“I'm very picky and I couldn't have been happier than at The Azure Gate” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Azure Gate Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tucson
Azure Gate Bed and Breakfast
You added Azure Gate Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
9351 E. Morrill Way, Tucson, AZ 85749   |
Ranked #1 of 53 Tucson B&B and Inns
San Diego, CA
“I'm very picky and I couldn't have been happier than at The Azure Gate”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2010

I found this gem of a place on the Internet. Not ever being in Tucson and knowing no one there, I was taking a chance. What a delight The Azure Gate turned out to be!

Dennis met us upon arrival, after first providing us with detailed, excellent directions from the airport. He showed us around the 5-acre Sonora cacti garden and the main house, including a very-well stocked library of books and DVDs.

He then showed us to our separate 2-story bungalow (does one say "bungalow" in the southwest?). We opted for the Catalina and were quite pleased with our choice. A separate kitchen with full refrigerator, microwave, coffeepot, dishes, towels, everything that one needs in a kitchen. There was coffee, tea, FRESH cream in the refrigerator, a bowl of chocolates and another of mixed nuts. There was also a vase of roses on the white lacey tablecloth which I thought was fake until some petals dropped. And a divine bottle of cabernet. I don't know if the roses and wine are the usual or because I mentioned I was celebrating my birthday when I made the reservations.

The Catalina was tastefully and thoughtfully decorated. Everything from nightlights (two), stationery with pen, current Tucson magazines, hair dryer, terry cloth bathrobes, just everything was provided. We slept in a comfortable bed in a loft which overlooked the living room. There were a lot of windows which gave the bungalow an airy feel.

In the main house, Dennis and Christine had not only binders with restaurant and tourist recommendations, but directions to everyplace turn-by-turn. When we came into the main house in the mornings for breakfast and tell them of our plans for the day, they would give us directions from site to site.

Now the best part: BREAKFAST! I usually get by on coffee and something quick. Well, one does not want to be quick at The Azure Gate. I have traveled extensively and have stayed at the best hotels (Ritz, Four Seasons, blah blah) on six continents (okay, on one of the continents there are no hotels), but Dennis's breakfasts have beat everyplace everywhere. My camera was out all five mornings and took pictures of both courses each morning. (I have ten photos in all.) Michelin should come and have breakfast here. No kidding.

And, Christine set the breakfast table (and dining room) with lighted candles and arranged flowers every morning. Always a colorful dining table runner and placemats and pretty dishes and crystal stems for the mango with lime? or guava with ?, I can't remember because I was in a state of bliss.

I usually don't post on sites like this, but I'm thankful for my time at The Azure Gate and thankful for having met Dennis and Christine.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
berkeley, california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2010

My wife and I have stayed in the Azure Gate Bed and Breakfast four times over the past 5 years. It is a wonderful former artists home with an amazing garden and grounds set within a nature area of Cactii and desert flowers. The hosts Christine and Dennis are fantastic and breakfast at the Azure Gate is an incredible event. We would stay no where else in the the Tuscon area.
David and Chris
Berkeley, Ca

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2010

I arrived in Tucson after 15 hours of travel. I was weary, but anticipated a lovely time as my relative who planned our trip researches well and always finds gems. This is the best gem she has found yet. Beautiful in every way, Azure Gate is the creation of gifted artists/hosts/chefs. The landscape and patio, the interior furnishings-from couch and fireplace, to details such as light plates and tea selection, all combined to create an immediate refreshed feeling on arrival. Waking early, restored from a good sleep, I walked/jogged and enjoyed the surrounding landscape. A shower in the lovely SW tiled bathroom, and their most splendid breakfast prepared me to enjoy the variety of delights in the area. The proprietors have an extensive library as well as eagerness to guide guests to whatever they are looking for during their stay. They have created a masterpiece of a frame for the best of SW natural beauty and culture. If you have any questions about this place, the owners are wonderfully helpful and trustworthy.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Oakland, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2009

The Azure Gate and the Catalina House were even better than expected and exactly as represented on the website (no frilly dusty doileys in this B&B) clean, modern southwestern style was all over and there were plenty of amazing details that make this place a standout. The breakfasts were over the top delicious and the small comforts provided (video library, book library, drinks, coffee, teas, hiking maps, guide books, wildlife guides) made our stay wonderful. It was a perfect getaway for my husband, mother and I.

• Stayed December 2009
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2009

We stayed at this B & B in a quiet neighborhood in Tucson. Our cottage and room for our teenage son were quite nice and the owners, Dennis & Christine went out of their way to guide us to an enjoyable vacation. Every morning we sat down to a lovely table and gourmet breakfasts w/ numerous courses. Dennis wears a chef coat and it is well deserved. There was ample wildlife outside our door, i.e. a collection of birds, and a nice patio to take in the vistas of the mountains and desert plants.

We felt like we were guests in someone's home and I would recommend this establishment. I would like to return in the spring and do a birding tour and take advantage of the pool. The daylight until 6:00 p.m., blue skies and sun made this a good winter getaway.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2009

I did the research and booked into the Azure Gate B&B about 9 months in advance. We really wanted to stay in the Catalina House and we are so pleased we did. It was a self-contained casita sitting in the cactus-strewn grounds with views of the Catalina Mountains which had snow on them when we visited in December 2009. We had a wonderful time and were very sad to leave after 4 days. The Catalina House came with a fully equipped eat-in kitchen, bathroom and lounge downstairs and cozy open bedroom upstairs. We are not breakfast people so we did miss out on the wonderful offerings Dennis created every morning in the main house but we did enjoy our early morning outings to the various attractions, Sabino Canyon, Mt. Lemon and Saguaro National Forest in particular. Nothing is very far away and there are even shops and restaurants within a few minutes drive. Like all treasures you find, you want to keep some a secret and that’s how we feel about the Azure Gate B & B. It was a real treasure to find it; we’ll certainly be back.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2009

We stay at B&B's where ever we travel and we've never had breakfasts that have come anywhere close to the quality of the cuisine at Azure Gate. Innkeepers Dennis & Christine are amazing. They have thought of every detail. Very impressive and an incredible value. We will return.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple