“Classic Steak House” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
McMahon's Prime Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #107 of 1,733 Restaurants in Tucson
Cross street: Ft. Lowell / Swan
Abilene, Texas
“Classic Steak House”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

I went here a few months ago for a late lunch. I think dinner would probably have gone better. The service was a little slow, but the time we went was probably a slow time for them. The bar looked really nice. I loved the rounded booths. I had a filet, it was pretty good. The fried strawberries on the dessert menu are delicious. They have really good bread and butter as well. My son had eaten here for dinner before and loved it. I will definitely return for dinner.

Visited April 2014
Multh, Owner at McMahon's Prime Steakhouse, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
I am glad you tried the Champagne Strawberries. They are too delicious! Thank you for dining with us and we hope to have the pleasure of serving you again.

Vail, Arizona
“great way to spend our 10th!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

We had originally booked our 10 year wedding anniversary at another restaurant over on the west side, but after reading the terrible Yelp reviews of this other restaurant - switched to McMahon's. We had been there twice before and really enjoyed it: once before we moved to Tucson in February 2004 and once again in the summer of 2008 with friends. Not sure why it takes us so long to get back here as it is truly an outstanding restaurant!

The service - outstanding! Brian was our server and he was incredibly attentive, but not too attentive. We also had two other staff come by, two different managers I believe, to check on us. One just to see how our meal was AND bring us a specially prepared dessert, the other to address an issue. Either way - they REALLY take care of you here.

The food - delicious! So we started with the firecracker shrimp app. It was incredibly delicious with just the right kick. We each ordered a salad (Field Greens and a McMahons Salad)...it is hard to really mess up a salad and I am not really one to rave about a salad but what I will say is try their 'house ranch" it is spicy and really gives lettuce/veggies that extra stand out. My husband ordered the Ugly steak with asparagus and seasonal veggies, I ordered the Petite Filet (Oscar style) plate. Both had lovely presentation. My husbands meal was fantastic - I head a bite of the Ugly steak and was amazed at how delicious, juicy and tender it was! It was cooked (medium) PERFECTLY. SO glad we ordered it based off of recommendations here and on YELP. My Petite Filet meal... the smaller portion of sides you get with this were wonderful... spinach, house potatoes, onion haystack and corn off the cob. Super fresh, carefully prepared. My steak was an issue - I ordered medium and it actually was served to me well done. Based on another recent review, I would imagine that they may need some retraining in the kitchen. BUT I did not send it back, although they offered to take it back. It was a really good cut of meat so despite it being well done, as opposed to my requested medium - it was very flavorful and still very tender. The food extravaganza was topped off by them serving us two complimentary and beautifully presented desserts: Creme Brulee (flavor of the day was Oreo) and Champagne Fried Strawberries. While both were delectable - the Champagne Fried Strawberries were OFF THE CHARTS! You must try these if you go. Also the female manager was so sweet and made us another dessert that was new on the menu - a Banana's Foster type dessert where the bananas were wrapped in an egg roll paper. I can't decide which was better the bananas or strawberry dessert - so I recommend trying both!

The value and ambiance - wonderful. I looked at three other restaurants; Five Palms, Sullivans and Flemings. The value here at McMahons edges them out, as you are not paying for everything a la carte when you get certain meals and their prices seem more reasonable to me for portion size (I have been to Flemings and Sullivans). The ambiance here is really beautiful and I love their dining room lighting. They are a pretty good sized restaurant and have a full bar area and a cigar patio.

The entire experience was fabulous - we are definitely going back and not waiting as long to do so!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Multh, Owner at McMahon's Prime Steakhouse, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
We are honored to have had the opportunity to serve you for your 10th anniversary. Congratulations! Thank you for celebrating with us and thank you for the review. Brian does great and will love to read this review, as will Jenni the manager. The team at McMahon's understands that our guests are why we are hear and we don't take that for granted. Hospitality is our business and it is great to read that you had a wonderful evening. We look forward to serving you again soon and often.
“"Wonderful Anniversary Dinner!" ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

We have always wanted to come here for dinner so our 46th Anniversary was a good excuse! The food was excellent but the service was impeccable! Brian did an excellent job as our server! They even gave us a surprise at the end - champagne strawberries!!! We will be back but we won't have to have an excuse this time!

Multh, Owner at McMahon's Prime Steakhouse, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
46 years! Congratulations! What an honor to serve you for this great occasion. Thank you for choosing to celebrate with us and for the review. We look forward to serving you again soon - and for many more anniversaries to come.
Huddersfield
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

As visitors from England we were recommended to McMahon's by our hotel concierge when we said we were lovers of steak and good wine. He kindly booked us a booth and transported us on the evening. The restaurant is very opulent and the staff very attentive, our server Eric, was excellent. Unfortunately the same cannot be said for the food. We ordered the chef's soup, which was excellent, along with a petit filet mignon, requested 'blue' and an ugly steak requested on the rare side of medium rare. They both came over cooked, which we pointed out to our server and quickly a manager appeared and offered to have them changed, which we declined as I cannot abide food being wasted. The vegetables were excellent, albeit some not quite as hot as would have been expected. As the entrees arrived very rapidly after us completing the soup, over which we had probably taken longer than expected, we suspect that the entrees had been prepared and kept warm, hence the 'over cooking'. As European's we like to take our time when dining and like to take a break between courses to savor the wine, which was excellent. We were very disappointed that there was no further consideration with regard to our complaint by way of a reduction in the check. Overall not an unpleasant evening just disappointing.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
I hope you enjoyed your visit to Tucson. Thank you for the detailed review. I am glad that the hotel referred you to us and I am sorry we did not execute the steaks as ordered. Beef is our business, so there is not excuse for steaks not being prepared correctly. This will be addressed and I apologize. I am glad the evening was a success otherwise. The manager should have compensated you in some way and we will be sure to use your review as a reminder on how we need to react for future concerns. If you are ever in Tucson again we hope to have the pleasure of serving you again. Safe travels!
Tucson
“Great Restaurant and Happy Hour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

Elegant informal dining with live piano music, great food and excellent service. One of our favorite restaursnts.

We also often have dinner in the bar with superb hamburgers and other appatizers at inexpensive prices. Excellent service and again nice surroundings.

Altogether a great dining experience.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for considering us one of your favorite restaurants. That is a huge compliment. We hope to serve you again soon and thank you very much for the review.

Been to McMahon's Prime Steakhouse? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage McMahon's Prime Steakhouse, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.