“Cool break from the heat” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #64 of 127 Hotels in Tucson
Nashville, Tennessee
“Cool break from the heat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

For a category 2 Sheraton we had a very good experience. For the price this place was perfectly fine. Old and in need of an upgrade yes, but an upgrade would more than likely bring up the price and we paid a very reasonable rate. We enjoyed the courtyard very much. On a Friday night, no loud obnoxious pounding music, turns out hey hired two men through out the summer on Friday's 7-9 for a "summer concert series". And these guys were AWESOME!!! They turn the lights off (good due to the heat and adds nice atmosphere) and had little candles lite. I was very relaxed enjoying a beverage and sitting back listening to the men play their guitars and sing.
The club lounge did a much better job than some other category 2 Sheraton's we have experienced. The attendant was friendly and efficient but not intrusive. She constantly restocked and kept all clean and fresh. The breakfast in the lounge was the usual Sheraton scramble from a carton and shredded potato's along with fresh fruit and toast/bagel/English muffin. The evening appetizers were fresh pizza and salad and cheese platter (no crackers seemed a bit odd). We did have a problem with our room and it was immediately resolved. We had a top floor room, no issues with noise. The bed was harder than we like and the comforter was VERY heavy, not sure why as it is in the 100's now, would think they would store it for the summer months. The air con worked really good. Overall we were pleased and would come back, good location and nice ambiance.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Margaret R, General Manager at Sheraton Tucson Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
We are very happy you enjoyed your stay with us. It is great to hear you enjoyed the music and atmosphere. We have several other acitivies planned, please come by and see us again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Oxnard, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I agree with other reviewers that the hotel lobby was modern and updated. Very nice. We were upgraded to a suite on the club level. Ok, the carpet was filthy. Furnishings are dated. Bathrooms are very small and the sink is located outside the bathroom which is a little odd. Linens were clean but the bed was the most uncomfortable bed I've slept in in a long time. More signs need to be posted as to where the ice machines are. This hotel could be a gem since it has the Sheraton name and is close to restaurants etc. but I can't get past the condition of the room. Wouldn't stay again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Margaret R, General Manager at Sheraton Tucson Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Please accept our, sincere, apologies for all of the inconveniences you encountered during your recent stay. We have a few different types of rooms, specifically, ones that do not have the vanity oursite the bathroom. We strive to ensure all of our guests are satisfied with the service and accommodations, please contact us directly so we can ensure your next stay is a perfect one.
White Plains, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

The lobby is updated and beautiful and I was greeted warmly by the staff and ice cold water with lemon or strawberries or lime was available each day; the daily newspaper is available for purchase just off the lobby (despite the bellman's statement that it is not). I had a room on a high-floor (quiet area) as requested, and the room was clean and the bed comfortable; the air conditioning kept the room nice and cool, even on 100-dgreee + days. The included breakfast was good; eggs were cooked to order, if requested. The fresh fruit, bacon, sausage, French toast, bagels, rolls and other food was good. The maids were outstanding, and attended to my every need -- all of which is why I stay at Sheraton.

Now the problem. The internet, wired and wireless did not work the entire stay, with "security" issues blocking access. I was unable to get any work done during my entire stay, ruining my visit. Despite multiple calls to the front desk and several calls to the hotel's internet help desk, no one resolved the problem, and absolutely no one cared. The hotel's front desk promised to send their onsite software "expert" to my room by 2:30 o'clock Saturday afternoon, May 25, but he never showed up as promised. The hotel's internet help desk, after 3 calls, promised to elevate the problem to higher level technical support and call me back, but never did. There is no problem with my laptop; I used the same Dell laptop at the airports and on my flights to Tucson, and at other hotels earlier in the month, without incident. I disabled my security system; it is a personal laptop; constant security windows appeared blocking access to any account or website requiring a pass word, or other security measures. No one helped me, and the weekend was a loss, with work piling up which I was never able to complete. The poor service was a big disappointment! The general manager, Margaret Robidoux, was never available, despite repeated requests to speak with her.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Please accept our sincere apologies for the lack of response from the staff regarding your Internet service. This is not the type of service we normally provide and apologize we fell short of our goal. If there is anything we can do for you in the future, please contact us directly.
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

The hotel and staff were very nice. Our room was quickly upgraded to a suite on the Club level because we are Starwood owners. The conditions of the hotel were a bit older, the gated doors to get into the hotel from the parking lot were clunky and sometimes stuck. The room was clean and fine, but the bathroom was tiny. The bathroom sink was in the bedroom, not the bath room.
After staying at another Sheraton last summer in Anaheim, we expected the complimentary breakfast in the morning to have a bit more substance. Sunday morning we had oatmeal or overdone french toast sticks. Monday it was eggs and cold hashbrowns. I had expected sausage or bacon or even ham to compliment the "hot dishes". The other items were fine, pastries, bread, bagels, cereals, Starbucks coffee, soda, juices. The dining room staff was very nice and pleasant and cleaned up dishes fast and organized newspapers.
The pool area was spacious, but not a pool for small kids. Other than an area to step into the pool, it was deep, so we just stayed close to our toddlers and watched them as they played on the steps and rail in the pool. No lifeguard, so we couldn't do much about the large family with about 7 kids who constantly ran and jumped/splashed into the pool the entire time we were out there. No wait service either, which was odd to me...No opp to sip on a few cold drinks while we were out there. The pool water was dirty, oily and full of debris in corners...probably because it was busy with people all day.
What really irked us though, was we had passed by the housekeeper two doors down from our room after we were at the pool in the afternoon. We told her our room needed cleaning/changing towels and we were headed to dinner, so we'd be out of there in 30 minutes. She seemed to be cool with that and wrote it down on her clipboard. But when we came back that night, our room wasn't touched. We called the front desk and they gave us some Starpoints back, and had someone bring up some clean towels. We appreciate this, but still bummed out to come to a dirty room and unmade bed and wet, dirty towels.
I think in the future if we take the kids for a weekend trip, we pony up the bigger $$ and stay at the Westin Paloma Resort so we know it is more kid friendly. Like I said, this review is coming from the viewpoint of a family with small kids. If it was just me and I needed a place to stay, it was an affordable place to stay. The Sheraton beds are always great!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Margaret R, General Manager at Sheraton Tucson Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
We are very glad that you took the time to let us know about your recent visit at our hotel. It was great to hear our staff upgraded you to a Club level room and mentioned the friendly staff. I would like to take a few moments to let you know that all of the areas your mentioned, such as the noisy gates, dirty pool, no wait staff poolside and the fact that your room was not serviced, especially after speaking to one of our suite attendants is not acceptable and will be addressed immediately. We apologize for any and all of the inconveniences you encountered. If you would like to discuss this further or if there is anything I can do for you in the future, please contact me directly. I look forward to hearing from you or accommodating you again soon.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Place was really pricey it's rated a 4 star but rooms are not at all 4 star quality very outdated. Lobby is the only place that looks renovated. Was not happy with room appearance of hotel property. As soon as I got in the elevator I already knew I was going to be very disappointed with my room before seeing it. The property could use alot of work on landscape, parking lot, and hotel appearance and better updated rooms for the price they are asking for a night. I have stayed in 3 stars better than this! The only thing that was worth it was the breakfast buffet which was a reasonable price and had great selections.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Margaret R, General Manager at Sheraton Tucson Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Thank you for providing feedback on your recent stay. We apologize for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay with us. We will be making the necessary changes throughout the property and hope you may give us another try in the future. Please contact me directly if I can be of assistance to you in any way.
Hereford, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

The room was adequate but nothing special with a really small bathroom and a horrible view.
The breakfast was HORRIBLE! I took a bite of the scrambled eggs and quickly spit them out, Same with the so called hashbrowns.
The people were nice but the pool was packed with unruly children. Overall a nightmare,,

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
We apologize for the inconveniences you encountered during your recent stay. I will be following up with our food and beverage department regarding our breakfast and will review our pool policy and procedures with our staff. This should not have happened and we apologize. Please contact me directly if I can be of service to you in the future.
Atlanta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

There's nothing wrong with being a little bit old. Heck, I should know. And when it comes to a hotel property, old doesn't necessarily mean worn and antiquated. That's the impression I got while staying at this property over the weekend. Parts of the hotel have been renovated while other parts need a little work.

The lobby made a great first impression. It was updated and airy with an open air concept. Behind the check-in desk was an internet cafe with four terminals with free access to guests. The terminals included printers. Behind the internet cafe was a glorified coffee stand, which sold Starbucks coffee and offered an assortment of breakfast type snacks including muffins, cereal bars and the like. There was also a sundries pantry offering items for sale such as ice cream, candy bars, and other sundries.

The check-in process was seamless and efficient and took just a few minutes. Kudos to the staff for allowing me to check-in early (around Noon).

The pool area was beautiful, complete with a large, sun drenched area that also featured a hot tub. Adjacent to the pool was a restaurant and bar. I didn't use the pool, although it hosted a lively crowd of all ages. There were plenty of chairs, lounges and tables available. It looked like the perfect family hangout with guests of all ages having a great time.

With all of this said, why did I give this place an average rating?

That's because of the rooms. I really liked the fact that each room was a suite, complete with a bedroom, bathroom and living area. The living room featured a pull out sleeper sofa with large sized working desk, sink and television. It's the perfect set-up for families with kids. You go to one room and the kids sleep in the other. Overall, the room was clean and neat. But unfortunately, the carpet in my particular room was full of stains and aging. It looked like it either needed a deep cleaning or to be replaced. The bathroom was tiny and the bathroom's sink was located in the bedroom just outside the shower part of the bathroom itself. It reminded me of some old Holiday Inn locations I stayed at as a kid. Had the bathroom been all inclusive and had the carpets been more presentable, I probably would have given this property a higher rating. Another strange feature to the room was the curtain rod which went across the front doors of the room for privacy. I don't think I'd ever seen that in a hotel.

As for location, the hotel was close to everything. It's located about 10 minutes by car east of the University of Arizona campus. There are dining options close by including an IHOP in the adjacent parking lot and an Applebees right down the street. If you need bulk items, theres a Costco within a three minute drive of the hotel.

The hotel also offers free internet access (speed and signal strength both good in my room) and the standard toiletries in each room including soaps and shampoos.

My room rate was $79 plus tax per night, a pretty good deal all things considered.

Would I stay here again? Probably. But consider this hotel as a relatively clean option with a great pool in a central location. I wouldn't consider it for a vacation destination but rather a decent option if you are either on business or are attending a weekend event at the U of A.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
We appreciate you taking the time to complete a review on your recent stay. Thank you for all of the detailed information regarding our hotel. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and liked our lobby, Link Cafe, pool area and that your check-in was pleasant. I would like to mention that we are checking all of our suites for carpet stains and make sure they are all addressed. We have several room types that do not have the bath vanity in the bedroom. Please let us know about your preference when making a reservation and we will make sure to take care of it for you. We hope to see you back again very soon.

Been to Sheraton Tucson Hotel and Suites? Share your experiences!