“Pleasant Surprise” 4 of 5 stars

+1 520-360-4040
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Kalina is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #120 of 1,697 Restaurants in Tucson
Cuisines: Russian, Vegan, Vegetarian, Ukrainian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Tanque Verde Catalina Hwy
Description: Our owner, Natasha Kalina, was born and raised in Minsk, Belarus, in what was then the Soviet Union. Her parents were both from Ukraine and raised Natasha with a deep respect and love for a huge variety of traditions of local celebrations, home-grown food, and family recipes from many different cultures. Natasha's most cherished memories almost always involve parties at her home, and standing in the kitchen with her mother to help cook for the guests. Cooking was in their DNA. There were never any cookbooks, but everyone always knew how to prepare a variety of recipes that never failed to be perfect in taste, texture, and presentation. Ever since she arrived in the United States, Natasha has always dreamt of opening a restaurant with the sole intention of bringing her delicious childhood memories to people from all walks of life. She is extremely proud to have been living her dream for the last thrilling year and a half and is excited for you to come down and join the family today!
Tucson, Arizona
“Pleasant Surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

This restaurant is across town from where I live and I am not terribly fond of Russian food, but two friends dragged me here for lunch. What a pleasant surprise! We were greeted and seated by a pleasant young waiter who explained the items on the menu. We all ordered something different and generally were very pleased with our choices. I particularly loved the borscht and lemon tart. The peroshki, barley soup, and smoked salmon and spinach roll got raves from one of our party who rarely orders salmon. I had a taste of the lamb dumplings and will be sure to order them the next time I am at Kalina. A bit pricey, but really well prepared food.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Tucson, Arizona
“A Hidden Gem!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Can't believe I never knew about this restaurant until a few weeks ago! I've now been several times. It's the only Russian restaurant I'm aware of in Tucson, and the quality of food is outstanding. Having lived in Russia, I wondered whether the food at Kalina would taste similarly to what I remembered. It absolutely does. The borscht is fantastic with plenty of hearty vegetables. The olivier salad is also delicious. Many people will opt for the beef stroganoff, but I'd recommend branching out and trying their other fantastic entrees, especially the pelmeni. The restaurant itself is cozy, with Russian accent pieces throughout. Reservations are required because of limited seating space. The meals are a little pricier than I typically like to pay, but the excellent quality of the food and friendly service makes it worth it. I only wish I could eat here more often!

• Visited March 2013