“Outstanding and affordable” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #262 of 1,748 Restaurants in Tucson
Cuisines: Italian, American, Pizza
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Scenic view, Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Tucson, Arizona
“Outstanding and affordable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012 via mobile

Was invited here for my SIL's B-day. I'm not a big fan of italian food but this place knocked my socks off. I grew up in the S.F. Bay area where good Italian food is the rule rather the exception. I've been in Tucson for about a year and a half now and have found it to be kind of a gastronomic black hole. I've been to some of the "best" resturaunts here and frankly, I guess I'm spoiled. In the S.F. Bay area, good is just expected. Here, not so much. Also, I decided that, until the economy picks up, I will not submit bad reviews on any establishment I happen upon because I figure that this economy is hard enough on food service providers without me broadcasting that I think a place sucks so I only review places I'm impressed with.

I was impressed! I guess this place has been around since before the dead sea was sick and I can see why. First of all, the location is on Fourth street in Tucson which is sort of like Tucson's version of Haight Street in S.F. so people watching is interesting. Upon entering, the decor was about what you would expect from an affordable Italian place. Cheap murals on the walls and no tablecloths. But the food... The food was fantastic! We had a party of seven. We ordered a platter of antipasti for four and is was pleanty for all of us. People ordered various things and I got to taste a wide variety of their fare and without exception, it was all, over the top good. The only problem I could see was that the preportions were way too much. I asked the waitress how they felt about splitting a dinner between two diners and was told that it's done all the time and they have no problem with it. With the entrees on the high side costing under $15.00 this seems to me to be the way to go unless you are a pro football player or someone with a huge appitite. Overall, If this is not the best place I have eaten in Tucson, It's right up at the top of the list and if you factor in the prices...unbeatable.

Mesa AZ
“Great food. Authentic old Italian atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

Great food and good prices. The shrim and scallop alfredo was killer. Lots of seafood and a lovely wine alfredo sauce.

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Phoenix, Arizona
“What a great place to eat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

Wonderful. I eat here everytime I come to Tucson. I love the down home feel of the place. The staff was Fantastic and the food was even better.

Visited June 2012
Tucson
“Many better places for Italian food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

The food is average. The decor needs updating. The service is OK. We have given this restaurant a chance several times over the years but are always disappointed. We go elsewhere for a good Italian meal in a nice atmosphere.

• Visited January 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Tucson, Arizona
“Tucson Restraurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

By far the best Italian restraurant in Tucson. Even for an Italian. The family owned restraurant has been in operation in Tucson since 1938. The sauces are outstanding as is all the food at Caruso's. Can't think of a bad meal. Get there early or real late as there is always a wait even though there are open tables. Caruso's only take reservations for 6 or more. The fare is reasonable. Parking is a real hassel as Caruso's is located in the Fourth Avenue historical district and the city has been remiss in improving traffic and parking in that area. Service is quite reasonable but the servers are often working at their max capacity.

Visited May 2012