“Noisy luxury” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #43 of 127 hotels in Tucson
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Noisy luxury”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

Do not stay here if you are a light sleeper. Traffic noise from Speedway and Alvernon is horrible! Sirens. Buses. Squeaky brakes. Motorcycles. Ugh. Get an interior room out stay elsewhere. Pool and hot tub above average. Bedding and towels and bed comfort average only. Our tub shower curtain was quite discolored with red mold. Couch was coming apart. Front desk staff super friendly. Also a time share.

• Stayed November 2012

109 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Des Moines, Washington, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Pros - Nice pool area - clean large suites w/mini kitchen - free morning coffee & tea - free wi-fi
Cons - Not within walking distance of much - no oven or dishwasher in the unit - no restaurant on site or within walking distance (unless you count McDonald's across the street)

This is a cross between a time share/condo and a hotel. I would definitely stay here again

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012 via mobile

The staff is less than informative. They don't provide daily house keeping, including clean towels. Room set up was nice but I wouldn't stay here again. No restaurant or bar on site. Pool is nice but only in sun a few hours.

• Stayed September 2012
diamondresorts, Manager at Varsity Clubs Of America - Tucson, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Thank you for your review. We always strive to deliver exceptional hospitality and offer good quality accommodation to each of our guests who stay with us, and it is concerning to us that our accommodations, amenities, and the behavior of our team member staff did not meet your expectations. As we are primarily a Vacation Ownership property, housekeeping services are provided on a weekly basis. This information, along with additional services and amenities, is relayed to our 3rd party rental partners, so that they can advise their customers. Your business with us is sincerely appreciated and we wish you the best on all your future travels. We hope that you will consider us again if you come back to the Tucson area again.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

I go to a lot of the University of Arizona home games in Tucson. I have stayed in probably 7 hotels before I found this jewel. The property was very clean and well maintained. The bed was a fresh and firm pillow top. The linens were impeccable. There was a FULL KITCHEN with pots/pans silver wear, dished, full refrigerator, oven, cooktop, coffee maker, blender, etc. I mean a full kitchen. There were 2 wall mounted HD TV's, one in the bedroom and one in the living room. I would say 42" screens. They have complimentary WIFI. I will never stay anywhere else in Tucson. Be sure to check Priceline for bargain prices. I saved half. There is no restaurant in the hotel, but a snack shop.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Charlotte, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for four nights in September 2012. I had an "efficiency unit" with the bed off the living area and kitchen. The room and bathroom were huge, nicely decorated and extremely clean. I had a king size bed that was probably the most comfortable bed I ever slept in. The linens are available for purchase which I am considering :). I had a room overlooking the pool and it was very quiet except for an occasional squeal from a child at the pool during the day. Not having visited Tucson before, I was not sure how safe the location would be. As a single female traveling alone, I felt very safe and the location was ideal, being so centrally located in town. The tv was a flat screen on a pivot wall mount so it could be adjusted to view from the bed or living area. The free wifi worked and I was able to print my boarding passes on the hotel business center. The hotel is 9 miles from the airport with 20-25 minutes travel time depending on traffic/time of day. The room also had a nice selection of local guides that assisted me with adding some additional activities I had not planned. I also used the guest laundry which was free (no quarters needed) for guest use.

What could be improved? They could add a guest laundry on the first floor. I was on the first floor and had to go to the 2nd or 3rd floor to use it. The one on the 2nd floor had only 2 washers and 2 dryers so I was fortunate no one else was using it at the time. Also, a mini dishwasher In each kitchen would be nice. They provide dish soap but with only a mini bar sized sink, how could you easily wash more than a glass or plate? This kept me from actually using the 2-burner stove to cook anything. Note: Candlewood Suites has a kichenette AND a mini dishwasher. This place is definitely a notch above CWS but CWS has one up on VCA with the dishwasher!

If I am ever in Tucson again, I will definitely staff here if the price is right. I got a great deal on hotels.com for $60 a night for this stay!

• Stayed September 2012
Anchorage, Alaska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

Tucson was a new destination for us, so we were very much looking forward to the journey. Getting to the Varsity Club was relatively easy. It is located on the corner of a busy intersection in central Tucson. Location is great, albeit a bit noisy.

We arrived and were pleasantly greated and checked in. The rooms in our unit were a bit on the small side. It felt cramped despite the tall ceilings. We enjoy cooking with local ingredients when we travel. However, we found the kitchen was not cooking friendly. Too small and ill equipped to do much more than re-heat leftovers.

There is a nice pool outside with a separate hot tub. While it was sometimes noisy from street traffic, the pool area never seemed crowded and was well maintained.

There are several nice restaurants nearby. And downtown is a straight shot down Speedway Blvd. All in all a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the road if you are sensitive to road noise.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012 via mobile

Absolutely beyond my expectations! Stayed in the 2bedroom handicapped accessible room for the labor day weekend and it was perfect. Brought my ill father to tuscon to meet his first great grandson and your establishment took all the stress out of our trip. Rooms were very spacious so he was able to get around in his wheelchair in the room. Bathrooms were both handicapped accessible with all the necesarry equipment. Will recommend your resort to all our friends and family visiting in tucson...well be back again very soon! Thank you to a wonderful staff of people...your friendly smiles made our trip perfect.

• Stayed August 2012
diamondresorts, Owner at Varsity Clubs Of America - Tucson, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
We’re really pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay at the Varsity Clubs of America at Tucson - thank you very much for your review! We hold our staff to an extremely high standard of customer service, and we’re delighted that they made your vacation a memorable and enjoyable one.

We encourage our guests to contact us as soon as possible if they have any specific accommodation requirements, as we’ll do everything we can to make sure that these requirements are fulfilled – we’re really glad that the apartment you were allocated met with your satisfaction and your father’s requirements!

We’re delighted that you’d recommend this resort, and we hope that you’ll choose to return here for another vacation. We look forward to seeing you again!

Been to Varsity Clubs Of America - Tucson? Share your experiences!