“An Older Hotel In The Old Pueblo” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #64 of 127 hotels in Tucson
Atlanta
“An Older Hotel In The Old Pueblo”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

There's nothing wrong with being a little bit old. Heck, I should know. And when it comes to a hotel property, old doesn't necessarily mean worn and antiquated. That's the impression I got while staying at this property over the weekend. Parts of the hotel have been renovated while other parts need a little work.

The lobby made a great first impression. It was updated and airy with an open air concept. Behind the check-in desk was an internet cafe with four terminals with free access to guests. The terminals included printers. Behind the internet cafe was a glorified coffee stand, which sold Starbucks coffee and offered an assortment of breakfast type snacks including muffins, cereal bars and the like. There was also a sundries pantry offering items for sale such as ice cream, candy bars, and other sundries.

The check-in process was seamless and efficient and took just a few minutes. Kudos to the staff for allowing me to check-in early (around Noon).

The pool area was beautiful, complete with a large, sun drenched area that also featured a hot tub. Adjacent to the pool was a restaurant and bar. I didn't use the pool, although it hosted a lively crowd of all ages. There were plenty of chairs, lounges and tables available. It looked like the perfect family hangout with guests of all ages having a great time.

With all of this said, why did I give this place an average rating?

That's because of the rooms. I really liked the fact that each room was a suite, complete with a bedroom, bathroom and living area. The living room featured a pull out sleeper sofa with large sized working desk, sink and television. It's the perfect set-up for families with kids. You go to one room and the kids sleep in the other. Overall, the room was clean and neat. But unfortunately, the carpet in my particular room was full of stains and aging. It looked like it either needed a deep cleaning or to be replaced. The bathroom was tiny and the bathroom's sink was located in the bedroom just outside the shower part of the bathroom itself. It reminded me of some old Holiday Inn locations I stayed at as a kid. Had the bathroom been all inclusive and had the carpets been more presentable, I probably would have given this property a higher rating. Another strange feature to the room was the curtain rod which went across the front doors of the room for privacy. I don't think I'd ever seen that in a hotel.

As for location, the hotel was close to everything. It's located about 10 minutes by car east of the University of Arizona campus. There are dining options close by including an IHOP in the adjacent parking lot and an Applebees right down the street. If you need bulk items, theres a Costco within a three minute drive of the hotel.

The hotel also offers free internet access (speed and signal strength both good in my room) and the standard toiletries in each room including soaps and shampoos.

My room rate was $79 plus tax per night, a pretty good deal all things considered.

Would I stay here again? Probably. But consider this hotel as a relatively clean option with a great pool in a central location. I wouldn't consider it for a vacation destination but rather a decent option if you are either on business or are attending a weekend event at the U of A.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Margaret R, General Manager at Sheraton Tucson Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to complete a review on your recent stay. Thank you for all of the detailed information regarding our hotel. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and liked our lobby, Link Cafe, pool area and that your check-in was pleasant. I would like to mention that we are checking all of our suites for carpet stains and make sure they are all addressed. We have several room types that do not have the bath vanity in the bedroom. Please let us know about your preference when making a reservation and we will make sure to take care of it for you. We hope to see you back again very soon.

377 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Grand Junction, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

We love this hotel. They offer suites withba front room, which is convenient when traveling with children. If you stay, it is well worth the $15 per day club level access. There were three of us, and that $15 got us both breakfast and dinner each day! Breakfast is eggs, another hot item and yogurt, granola, cereal, breads, etc. Dinner is called evening appetizers, but it's enough for a meal. Pasta, garlic bread, chicken, etc.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Margaret R, General Manager at Sheraton Tucson Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
We are pleased you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and that you took advantage of our Sheraton Club! Please come back and visit us again.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

I ran a training for 150 people and the hotel was great, my room was spacious and the furniture was actually comfortable! The banquet staff were very helpful and me training went well. The only complaint would be the internet connection in the meeting room was not working properly and neither was the wifi outside of the meeting room. I have done this training at this property for the past few years and am happy to say that each time has been a success!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
It was great having you again this year! We look forward to accommodating you again very soon!
on th road
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

This hotel was perfectly located for my needs while in Tucson. An IHOP is next door to the property, which was convenient for breakfast. The Sheraton restaurant, Fire + Spice, makes a terrific salad with grilled salmon which I enjoyed. The staff were all very friendly and helpful.

I was pleased this hotel is entirely non-smoking but very unhappy they have no designated ‘NO PETS’ rooms for allergic guests. The 4th floor room I was given passed the sniff test though. The front desk employee was empathetic and as helpful as she could be. She also was kind enough to advise me on local store locations.

The bed was VERY soft and comfortable with plenty of pillows. The room had wired and wireless internet connection. I think the mini fridge is standard in every room, also coffee maker, no microwave. The lighting was adequate and everything worked. The room was clean and comfortable.

There is a nice fitness room with about a half dozen machines and TV. It’s centrally located near the restaurant and pool area.

On the negative side, the bathtub drain in my room was so slow, by the time I finished my shower the water was ankle deep.

Overall, my stay was quiet and comfortable. I look forward to my next stay at the Sheraton Tucson Hotel and Suites.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Margaret R, General Manager at Sheraton Tucson Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay. We are very glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. I will pass on your nice comments on our food to the Chef. We will make sure to correct any problems with the bathtub drain and will revisit our Pet Policy. Again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to your next visit!
Edmonds, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I stayed here alone on a trip to visit my brother I stayed two nights.
The hotel complex has a few wings and it was a little confusing. figuring out where I was.
the room was excellent. it was quiet and the bed was great. It had a fridge and a microwave and complimentary bottled water. there was a great bar/restaurant onsite. the food was good and the staff was friendly.
When I arrived at 7PM in April it was still light outside, however the hotel hallways and corridors on the first floor are outside and the lights had not come on. they were very dark and creepy. there are multiple entrances into the hotel and you have to use your room key to get in, but it did not make me feel any more comfortable. they were dark enough that when I got to my room after dinner I did not go out of my room again.
the second night they had live music in the pool area. I stayed long enough that the lights in the halls came on. so that was better.
I would consider staying again. I would request a room closer to the main entrance.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
We appreciate you taking the time to write a review on your recent stay. There is always room for improvement feedback, such as yours, helps us improve on our service or accommodations. We are glad you enjoyed some of the services we offer such as the microwave, bottled water, live music and our food. Due to your feedback, we will be adjusting the time our indoor lights come on in the evening. Thank you and we hope to see you again.
Southern California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Customer service was top notch. Everyone was very friendly during our two-night stay. Eager to please. Was disappointed to get a room on the opposite corner of the lobby/pool area, especially when they had so many rooms available. And with the parking lot view. But I guess that's to be expected when you book via Priceline (we were given a choice of 4th floor or ground floor). Unlike other reviews I read, there was never any noise or sirens due to the proximity to the hospital. Beds were very comfortable. Room was clean. We were in 437. Since we had the top floor there was no noise from above either. I don't particularly care how big or small bathrooms are (I'm a man), but what did annoy me was the faucet being set back far from the sink and so the water dropped only an inch from the back of the sink, which always made washing hands awkward. A small thing, but that's all that I didn't like. Security gates surround the property but we found one to be without the locking mechanism in place when we came back to the hotel one night. Elevator was usually very fast, which was nice. Jacuzzi was large and always heated properly (hot but not too hot) and the pool was certainly heated enough. Jacuzzi constantly changes colors at night. Nice area in lobby to get coffee and snacks, or small breakfast or lunch. Table with large checkerboard and checkers. WiFi was excellent, never had a problem. I used it at the pool once (iPad) and in my room each day which as stated, was at far end of the hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Margaret R, General Manager at Sheraton Tucson Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
We are happy your enjoyed your stay and the services we offer such as the microwave in the room, restaurant food and music by the pool. Our engineer will be adjusting the time in which the lights come on in the evening, thank you for bringing this to our attention. We look forward to accommodating you again in the near future.
Gilbert, Arizona, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Best part about my stay here was the coffee in the room. The bathroom is ridiculously small and the walls or windows let in all the noise from the outside. It was a bit dirty, the carpet, chairs and couches were stained with dirt and the beds were not comfortable at all. The only redeeming quality to this hotel was the pool, hot tub and restaurant with fire pits. It was a nice to get away from the room. I did however like that our beds had white bedding... so I know they are clean! Our phone in the room didn't work and the tv was fuzzing and blurry. I am obviously going to be more unhappy about the hotel because my car was hit in the parking lot over night and the hotel staff was less than helpful in offering to check cameras to find out what happened so I will have to take away 1 star for that. Obviously they can't control the car that hit me but the parking lot is filled with cameras, the least they could do was look into it for me considering whoever hit my car was staying at the hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Margaret R, General Manager at Sheraton Tucson Hotel and Suites, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
We appreciate you letting us know about all of the inconveniences you encountered during your stay. Please accept our apologies for all of the inconveniences to include the dirty carpet, upholstery, telephone and television, in addition to the less than helpful staff. This is not the typical service and accommodations we provide, we stride to make sure all of our guests as satisfied and we fell short of our goal. I have met with all of our team members to review your comments and take appropriate action to ensure this does not happen in the future. Please let us know if we can be of service to you in the future, we welcome the opportunity to ensure your next visit is a great one.

Been to Sheraton Tucson Hotel and Suites? Share your experiences!