“Lost its touch” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi
Tucson AZ
“Lost its touch”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

Sushi Hama used to be good, excellent in fact. Since they expanded their sushi is tired and dull.. They seem to be catering to the all you can eat crowd where the emphasis is on quantity and to hell with quality.

If all you want is to fill your gullet with cheap, boring fish, this is a good place. If you're looking for fresh fish, cut by a pro and delicately flavored, this is not the place.

When I look around I see people dunking their pieces in massive quantities of soy sauce and wasabi, a sure sign that either they know nothing about sushi or that they'll do anything to add some flavor.

By the way, this is one of those "all you can eat" places where, if you don't finish the plate, they charge you for the extra. Given the ratio of rice to fish, it would be easy to get stuffed here and not finish.

It's sad to see a once decent local place go to hell. There are many other better choices in Tucson.

Simi Valley, California
“ignore bad reviews all wrong”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011

After reading some of the negative reviews I was a littlte nervous eathing at Sushi Hama but I was pleasantly surprised. From the moment we were seated we had all the attention we wanted. Upon seating we were given soup, salad and edamame. We ordered iced tea which was always kept full. We had veggie tempura dinner. The dip was outstanding and the assortment of veggies included asparagus and green pepper along with other usual varieties. All outstanding. We ordered a Banzai roll some nigiri hamachi. It came on a boat and looked as good as it tasted. We had a restaurant.com voucher and wanted to fulfill our $35 requirement so I had a spicy tuna handroll and wife had green tea ice-cream. The only disappointment was the ice-cream. It had an off taste. They added in an 18% tip when I got the bill. Total including tip after using voucher was approx $23 for a $48 bill. Would go there again with voucher otherwise a little too ex;pensive.

• Visited July 2011
Tucson, Arizona
“I'll not go there again by choice!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2011

The service and quality have been steadily degrading in recent year or so, not that it had been great to begin with when I first visited 4 years ago. We visit pretty frequently, for one my wife loves sushi, for another there are not many choices around, 3 reasonably close. The staff in general is cold and if that is their style, fine, we could live with it. But some can be plain rude. I'll never go there again by choice after today's treatment.

• Visited June 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Flagstaff, AZ
“Great food, OFFENSIVE service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2010

My friend (a Sushi Hama regular) took me here, and I had high expectations. We sat at the sushi bar and ordered the all-you-can-eat sushi. It says you can order 5 rolls at a time, which we each did (she ordered the sashimi, I ordered the ROLLS). After a full hour, she was done with the sashimi but I had only received 2 of my rolls. The restaurant was about 15% full, so I asked the sushi chef for the rest of my food. He nodded, then proceeded to talk to the other chef (neither were rolling sushi!) for another 10 mins. We flagged down the waiter (hadn't seen him since we sat down), and asked him for the last 3 rolls. They FINALLY came, and we were told that the chef was waiting to make sure I finished the first two before he would make any more. I have never been monitored by the chef before he deigned to prepare my order before, anywhere! Would this have happened to a guy?? Someone larger?? I understand the concept of no leftovers for all you can eat, but after an hour of drinking liquid and rice expanding in my stomach, I was much less able to eat it all than I would have been if it had just come when I ordered it. Plus, I much prefer to eat different bites at different times (not all of one roll at once). The sushi was great, but I thought the service was completely out of line and extremely offensive. Make your own call.

South Dakota
“Never misses”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2010

I have eaten at Sushi Hama countless times over the past several years for lunches and dinners and have never had anything but a great meal. Those joining us who do not like sushi or sashimi have always enjoyed their selections from the rest of the menu.