“Inexpensive, but not for young families” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #68 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
Phoenix, Arizona
“Inexpensive, but not for young families”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

The hotel and staff were very nice. Our room was quickly upgraded to a suite on the Club level because we are Starwood owners. The conditions of the hotel were a bit older, the gated doors to get into the hotel from the parking lot were clunky and sometimes stuck. The room was clean and fine, but the bathroom was tiny. The bathroom sink was in the bedroom, not the bath room.
After staying at another Sheraton last summer in Anaheim, we expected the complimentary breakfast in the morning to have a bit more substance. Sunday morning we had oatmeal or overdone french toast sticks. Monday it was eggs and cold hashbrowns. I had expected sausage or bacon or even ham to compliment the "hot dishes". The other items were fine, pastries, bread, bagels, cereals, Starbucks coffee, soda, juices. The dining room staff was very nice and pleasant and cleaned up dishes fast and organized newspapers.
The pool area was spacious, but not a pool for small kids. Other than an area to step into the pool, it was deep, so we just stayed close to our toddlers and watched them as they played on the steps and rail in the pool. No lifeguard, so we couldn't do much about the large family with about 7 kids who constantly ran and jumped/splashed into the pool the entire time we were out there. No wait service either, which was odd to me...No opp to sip on a few cold drinks while we were out there. The pool water was dirty, oily and full of debris in corners...probably because it was busy with people all day.
What really irked us though, was we had passed by the housekeeper two doors down from our room after we were at the pool in the afternoon. We told her our room needed cleaning/changing towels and we were headed to dinner, so we'd be out of there in 30 minutes. She seemed to be cool with that and wrote it down on her clipboard. But when we came back that night, our room wasn't touched. We called the front desk and they gave us some Starpoints back, and had someone bring up some clean towels. We appreciate this, but still bummed out to come to a dirty room and unmade bed and wet, dirty towels.
I think in the future if we take the kids for a weekend trip, we pony up the bigger $$ and stay at the Westin Paloma Resort so we know it is more kid friendly. Like I said, this review is coming from the viewpoint of a family with small kids. If it was just me and I needed a place to stay, it was an affordable place to stay. The Sheraton beds are always great!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Margaret R, General Manager at Sheraton Tucson Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
We are very glad that you took the time to let us know about your recent visit at our hotel. It was great to hear our staff upgraded you to a Club level room and mentioned the friendly staff. I would like to take a few moments to let you know that all of the areas your mentioned, such as the noisy gates, dirty pool, no wait staff poolside and the fact that your room was not serviced, especially after speaking to one of our suite attendants is not acceptable and will be addressed immediately. We apologize for any and all of the inconveniences you encountered. If you would like to discuss this further or if there is anything I can do for you in the future, please contact me directly. I look forward to hearing from you or accommodating you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Place was really pricey it's rated a 4 star but rooms are not at all 4 star quality very outdated. Lobby is the only place that looks renovated. Was not happy with room appearance of hotel property. As soon as I got in the elevator I already knew I was going to be very disappointed with my room before seeing it. The property could use alot of work on landscape, parking lot, and hotel appearance and better updated rooms for the price they are asking for a night. I have stayed in 3 stars better than this! The only thing that was worth it was the breakfast buffet which was a reasonable price and had great selections.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Margaret R, General Manager at Sheraton Tucson Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Thank you for providing feedback on your recent stay. We apologize for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay with us. We will be making the necessary changes throughout the property and hope you may give us another try in the future. Please contact me directly if I can be of assistance to you in any way.
Hereford, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

The room was adequate but nothing special with a really small bathroom and a horrible view.
The breakfast was HORRIBLE! I took a bite of the scrambled eggs and quickly spit them out, Same with the so called hashbrowns.
The people were nice but the pool was packed with unruly children. Overall a nightmare,,

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
We apologize for the inconveniences you encountered during your recent stay. I will be following up with our food and beverage department regarding our breakfast and will review our pool policy and procedures with our staff. This should not have happened and we apologize. Please contact me directly if I can be of service to you in the future.
Atlanta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

There's nothing wrong with being a little bit old. Heck, I should know. And when it comes to a hotel property, old doesn't necessarily mean worn and antiquated. That's the impression I got while staying at this property over the weekend. Parts of the hotel have been renovated while other parts need a little work.

The lobby made a great first impression. It was updated and airy with an open air concept. Behind the check-in desk was an internet cafe with four terminals with free access to guests. The terminals included printers. Behind the internet cafe was a glorified coffee stand, which sold Starbucks coffee and offered an assortment of breakfast type snacks including muffins, cereal bars and the like. There was also a sundries pantry offering items for sale such as ice cream, candy bars, and other sundries.

The check-in process was seamless and efficient and took just a few minutes. Kudos to the staff for allowing me to check-in early (around Noon).

The pool area was beautiful, complete with a large, sun drenched area that also featured a hot tub. Adjacent to the pool was a restaurant and bar. I didn't use the pool, although it hosted a lively crowd of all ages. There were plenty of chairs, lounges and tables available. It looked like the perfect family hangout with guests of all ages having a great time.

With all of this said, why did I give this place an average rating?

That's because of the rooms. I really liked the fact that each room was a suite, complete with a bedroom, bathroom and living area. The living room featured a pull out sleeper sofa with large sized working desk, sink and television. It's the perfect set-up for families with kids. You go to one room and the kids sleep in the other. Overall, the room was clean and neat. But unfortunately, the carpet in my particular room was full of stains and aging. It looked like it either needed a deep cleaning or to be replaced. The bathroom was tiny and the bathroom's sink was located in the bedroom just outside the shower part of the bathroom itself. It reminded me of some old Holiday Inn locations I stayed at as a kid. Had the bathroom been all inclusive and had the carpets been more presentable, I probably would have given this property a higher rating. Another strange feature to the room was the curtain rod which went across the front doors of the room for privacy. I don't think I'd ever seen that in a hotel.

As for location, the hotel was close to everything. It's located about 10 minutes by car east of the University of Arizona campus. There are dining options close by including an IHOP in the adjacent parking lot and an Applebees right down the street. If you need bulk items, theres a Costco within a three minute drive of the hotel.

The hotel also offers free internet access (speed and signal strength both good in my room) and the standard toiletries in each room including soaps and shampoos.

My room rate was $79 plus tax per night, a pretty good deal all things considered.

Would I stay here again? Probably. But consider this hotel as a relatively clean option with a great pool in a central location. I wouldn't consider it for a vacation destination but rather a decent option if you are either on business or are attending a weekend event at the U of A.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
We appreciate you taking the time to complete a review on your recent stay. Thank you for all of the detailed information regarding our hotel. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and liked our lobby, Link Cafe, pool area and that your check-in was pleasant. I would like to mention that we are checking all of our suites for carpet stains and make sure they are all addressed. We have several room types that do not have the bath vanity in the bedroom. Please let us know about your preference when making a reservation and we will make sure to take care of it for you. We hope to see you back again very soon.
Grand Junction, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

We love this hotel. They offer suites withba front room, which is convenient when traveling with children. If you stay, it is well worth the $15 per day club level access. There were three of us, and that $15 got us both breakfast and dinner each day! Breakfast is eggs, another hot item and yogurt, granola, cereal, breads, etc. Dinner is called evening appetizers, but it's enough for a meal. Pasta, garlic bread, chicken, etc.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Margaret R, General Manager at Sheraton Tucson Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
We are pleased you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and that you took advantage of our Sheraton Club! Please come back and visit us again.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

I ran a training for 150 people and the hotel was great, my room was spacious and the furniture was actually comfortable! The banquet staff were very helpful and me training went well. The only complaint would be the internet connection in the meeting room was not working properly and neither was the wifi outside of the meeting room. I have done this training at this property for the past few years and am happy to say that each time has been a success!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
It was great having you again this year! We look forward to accommodating you again very soon!
on th road
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

This hotel was perfectly located for my needs while in Tucson. An IHOP is next door to the property, which was convenient for breakfast. The Sheraton restaurant, Fire + Spice, makes a terrific salad with grilled salmon which I enjoyed. The staff were all very friendly and helpful.

I was pleased this hotel is entirely non-smoking but very unhappy they have no designated ‘NO PETS’ rooms for allergic guests. The 4th floor room I was given passed the sniff test though. The front desk employee was empathetic and as helpful as she could be. She also was kind enough to advise me on local store locations.

The bed was VERY soft and comfortable with plenty of pillows. The room had wired and wireless internet connection. I think the mini fridge is standard in every room, also coffee maker, no microwave. The lighting was adequate and everything worked. The room was clean and comfortable.

There is a nice fitness room with about a half dozen machines and TV. It’s centrally located near the restaurant and pool area.

On the negative side, the bathtub drain in my room was so slow, by the time I finished my shower the water was ankle deep.

Overall, my stay was quiet and comfortable. I look forward to my next stay at the Sheraton Tucson Hotel and Suites.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Margaret R, General Manager at Sheraton Tucson Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay. We are very glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. I will pass on your nice comments on our food to the Chef. We will make sure to correct any problems with the bathtub drain and will revisit our Pet Policy. Again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to your next visit!

Been to Sheraton Tucson Hotel and Suites? Share your experiences!