“Don't forget the $100 cash deposit!” 3 of 5 stars

Catalina Inn
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   15691 North Oracle Road, Tucson, AZ 85739-9111   |
Ranked #68 of 127 hotels in Tucson
Colorado
“Don't forget the $100 cash deposit!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011

Why you should stay here: it's cheap and you can stay with your dogs. ALL other cheaper Tucson motels are waaayyyy worse! Trust me! But this place is not that hot. My number one complaint would be listening to sex from the neighbors'. I really thought someone was playing a practical joke it was so theatrical-- but unfortunately it was disgustingly real. When we checked out, we were walking away from the desk when I asked my husband if he'd gotten my $100 cash pet deposit back. "No". We returned to the desk and requested our money back. The clerk at the desk reluctantly went to check the room for damage, finding none, I got my $100 back-- but what if I forgot!!!!

Room Tip: I dunno...ask for the room where you don't hear people having sex.
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled with family

30 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Calgary AB Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2010

Where to begin well in general the hotel is very nice but the only complaint I have is if you don't want to listen to your neighbors having sex well then do not stay here the bloody walls are so paper thin it is not even funny I can here the neighbors in the next room talking at even normal levels but the rest of my stay other than that was fine . bed was great , shower was great , front desk staff ( Jade ) was fantastic she was so polite and accomodating i was she worked for me

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Crowley, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2010

We stayed one night this past week at the Catalina Inn and enjoyed our stay very much. The room was very clean, comfortable and nicely decorated. Staff was great with an easy check-in. We chose this location for a visit to Saguaro National Park. The only very minor complaint is that we had asked for a 4:00 a.m. wakeup call (in order to get some sunrise photos of Saguaro); but did not get the call until 5:00 a.m. It was not that much of an inconvenience though. The location was nice, clean, comfortable, quiet and a bargain for the price- couldn't ask for better. No hesitation in recommending this one and we will definitely stay again on our next visit to Tucson.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
New Brunswick Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2010

Check in with Ashley was great. I asked for a quiet room, having read earlier reviews. She assured me there had been no recent complaints about noise. The room was acceptable, spacious and clean. As expected except for the noise. Obviously constructed with no sound-dampening, every sound travels. I literally could hear the couple next door. Sorry about your grandma, Amy.
I thought about asking for another room, but what would be the point?
Formerly a Super 8, I think. This property was built on the cheap and is not up to even BW standards. "Business centre" was a PC in the lobby in working order. SLOW WiFi

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
Lancashire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2009

We stayed here for one night in July en route from Phoenix, taking an alternative route towards the Tuscon area avoiding the interstate and with no set plan. Though a bit far out of downtown Tuscon it was a good stopping place to overnight and get a feel for the locations of the state/national parks. We found the staff very polite and helpful, our room very clean, breakfast above the average. A place we would stay again.

Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2009

We chose this hotel to be close to the kids' grandparents. We would return to this location again although there are newer hotels popping up along the Oracle Road corridor all the time so hopefully the price will go down in the future. We found the staff to be very friendly and accommodating. The most upbeat employees were the housekeeping staff, followed by the front desk personnel, and even the groundskeeper was friendly if you spoke enough Spanish. The pool wasn't heated and it was shaded by early afternoon so it became uncomfortably cold even in the Tucson heat in the middle of the day. Our room, with a great view of the Catalinas, was on the small side, having 2 queen beds crammed into it along with an overly large desk. The breakfast had decent choices - the kids loved the waffles - and there are cereals, pastries, fruit, bread, bagels and even hard boiled, shelled eggs. Overall this was a pleasant place to stay.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2008

We chose this hotel due to it's locationear my in-law's home in Oro Valley. We stayed for 4 nights in March 08. My brother in-law and his family & my sister in-law also stayed there at the same time for our family gathering. Very poor sound buffering, I heard every toilet flush and shower run on the ground level, in addition to multiple "conversations" from our "neighbors". + Roaches in our room, I ws able to kill one, the other one got away. Upon our check-out we were given a reciept that stated our credit card would be charged approx $387.00. When I checked our credit card charges, our pending charge from "Motel 8" was over $425.00. I called the hotel for clarification, the woman asked if I were "my brother in-law's name", my first clue that something bad had happened with the billing. She was unable to figure our was happened so i asked to speak with the manager. He was too busy "going to a meeting" to address my concern at that time, but did call me back later. He attempted to explain the elevated bill due to "your credit card company does this on purpose while the bill is pending"!!! I called my credit card company and of course they don't do this. I called the Best Western corporate "customer service" number and although the young man listened to my situation, he then called the manager and then told me exactly what the manager had told me earlier. When I told him that my bill was not elevated by my credit card company, he did nothing. I called my brother in-law whose bill happened to be the same $387.00 charge although they had 4 people staying. How much do you bet that they switched the charges on us because we have the same last name? And then instead of confessing to the error, they are trying to bs their way our of it?

• Disliked — roaches, noise, billing problems
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Catalina Inn? Share your experiences!