“Lovely rooms and grounds” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #68 of 127 Hotels in Tucson
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
“Lovely rooms and grounds”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2008

We stayed here at the beginning and end of a 2 week group tour. The hotel is very nicely appointed, with decor appropriate for the area. Our first room was on the lowest level, opening on to the grounds near the pool. It was very spacious. Our 2nd room was on the top level and was much smaller. Given a choice, we'd have preferred the other level. The location is quite far from the main area of Tucson so we were unable to walk anywhere (something we enjoy). If you are traveling on your own and have a car, it would be fine. The airport transportation was very good. We ate 1 lunch and 1 dinner at Miguel's and thought the food and service were both good. If we return to Tucson, we'd probably use this hotel again.

• Stayed January 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Polish first
Phoenix, AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2007

Several family members and I stayed at the La Posada because of its proximity to the NW Hospital. The front desk was very understanding and helpful during our very difficult time. They were able to get us all next to each other. They were sold out on Friday night, but when a room opened they called us so we were able to stay and avoid having to move to another hotel. The rooms were beautiful and the breakfast was extensive. We will defiantly be staying again when we return to Tucson.

Stayed November 2007
tucson, az
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2007

We had our wedding ceremony here and the front desk service was horrible. Not a single staff member knew about the wedding when family called to book rooms. When I called to see how many rooms were booked for the wedding, they said none. Clearly there were some booked. They misspelled almost all the last names so when I went to drop off welcome baskets, they said "that person is not staying here". They double booked us. Two rooms under the bride's last name and two rooms under the groom's last name. They quoted us one price when we booked the rooms and then charged us another when we checked out. When we talked to the manager about it, he accused us of making up rates and offered us an insulting $10 off our rooms. We spent over $1500 ourselves and had more than 10 rooms booked there for the wedding ceremony, but they still refused to accomodate us.
The front desk staff was very disorganized and clueless and the management has horrible guest service.
Also, just a health note, they do not clean the jets in the jacuzzi tub. When we turned the jets on, they spit out brown, slimy water.

• Liked — The event coordinator
  • Disliked — front desk service and management
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
ldmnaz, Manager at La Posada Lodge and Casitas, responded to this review, November 26, 2007
We do over 20 weddings a year. Every other experience has been positive.
Bronx, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2007

I stayed at the LaPosada as part of an organized tour (hotel chosen by tour company). While the facilities themselves (rooms, restaurant, bell hop) were quite adequate, the staff at the front desk made the stay impossible!

This began when I arranged, several weeks in advance, to be picked up at the Tucson airport and taken to the hotel. When I arrived at the airport no one was there. I called the hotel and was told someone would be there shortly -- which turned out to be about an hour later. This caused me to miss an important orientation given by my tour company.

Apparently the airport shuttle service to the hotel is contracted out to a private person who has only one van. Reservations, however, are made by the front desk staff at the hotel.

Upon returning to the hotel at the end of my vacation (about 2 weeks later) I immediately made a reservation to be taken back to the airport the next morning. That morning it turned out that the front desk staff had overbooked reservations to the airport, and the van could not accomodate everyone. The van driver/private contractor refused to take any responsibility, totally blaming the hotel staff. He divided people up based on their flight times (which was a reasonable thing to do under the circumstances) and changed the departure time of the van. However, even after all of us who were then rescheduled to go on that van were aboard, he refused to leave until the time he had said, even though that would have allowed him to return to the hotel to take the remaining people a little bit earlier.

In addition, I had accidently left a piece of luggage at a previous hotel during my trip. The night I returned to LaPosada I contacted the previous hotel and arranged to have the luggage transported to LaPosada the next day. I then talked with the front desk staff, requesting that they send me the luggage, at my expense, and gave them my address in New York. The next morning I checked with the front desk staff (the shift had changed) to confirm these instructions, and found there was absolutely no record of my original request. I then remade the request. The luggage eventually reached me in New York -- about 6 weeks later!

• Disliked — Front desk service and airport pickup
  • Stayed November 2006
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2007

We went to Tucson for a spring-break holiday with our 17-year-old daughter, and had booked La Posada in advance on the basis of on-line photos and reviews. We weren't disappointed. We had a third-floor room with very private balcony overlooking the grounds and pool, and with a view toward the golf course and mountains. While the room seemed somewhat small at first, it proved to be fine for our needs, and the spacious balcony with table and chairs was a real bonus. We could leave our sliding doors to the balcony open at all times and feel totally secure. The Mexican-flavoured decor helps to make the room more special than your standard hotel room. Everything was kept very clean, and the beds were good quality. The pool and hot-tub were well tended and attractive, and the numerous sun-lounges around them were comfy. Plus, the location of the hotel is convenient to restaurants, shopping, and other excursions.

Our only complaint: While we appreciated the complimentary breakfasts, they were rather monotonous, and we really question the hotel's decision to use only styrofoam plates, cups, and plastic cutlery. What a mountain of garbage is created every morning -- false economy, we think.

We would definitely go back. We recommend the third-floor rooms because of the privacy, security, and view. And the price (especially the on-line rate) is reasonable for the resort-like quality of this hotel.

• Liked — Attractive layout and grounds
  • Disliked — Styrofoam dishes at breakfast
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to La Posada Lodge and Casitas? Share your experiences!