“Ugh” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Le Rendez-Vous is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #338 of 1,697 Restaurants in Tucson
Cuisines: French
Good for: Doing business
Dining options: Reservations, Dessert
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Alvernon
Description: This is the perfect place for an impressive business engagement or a romantic interlude. A distinguished wine Cellar and exquisite desserts promise a memorable dining experience. Now offering a bistro fare lunch.
Tucson, Arizona
“Ugh”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

We hadn't been there in years since the last time it was lousy. The escargot and muscles were fair. I've had much better. My husband did enjoy the souffle and beef Wellington. We will never go back.

• Visited October 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Tucson,Az
“Inept Service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

The food, which was good but not incredible, couldnt overcome the inept service. I would expect much better from a restaurant of this caliber. The big thing- every course was brought out wrong. Every. Either to the wrong table or not what we ordered. Apps were delivered to the table next to us even though they had only recently sat down. When brought to us server mis-identified the dish he put in front of my wife w/ the dish he put in front of me. Foie Gras vs mushrooms in puff pastry? Soup was also taken to a different table before it made its way to us. The wrong dinner was delivered to us and then we saw the server make a circle around the dining room w/ our entrees before landing on our table. It shouldnt be that hard. Small things. I would expect a restaurant like this to remove dirty silverware after each course. They didnt. We used the same fork and knife for all courses. That bothers me.I had Beef Wellington and while knife on table was serrated, a steak knife wouldve been better. We felt rushed to order. I had asked for a wine list and wanted to pair our dinner selections w/ a wine selection. I couldnt order one without the other but the waitress didnt seem to grasp that and came by twice asking if we were ready to order wine. Fine dining should not be rushed. Lastly, my wife was pretty annoyed at this comedy of errors and let our waitress know. Waitress said all the right things but then said that she would make sure we were "really taken care of." Never promise what you cant deliver. Someone must have overruled her. We got a little taken off the bill. For us that wasnt the point. She should have said "I'll see what I can do for you."

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Vienna, Virginia
“Outstanding French Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

I came early on a Thursday for dinner and enjoyed the Happy Hour. Instead of ordering a main dish, I went for the Small Plate choices and was Impressed! I was able to sample 9 different dishes (yes, I was stuffed!) which were superb! The only thing I would say was below par, was the crepes I had for dessert - I needed something sweet. They were okay - I can make crepes and I expect a French restaurant to make them better than me. I would recommend you dine in the Bistro area as it has better ambiance.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Tucson
“Tres Ordinary, Tres Pricey!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

First the good news: The bistro area at Le Rendez-Vous is nice, with very comfy couch-like seating along the walls. The chairs, on the other hand, are pretty hard. The atmosphere is nice and the windows in the bistro area don't face the very busy street a mere ten feet from the front of the building. Diners in the dining room get the pleasure of watching all the traffic. The music is not overbearing so you can have a nice conversation without shouting, and the AC wasn't turned down too low.

Like Anthony's in the Foothills, this restaurant seems to cater to a much older crowd, so if you're looking for a hip vibe, you might want to go somewhere else. But still a decent choice for a first date or place to try and impress someone.

After that, it sorts of goes sideways. We had a couple of glasses of happy hour wine each, twosmall plates (@ $5.50 each), one rather small bowl of onion soup, one sweetbreads appetizer, and a shared desert, and the bill was around $75, before tip. This is a place to spend a lot of money.

Unfortunately, the food itself was just okay. The house pate was kind of crumbly and dry. And olives in pate? That was just weird! No toast points or crackers, just a plate of dry pate. When we asked for something to eat it with, they found some toast points, but still no mustard or jam or something to balance, or even give it, flavor. The duck confit was two toast points with some shredded duck topped with a hollandaise. Nice, but by no means memorable. My wife liked the sweetbreads, but I though the small cup of onion soup was pretty skimpy. Having had onion soup many times in France, I at least expect to get a bowl, not just a cup. The flavor was decent, if a little sweet, and there were enough onions, though the crouton was almost missing and not so much cheese on top. We had the Grand Mariner soufflé for dessert, which was served hot, but not very large for $10 and way too much sugar that overwhelmed the liqueur.

All in all, we were a bit disappointed as this restaurant has a good reputation that didn't pan out on our visit. Mostly, it was just a lot of money for fairly ordinary food. Tucson's dining scene is actually pretty good these days, with lots of new and inventive places to dine. You're more likely to have a better experience, and perhaps save some cash, going somewhere else.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Fun to Celebrate Bastille Day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

My husband and I had a lovely dinner at this restaurant. Everything was very festive in honor of Bastille Day. The servers were very attentive. The food was just delicious. I don't know of any other place in Tucson that serves Beef Wellington. It was cooked perfectly and was so tasty, too. We both had the rasberry/cranberry mousse for dessert. It was light and so delicious. We were pleased with the entire meal!

• Visited July 2013