“Chintzy $2 charged if you share your dishes!” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Tucson, Arizona
“Chintzy $2 charged if you share your dishes!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

We were 4 and shared two appetizers and four entrees, the bill was $108 including 5 beers which were served nicely cold. As we sat we asked if the dishes were served as traditionally in Thai restaurant to be shared, and the answer was "oh yes, family style, with a large bowl of rice". There wasn't much wait, the calamari were crispy and the sauce tangy, the chicken on the skewer pretty tasteless, and idem for the peanut sauce served with it. All four main courses were good, bu one extremely spicy, while we had asked for medium spice for all. The ribs were particularly good, juicy and tender, the shrimps dish had three large shrimps and small shrimps (we assumed to save money!). The servers were pleasant. When the bill came to our surprise there was a $2 that was added to it with the mention "family style". When asked the manager said that the owner charges that because the family style dishes are slightly bigger and a large bowl of rice is served rather than small ones. We had checked the tables next to us, the servings appeared the same, and we ended leaving half of the "big bowl" of rice. We suggested that the owner adds a few cents here and there and avoid irritating the customers with such a chintzy charge!.. If you call for reservations and they offer to sit outside DON'T DO IT, You'll end up with claustrophobia sitting in a alley between two tall buildings. The inside is dark no doubt to hide the inexpensive chairs and set up. Probably okay for college students?

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

47% Recommend
Tucson
“Terrible food, terrible service, go elsewhere!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Very very slow service. My dish was bland, my husband's was super salty with chewy rice noodles (under cooked). The worst Thai food I've every had, actually the worst food I've had at a local Tucson restaurant with the worst service. Just bad, really really bad. What a waste of a beautiful decor and atmosphere!

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Calgary, Canada
“Am I the last one to discover this incredible restaurant??”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

I can only say that our experience at V Fine Thai Dining was the best ever for dinner in Tucson over many years. Our reception was warm and appreciatative, the service impeccable, the ambiance (that patio is killer!) and food...ah the food..exquisite!. We had Chesapeake oysters for an appetizer. We received six succulent oysters accompanied by a zesty Thai-inspired salsa as an accompaniment. We are both huge bouillabaise fans (not Thai I know, but we were dying to try it). I lived in Paris for three years as a student , and have been back to France many times and had memories of some wonderful authentic French bouillabaises. My fiance also spoke of the best one he had in Marselle a few years ago. Last year we were in Nice at what Zagat claimed to be the best restaurant in Nice. And yes it was good but their version of bouillabaise was lacking our opinion. Hence, no tripadvisor review:-). Last night's soup was different than the original as it infused the soup with some wonderful, fresh, thai spices....BEST bouillabaise I have ever had!! Lots of succulent seafood (the crab leg and grilled scallops added to the soup were delicious) and an amazing, fragrant broth. We are fortunate in this city which, as much as I love it, has an over-representation of that American favourite, the 'fast-food" restaurant. You know the kind where the most utilized appliance in the kitchen is the micro-wave...yuck! The service was not quick (we were asked when we sat down if we were in a rush, we were not). The service however, was most attentive and just right for the occassion. I knew that the time being taken on our food by the wonderful Seattle-imported chef would be rewarded by a carefully prepared scrumptious meal. The manager, Sterling and our server Tessa and (I am sorry, I didn't catch the name) the handsome gentleman who brought us our wine and also looked after us, were wonderful. I can't say enough about this find. V....you and your restaurant have instantly become our favourite dinner place in Tucson. Next time we will come to eat the Thai food!!

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Tucson, Arizona
“Our favorite Thai food in Tucson”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Its hard to find consistently good Thai food in Tucson. V Fine Thai comes the closest to serving very tasty creative Thai cuisine. Great dishes include green curry with grilled chicken, massaman curry with lamb, pad thai with scallops, and green papaya salad. The service is wonderful; a collection of unique characters that aren't afraid to share their opinion. Best, of course is Villa herself. Her energy is infectious and she is so proud of her commitment to serving healthy thi food that is low in calories and high in flavor. Like other Thai restaurants, consistency is their one failing, with the same dishes being prepared totally differently the next time we order. On the other hand, they are very accommodating, altering a dish to our specifications if a key ingredient is not available. It's a nice touch, which makes you feel warm and welcome. I have never had anything but a great dining experience, with the caveats noted. Check it out.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Tucson, AZ
“Great Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

Very tasty and creative. The seafood curry was excellent with interesting flavors of hot and sweet. Definitely will go back again.
Friendly staff with smiles on their faces. I believe they were really happy to have us there.

• Visited June 2012