“A very nice place, but seemed to fall short of a great restaurant” 4 of 5 stars
Review of El Charro Cafe - The Original

Ranked #70 of 1,684 restaurants in Tucson
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Maryland
“A very nice place, but seemed to fall short of a great restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

On a recent return trip to Tucson, I stopped at El Charro on the recommendation of a friend. We arrived around 5:00pm on a Saturday night. Not crowded yet and got a table out on the patio. I really liked the atmosphere, and was looking forward to the meal.

Our waitress took our order quickly, I had the Carne Seca Platter, which was one of their specialties. They brought us our drinks (no water though), and a bowl of chips and salsa. Both were very good, but honestly, it was the smallest bowl of chips I'd ever seen. Literally 10 chips in the bowl. They were longer than normal, but still...

The meal came quickly, and the Carne Seca was very good (but not the best I've had in Tucson). Overall, the meal tasted good, but nothing really special. My one big complaint, was that even though water wasn't provided, they didn't keep refills on the soda I'd ordered. I went dry for quite a while....not a good situation when eating Mexican food. It took a while to finally get a refill, and by that time my food had gotten fairly cold.

So, okay food, service on the poor side. I doubt I'd visit again, there are better places in Tucson.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

76% Recommend
San Jose, California, USA
“Good to support the oldest family owned restaurant on our visit to Tucson.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

We had our dinner at El Charro Cafe (original) before we left for the airport. We had spent the afternoon outside watching a college baseball game at the Kino complex. We got a table on a Tuesday around 5:00pm without a reservation. The hostess was very friendly outside. Our waiter was very helpful and recommended some favorites. It is informative to read the menu with the history of this restaurant. The three of us ordered different dishes and shared-burrito plate, chimichanga plate and "Carne Seca" Plate. We enjoyed our meal and the portions are huge. There seems to be a large outside area, we ate in the inside original home. We did not have alcoholic drinks so I can not comment on the bar. Small gift shop, I got a post card. Prices are in range with other Mexican Food Restaurants we have visited.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Houston, Minnesota, United States
“Great flavor, great atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

We asked the desk clerk at our hotel for a restaurant recommendation, and she sent us here. Good choice! We got right in for lunch, and enjoyed delish chips, salsa, and guacamole while waiting for our meals. The enchiladas and flautas were wonderful and satisfying. The servers were friendly and attentive. There was a three generation family at the next table, and a red-haired toddler was having a great time giving his own order to the smiling server. Relaxing atmosphere and great food added up to a terrific dining experience.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Tucson, Arizona
“Mexican Dinner”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

A good place for Mexican food, but we have our other favorites in Tucson - the hub of good Mexican food. A bit noisy and at times we feel rushed.

Visited October 2012
Tucson
“Wide variety oof Mexican Food - Teacher Tuesday”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

My husband and I go almost every Tuesday because they have BOGO for teachers. Not only that but happy hour until 6pm. They have a large menu with not your basic Mexican food. It's all good. I personally don't like the carne seca that gets all the rave reviews. But I would recommend everything else. I especially enjoy the El Charro beer.

Visited March 2013