“Tucson has 23 miles of Mexican restaurants. Why can't we find a good one?” 2 of 5 stars
Review of La Parilla Suiza

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Saint Croix Falls, Wisconsin
“Tucson has 23 miles of Mexican restaurants. Why can't we find a good one?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We have wintered in Tucson for the last two years and have been looking for a good Mexican restaurant. Saturday night we tried La Parilla Suiza on Oracle as it had been recommended. We thought that we might like Mexican food from Mexico City better than Sonoran. We couldn't tell any difference. The margarita's were so-so. The chips and salsa were mediocre. Jim's meal, flautas #54, was dry and tasteless. My vegetarian meal was okay. The good thing was that the food came to the table hot but the waiters were so anxious to get us fed and out of there that we felt very rushed. The atmosphere was plain and the mariachi band that was scheduled never showed up. The Saturday night atmosphere was not improved by lots of crying babies. We thought we liked Mexican food until we came to Tucson. We haven't found the right restaurant--La Parilla Suiza is not it.

• Visited January 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Weston, Connecticut
“Stick with the East Speedway location!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We love La Parilla but our recent visit was a disappointment overall and mostly because of the state of the restrooms. Shockingly dirty. Had I seen them before we ate we would have left. It appeared there was an earlier overflow incident that had not been properly cleaned up. Sorry, but that is NOT acceptable under any circumstances.

On a positive note, the guacamole was excellent, but I sort of lost my appetite.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Maricopa, Arizona
“In the top two”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Along with El Charro, La Parilla Suiza is one of the top two Mexican eateries in Tucson, a city filled with excellent choices. Their Chilaquiles Suizos, a perfection of chicken, cheese, and sour cream over corn tortilla chips, is all I ever order. And the Margaritas.

Visited November 2012
Tucson, Arizona
“Mexico City Mexican Food at its best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

They use generous amounts of Swiss instead of Mexican cheese and that makes everything rich and tasty. I am addicted to plate #15, which is two amazing grilled chicken quesadillas, two soft tacos (choose corn - the best - or flour tortillas) that you can have made with beef or chicken, peppers and bacon and onions mixed in...fabulous! Also, I always prefer their delicious refried beans over the charro beans, which are cooked whole. Three kinds of fresh salsas are always brought to the table first with fresh and warm chips, the margaritas ae excellent, and my husband loves the shrimp enchilada. Also,some of the best chilaquiles in town. Their grilled (a la parrillada) dishes are very popular too. I can't imagine not cleaning my plate when I eat at La Parilla Suiza, and I've been eating there for over 30 years, the east Speedway location in Tucson being the best. The servers have mostly been there for decades and are efficient and know their menu! If you love tortilla soup, done right, you've got to try theirs!

Visited November 2012
SUPERIOR
“Delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Great dining experience. Friendly staff and the food was excellent. The atmosphere was very relaxed.

• Visited October 2012