“My favorite Tucson Restaurant” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Vegetarian, Contemporary, Eclectic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Hartland, Wisconsin
“My favorite Tucson Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

I can't figure out why this restaurant doesn't show higher in Tucson's ratings. The food here is innovative and extraordinarily good. We had artichoke hearts as an appetizer and practically came to blows over who would get the last of them, they were so good. My daughter is a light eater and she had another appetizer, the Sunchoke Terrine, for her main course which she liked very much. Both my son-in-law had the Pearl Couscous for our entree - goat cheese / honey/ fried falafel tomato / almonds / harissa fennel & zucchini. Only my daughter is vegetarian, but we all ended up with vegetarian meals this night.
The restaurant is located in the Rum Runner liquor store. They have a side room for the bar and restaurant, but you might end up with a table in the liquor store, as we did. The atmosphere is intimate and nice. You can choose any bottle of wine in the store for dinner and just add a $15 corking fee. - a really good deal.
If you want a really good meal, I highly recommend this restaurant.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Benson, AZ
“Exceptional food and reasonable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

We visit the Rum Runner shop and decided to stay for dinner. We shared a spicy pumpkin seed salad, mai mai fish and polenta. Obviously enjoyed some great wine. Food was exceptionally good and well presented. Smaller portions than many places but much higher quality. No charge fir sharing.

Corralitos, California, United States
“Such a Disappointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

We had hoped for lots more in the food.

First the good stuff: the 2 waiters were great. They let me taste 2 wines before I chose my glass. They were friendly, quick and professional. The Spanish white I ended up choosing was delightful, and clearly from a freshly-opened bottle.

My friend ordered the mussels and they were good: bathed in a simple wine-butter sauce. But the bread that was served to the table was clearly stale and not that great to begin with! A place like this doesn't need to serve less-than-great bread, and certainly not stale bread. (We had GREAT bread from Bakehouse at Wildflower earlier this week, so I know that Tucson has good bread.)

We ordered the flatbread with salmon and avo to share: the toppings were simple and fresh, nothing special, but the actual flatbread was stale/chewy but not chewy in a good way. It was a bit like it had been microwaved at some point, or just truly stale.

For my 'main' I ordered the paella crab cake. The portion size was generous, but it just didn't taste good: it tasted mostly of egg (the egg must have been the binder to keep the cake together) and reminded me a little of the egg foo young (sp!?) that my grandmother used to order at cheap Chinese restaurants when I was a child. The sauce tasted entirely of bell pepper and nothing else, pureed bell pepper with a touch of cream is my guess: no hint of saffron or anything else but bell pepper. I didn't eat more than a bite of this dish.

I wish we had skipped this place and eaten at Downtown Kitchen. Next time!

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Santa Barbara, California
“Another Fantastic Meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Mussels and a glass of wine for $12.99! A price that you cannot beat and super portion and great taste.

Visited July 2013
Tucson
“Waited to long to return”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Had not been to The Dish since they moved the restaurant and The Road Runner ( the attached wine and liquor store )..Wonderful mussels.. A great wine selection and a very cozy ( seats 30 ) restaurant.. We ate at the bar and our bar tender/waiter was about the best I have had in Tucson...What a great experience. I recommend to anyone that wants a wonderful "night out"... I don't recommend for children----I DO recommend reservations....ENJOY

• Visited June 2013