other guests in the hotel were not here at our Resort to enjoy our tranquil environment and unfortunately disturbed your stay. Following the experience we had this past Memorial Day, we are making adjustments to our strategy to hopefully draw JW Marriott guests to our Resort.

Manchester, NH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2011

Here for a convention for 4 nights, 5 days. This place place is elegant. Views are outstanding. Hiking trails behind the resort a treat. Very expensive meals/drinks. Used restaurant.com coupons at both the Signature Grill and the Catalina Grill. Ask for a room with a view. Tequila shot at 5:30 was a treat. Great customer service. Concierge gave us 2 for 1 coupoms to the Sonora Desert Museum ( a MUST see if you have time). Allowed us a late check out and then kept our bags for a few hours allowed us an extra day by the pool. Great place to stay and relax....a bit out of the way 10-15 min from Tucson but WOW...what a place!

Room Tip: view of Tucson, asl for a balcony
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Rachelle,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience at our Resort with others! It is exciting to share with our staff great comments such as yours. We look forward to hosting you again.

Front Office Manager

Been to JW Marriott Starr Pass Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!