“If you Must go to Tucson in the summer...” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
Save up to 35%
Ranked #52 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
Berkeley, California, United States
“If you Must go to Tucson in the summer...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

I've been to Tucson for a week or two four times over the years and survived. This time I had an experience that I would enjoy again any time of the year! This Varsity Clubs of America Suites was available for a week for an average of $66 per night. I walked into a spacious room with a kitchen with a full size refrigerator, two burner electric stove, four seat counter, lots of storage, and first class equipment: Cuisinart all the way!
The only discomfort I experienced was the entrance to my car in the afternoon and the hotel has no control over that.
The desk clerks were astoundly accommodating. The room cleaners only bothered me once a week and did only what I wanted done. I am a neat person, myself. TV in the living room and the bedroom, jacuzzi bath, and set your own temp AC ! Exercise room with about ten machines, lovely pool area...I was at home as much as I am in the SF Bay area. I cooked, I vegged, I recovered as much as I could from the unpleasant need to see Tucson in late June. Thanks.

Room Tip: I needed hand holds in the tub/shower, a rubber mat, and an outlet for my CPAP. All were available...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Willcox, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

We own at Diamond Resorts, and are Gold members which is supposed to entitle us to certain benefits, however we have yet been able to utilize these benefits. Example: We booked for this June 28-July 2 2014 stay at Varsity and specifically asked fpr a particular room and were told we had that room locked in. Upon check in we were told the room had been given to someone else the night before!! I checked and there were 16 other rooms available online through Diamond booking. I had asked for the specific room because it had a larger living room and I wanted to have all my kids and grandchildren in for a meal. At 106 degrees it is too hot to do this out by the pool, especially with an 18 month old child. The room we were given had a very small living room so I was unable to do the meal with my family. There just was not enough room. When I complained to Corporate, I was told that Varsity had told THEM "We tried every way possible to put them in a room of the same size as what they were promised". That is a LIE!! They did not. In addition, the range top had been left askew by house keeping and had to be reconnected by maintenance before I could cook. They only have two outdoor grills and they both were being used. Our "view" consisted of a palm tree trunk.....We have a sampler to consider upgrading to Silver. We will not be doing so since we cannot utilize the benefits as Gold members. At the high price of the "points" not to mention the maintenance fees, it would be ludicrous for us to do so. We also always get the upgraded amenities as Gold members and have at this resport, but had to ask for them this stay. I also noticed at this stay that the halls did not look as though they had been vacuumed in a while. The band aid on the ceiling fan is a nice touch don't you think? Overall, I would not recommend Diamond Resorts as a time share and if you want a specific room at Varsity, forget it. We have stayed at some very nice resorts through Diamond, Varsity Club is not one of them.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
San Antonio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

We stayed here for one night on our trip from Texas to California with our two small children. We wanted a place with a pool so the kids could swim after a long day in the car. It worked out perfectly. The pool was very nice and clean. The room was a king suite; a king bed in a bedroom and a sofa sleeper in the living room. Just enough space for the four of us. The kitchen had everything we needed and space to sit and have a meal. Staff was all very nice. The hotel was clean, but the rooms could use a little updating. It worked perfectly for us and our kids though. I got a great rate from Livingsocial.com More than worth every penny.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Diamond R, Manager at Varsity Clubs Of America - Tucson, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Thank you for sharing your review of your recent stay at the Varsity Clubs of America. We are really pleased that you chose to stay here, and that the resort had everything you needed for a comfortable stopover. We have an ongoing program of refurbishment and improvement here, and we feel sure that if you choose to come back for another visit in the future, you’ll appreciate the changes we’re making!
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

From check in to check out...a delightful surprise!
The front desk staff was friendly and accommodating. The room was the biggest surprise though. The separate bedroom was spacious as was the separate living room and kitchen. Kitchen fully equipped and squeaky clean as was the bathroom which had a jet Jacuzzi tub. The bedroom air conditioning unit sounded like a jet plane taking off and maintenance was in our room changing out the unit within minutes. I can easily see being able to stay in this unit for a very extended length of time.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Enjoyed my stay. Staff very friendly, lobby quiet and coffee/tea available at all hours. Room very comfortable, extraordinarily clean and quiet. Furnished with everything needed for the stay - all the kitchen necessities and plenty of extra bath/pool towels, etc. Very nice extras for a family - large swimming pool, ping pong table, foosball and fitness center. Fast food and drug store are across the street, a few restaurants within walking distance. Hotel is located in a business district but it's an easy drive to the university, shopping, restaurants and tourist attractions. I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
diamondresorts, Manager at Varsity Clubs Of America - Tucson, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
We are really pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay at the Varsity Clubs of America, and that the resort had everything you needed for a great vacation! We are delighted that you would like to return here in the future, and we can’t wait to see you again!
San Francisco, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

Customer service was very good. Front desk staff was very friendly and upbeat. Very insightful and knowledgeable. The hotel was very clean and comfortable. There was an over-abundance of resources available in the room and lobby area, i.e. towels, pillows, drinks. There was no breakfast offered. The local bus service has a stop right in front of the hotel and the University of Arizona is about 2 miles away. There is also a movie theater less than one mile away. There is a Walgreens and a few fast food restaurants located directly across the street and adjacent to the hotel. There were more towels than one would have a need for ready on the bed and in the bathroom. The couch wasn't very comfortable, but the bed was comfortable. The bath tub was a jet-tub and was easy to use and warm water was quick to flow. There were soaps and shampoos and other cleaning gels.

There was a fitness center with three treadmills, some ellipticals and some weights; two TV's in the fitness center, with a remote provided by the front desk to control them. There are small locker rooms immediately accessible from the fitness center, and the pool is accessible from the fitness center as well. The pool and the fitness center are open from early morning to late at night. There is a pool table, and ping pong table in the front lobby area and a seating area with a tv on the news channel in the lobby area as well.

The staff was very friendly, proactive and thoughtful, remembering names and greeting at all times.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
diamondresorts, Manager at Varsity Clubs Of America - Tucson, responded to this review, May 4, 2014
Thank you for joining us and also for posting the details of your stay with us! We strive to provide an overall exceptional experience to our guests. We are so pleased that you had such a wonderful stay and enjoyed all areas of our resort and the personalized service our teams provide. Please know that we sincerely value your feedback and your patronage. We excitedly look forward to your next stay with us!
Charlotte, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

General
My family (2 adults, 1 teen) stayed there for a week in April for spring break, as member of Diamond Resorts, in a 2-bedroom accommodation. We flew into Phoenix and drove about 2 hours to get there. You really need a car to go anywhere. The location made the place feel more like a hotel (amongst stores, car dealerships, local restaurants) than what one might consider a “resort”, especially since it was in an average neighborhood—not a big deal for us but just saying.

Likes
Very large rooms with plenty of storage
Comfortable beds, reasonable pillows
Lots of stores nearby
Pool, outdoor grill, recreation (ping pong, pool table), business center, exercise room
Free, well-lit parking
Large laptop in-room safe
Reasonable speed (2-3 Mbps) free Wi-Fi
Friendly staff
No timeshare sale, unlike many other Diamond Resorts

Neutral
Noisy because it was on a busy city street corner
LED TV but no HD signal
DVD player not Blu-Ray
No in-room laundry but complementary common laundry

Dislikes
Late 80’s décor, laminate countertops
Noisy below-window A/C units
Uncomfortable sofa
No oven or dishwasher, only 2 burner stove and microwave

Fun Things We Did
Rooster Cogburn Ostrich Farm (silly but fun)
Kitt Peak Observatory NIGHT program (awesome, must do)
Biosphere 2
Saguaro National Park East and West
Arizona-Sonoran Desert Museum (very nice, go early to see animals before gets too hot)
Titan Missile Museum
Sabino Canyon tour / hike

So So Things We Did
OK Corral (in Tombstone)
Queen Mine Tour (in Bisbee), but Bisbee is nice town to visit
Steward Observatory Mirror Lab
Tucson Botanical Garden (not bad but expensive)

Summary
Average accommodations but more than adequate for our needs. Friendly staff. No major complaints, just needs updating. Supposed to undergo major renovation in August, so should be better by 2015.

Room Tip: Face away from street would be quieter
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
diamondresorts, Manager at Varsity Clubs Of America - Tucson, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Thank you for choosing us as your Tucson destination during Spring Break! We are happy to hear that you and your family had a pleasant stay overall. We appreciate when our valued members share their experience with us and we hope to welcome you all back again in the future to Varsity Clubs of America - Tucson for another memorable visit.

Been to Varsity Clubs Of America - Tucson? Share your experiences!