“Mediocre” 2 of 5 stars

Save up to 35%
Ranked #43 of 127 hotels in Tucson
“Mediocre”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012 via mobile

The staff is less than informative. They don't provide daily house keeping, including clean towels. Room set up was nice but I wouldn't stay here again. No restaurant or bar on site. Pool is nice but only in sun a few hours.

• Stayed September 2012
diamondresorts, Manager at Varsity Clubs Of America - Tucson, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Thank you for your review. We always strive to deliver exceptional hospitality and offer good quality accommodation to each of our guests who stay with us, and it is concerning to us that our accommodations, amenities, and the behavior of our team member staff did not meet your expectations. As we are primarily a Vacation Ownership property, housekeeping services are provided on a weekly basis. This information, along with additional services and amenities, is relayed to our 3rd party rental partners, so that they can advise their customers. Your business with us is sincerely appreciated and we wish you the best on all your future travels. We hope that you will consider us again if you come back to the Tucson area again.

111 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

I go to a lot of the University of Arizona home games in Tucson. I have stayed in probably 7 hotels before I found this jewel. The property was very clean and well maintained. The bed was a fresh and firm pillow top. The linens were impeccable. There was a FULL KITCHEN with pots/pans silver wear, dished, full refrigerator, oven, cooktop, coffee maker, blender, etc. I mean a full kitchen. There were 2 wall mounted HD TV's, one in the bedroom and one in the living room. I would say 42" screens. They have complimentary WIFI. I will never stay anywhere else in Tucson. Be sure to check Priceline for bargain prices. I saved half. There is no restaurant in the hotel, but a snack shop.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Charlotte, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for four nights in September 2012. I had an "efficiency unit" with the bed off the living area and kitchen. The room and bathroom were huge, nicely decorated and extremely clean. I had a king size bed that was probably the most comfortable bed I ever slept in. The linens are available for purchase which I am considering :). I had a room overlooking the pool and it was very quiet except for an occasional squeal from a child at the pool during the day. Not having visited Tucson before, I was not sure how safe the location would be. As a single female traveling alone, I felt very safe and the location was ideal, being so centrally located in town. The tv was a flat screen on a pivot wall mount so it could be adjusted to view from the bed or living area. The free wifi worked and I was able to print my boarding passes on the hotel business center. The hotel is 9 miles from the airport with 20-25 minutes travel time depending on traffic/time of day. The room also had a nice selection of local guides that assisted me with adding some additional activities I had not planned. I also used the guest laundry which was free (no quarters needed) for guest use.

What could be improved? They could add a guest laundry on the first floor. I was on the first floor and had to go to the 2nd or 3rd floor to use it. The one on the 2nd floor had only 2 washers and 2 dryers so I was fortunate no one else was using it at the time. Also, a mini dishwasher In each kitchen would be nice. They provide dish soap but with only a mini bar sized sink, how could you easily wash more than a glass or plate? This kept me from actually using the 2-burner stove to cook anything. Note: Candlewood Suites has a kichenette AND a mini dishwasher. This place is definitely a notch above CWS but CWS has one up on VCA with the dishwasher!

If I am ever in Tucson again, I will definitely staff here if the price is right. I got a great deal on hotels.com for $60 a night for this stay!

• Stayed September 2012
Anchorage, Alaska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

Tucson was a new destination for us, so we were very much looking forward to the journey. Getting to the Varsity Club was relatively easy. It is located on the corner of a busy intersection in central Tucson. Location is great, albeit a bit noisy.

We arrived and were pleasantly greated and checked in. The rooms in our unit were a bit on the small side. It felt cramped despite the tall ceilings. We enjoy cooking with local ingredients when we travel. However, we found the kitchen was not cooking friendly. Too small and ill equipped to do much more than re-heat leftovers.

There is a nice pool outside with a separate hot tub. While it was sometimes noisy from street traffic, the pool area never seemed crowded and was well maintained.

There are several nice restaurants nearby. And downtown is a straight shot down Speedway Blvd. All in all a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the road if you are sensitive to road noise.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012 via mobile

Absolutely beyond my expectations! Stayed in the 2bedroom handicapped accessible room for the labor day weekend and it was perfect. Brought my ill father to tuscon to meet his first great grandson and your establishment took all the stress out of our trip. Rooms were very spacious so he was able to get around in his wheelchair in the room. Bathrooms were both handicapped accessible with all the necesarry equipment. Will recommend your resort to all our friends and family visiting in tucson...well be back again very soon! Thank you to a wonderful staff of people...your friendly smiles made our trip perfect.

• Stayed August 2012
diamondresorts, Owner at Varsity Clubs Of America - Tucson, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
We’re really pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay at the Varsity Clubs of America at Tucson - thank you very much for your review! We hold our staff to an extremely high standard of customer service, and we’re delighted that they made your vacation a memorable and enjoyable one.

We encourage our guests to contact us as soon as possible if they have any specific accommodation requirements, as we’ll do everything we can to make sure that these requirements are fulfilled – we’re really glad that the apartment you were allocated met with your satisfaction and your father’s requirements!

We’re delighted that you’d recommend this resort, and we hope that you’ll choose to return here for another vacation. We look forward to seeing you again!
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

Spent a week here in February. Stayed in a one bedroom. The hotel is really a sort of time share that also rents rooms. Therefore there was a small kitchen with microwave and stove top (no oven) and PRECISELY four of everything else....glasses, plates, knives, forks, etc.etc. Small counter-top to eat on and a small living room with TV and couch. There were only two of us and I could not imagine stuffing 4 folks into this space. Mostly ate in and the nearby Trader Joe's made that very painless. (Gotta luv them!) Yes, it is located on a very busy all-day-all-night street, but the windows and walls kept the noise well within the "no problem" range. And I am a light sleeper. We had the good luck to be on the 2nd floor and had a small balcony looking west. Made for a nice place to sit for happy hour. Avoid first floor if possible unless you like car lights from the parking lot illuminating your room. The front desk staff were very helpful, when needed. And, amazingly enough, the lobby coffee/espresso machine turned out a pretty good cup. Much easier to grab one of these than brewing it up in the room. There was a glitch in the billing that showed up after returning home, but it did get straightened out fairly quickly. The rooms and public areas are a little "tired", but OK. The team sports theme (it's the Varsity Club, hey.) was tolerable and easily ignored. When booking explore their website CAREFULLY. The room price that first show up can be found cheaper by doing some clicking around the site and drilling down. Would be happy to go back.

Room Tip: Second and third floor are better, Try to snare a balcony.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Guelph
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

What a gem! Clean clean clean. Great staff, couldn't do enough for us. Very plush feeling to this resort with the foothills and palms in view. Wonderful courtyard with pool, spa and practice golf greens. There was always maintenance staff cleaning. Cappacino/tea machine for a hot cup anytime. Plush towels, extra large towels for the pool. Tuck shop. Desk staff available 24/7. Can't say enough about how great this place is.

Room Tip: Pool side rooms and those along the front could be noisier than the parking lot side.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
diamondresorts, Owner at Varsity Clubs Of America - Tucson, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
We’re really glad to read that your vacationat the Varsity Clubs of America at Tucson was an enjoyable and memorable one! Our staff endeavour to deliver The Meaning Of Yes® to all guests, and we’re pleased to read that they were able to offer you all the assistance you required during your stay.

We hope that you’ll choose to come back to the Varsity Clubs of America, and we look forward to being of service to you again!

Been to Varsity Clubs Of America - Tucson? Share your experiences!