“Nice hotel. Some staff need work” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5655 W Valencia Rd, Tucson, AZ 85757   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #18 of 127 hotels in Tucson
tribune ks
“Nice hotel. Some staff need work”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Stayed here one night on way to Yuma. When making reservation specified a need for bathtub. Also asked for upper floor. Upon arriving at resort shortly after 6PM the valet was blocked with orange cones. Waited in car until attendant arrived and was told they were too busy so they closed valet. Stated was a guest of hotel and told to leave car & it would be gotten later. No offer of parking ticket. Finally got valet ticket. At ft desk given 2nd floor. Asked for higher floor told we got there too late for higher floor???No tub so back to desk. Manager moved us to suite no extra$. Players club staff VERY rude. Treated like didn't know anything. Mark Anthony bellman was wonderful. Nicest employee we encountered entire stay!! Suite nice. Thank you to manager for upgrade so could have tub. Charge $100 up front for incidentals goes back on card few days if not used. Food pricey casino smokey and hard to navigate. Location not close to anything. Hope staff gets better attitude. AM valet very welcomIng. Asked for recipt on check out and was refused. Said didn't need one??

• Stayed February 2013

291 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Ojai, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Stayed for 4 nights during the 2012 Tucson Mariachi Conference. Although a new venue for the TIMC, the Casin Del Sol did a great job accomadating hundreds of mariachi students, parents, performers and guests. The entire hotel is taken over by the conference the last week of April each year. Hotel staff genuinely seemed to enjoy this challenge! The hotel was new, so rooms were well appointed. Nice amenities, all requests were taken care of. Ample supply of bars that were well stocked by well trained expert mixer bartenders. (try the specailty tequila drinks). Request upper level floors with rooms that face the pool (even rooms?). Nearby amphitheatre is used for the 2 shows which makes this a true destination (no need to drive). On Saturday a pool party with Mariachi show and Marketplace. So for a true mariachi aficionado, a dream come true to have a casino, with nice hotel, mariachi music with non-stop partying - SIGN ME UP!

Room Tip: Upper level rooms that face the pool
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
MelindaGuestServMgr, Manager at Casino Del Sol Resort, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Thank you for your nice comments. We are all looking forward to the return of the Tucson International Mariachi Conference and all the wonderful students, performers and guests that make this group so fun. We will see you in April!
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Hotel rooms looked nice, but then it goes down hill from there. Bathroom - single sink up against shower making it really hard for 2 people to use at the same time. Pillows - what pillows. Those 6 white items on the bed were hard-rubber-things! I left a note for the maid asking if we could get softer pillows - we returned to our room - note was gone but those same THINGS were still there - no response to our request. The AC didn't seem to cool down the room - hard to sleep - period. Went to Lobby Lounge for Happy Hour. We sat at the bar and were asked what we'd like. Ordered a Martini but the lady said, "I'm not a bartender - we'll have to wait for the bartender - it shouldn't be long". They told this to several other people as well. Another lady behind the bar who was also not a bartender proceeded to try to make my martini. It was odd and awkward. Finally, another lady shows up who is supposedly the bartender. While she was shaking my martini, I mention that she didn't put vermouth in. She then asked it I would like sweet or dry vermouth. I was taken aback. It's always dry where I come from !!!! The Buffet was excellent - gotta say - one of the best as far as food quality and taste. LOVED PY Steakhouse (I'll give them a separate review). Didn't use the pool but it did look really nice. Casino was fine but constantly dirty between the machines - cups, papers, cigarette mess everywhere. Maybe more patrons fault then staff. For $160+ a night we could have stayed at the Bellagio in Vegas! We won't be going back.

Room Tip: Bring your own pillow!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
MelindaGuestServMgr, Manager at Casino Del Sol Resort, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Thank you so much for all of your feedback, good and bad. It was good to hear you enjoyed some of our restaurants. However, it was disappointing to hear we missed the mark in so many areas with you. Again, thank you for taking the time to write this review.
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We had a lovely Sky Level room, with a great view overlooking the pool area and the desert beyond. Gorgeous at sunset. Overall, the hotel offers great quality, service and upscale touches that you'd find in a much pricier resort hotel.

Part of the casino is designed with the indoor/outdoor villa feel like you find in Las Vegas, with a variety of restaurant options. One recommendation for those who like a nice glass of wine and a good deal on a casual meal, try the Lobby Bar at happy hour. For $5, you can choose from a number of items, including a Kobe beef burger with their signature fries. I ordered a seared ahi tuna appetizer while my husband opted for the burger, and both were excellent. Accompanied by a nice glass of Malbec, it was exactly what we wanted that day.

The free buffet that comes with joining the Player's Club was fine. I wouldn't normally choose a buffet, but there was a wide array of choices and if you like a buffet, I think this fits the bill. Apparently, the roast beef was good. The sushi I chose was good/average, but kept up to date in terms of freshness. Also, compliments to the great customer service and staff.

We took a trip down to Tombstone, which was fun if you like an old cowboy ghost town. We just wanted to see the site of the OK Corral shootout. There's not a whole lot there but I enjoyed our visit to Big Nose Kate's Saloon.

We stayed two nights at Casino del Sol and overall, it was great value for money. And just a two-hour drive from our winter getaway in Mesa.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the pool area.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. We were happy to hear you were able to utilize so many of our great restaurants and amenities. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Tucson, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Since the opening of Casino Del Sol Resort, I have stayed at least 10 times. At first, I was in complete ecstasy with the experience. Since my last review "Holy Moly", my experience has declined dramatically. So much, that I have not returned since my last stay.

There are many great things about the hotel/resort. I love the bars, restaurants, casino, and almost all of the staff, minus some members of the Front Desk staff and Hotel Management.

On my 3 last stays, I have been in full on arguments with the front desk staff. From disagreements about additional room keys, to being completely denied access to the pool because I lost a pool bracelet. The complete lack of respect I have experienced at Casino Del Sol from the Front Desk staff is amazing.

In the pool bracelet incident, we were told that due to rain the pool would not open for the remainder of the day. This was a Saturday and on Sunday, there would be an adults only event, so there was not any need for my children to keep their bracelets. We removed the bracelets and 2 hours later clouds clear and the pool is reopened.

We need bracelets to enter the pool so we head to the front desk. The lady at the front desk started yelling at my family and began calling us liars. By the time the ordeal was over, We had the security supervisor on our side and also being yelled at by the lady at the front desk. We never got our bracelets.

There is also the management: These guys cannot get it together. The hotel management is constantly changing. I was offered complimentary rooms by a manager. I called 2 weeks later to redeem the rooms and he was no longer employed by the Casino. All I was told was "so sorry."

And then there is Marketing. There is absolutely no communication between Marketing and the Hotel. Marketing decides to hold a special event at the pool. Tells nobody at the Hotel. Guess what: All hotel guests get evicted from the pool. This happens all the time and both Marketing and the Hotel point fingers at each other.

THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO ACCOUNTABILITY ANYWHERE IN THE CASINO DEL SOL. (THIS IS THE MAIN ISSUE WITH THIS RESORT.)

I really hope the Casino will "WOW" me once again. It is just sad that such a beautiful place, can make a guest feel so disrespected. I hate writing this review, but I must keep it real.

Note: I have had great experiences with many members of the Front Desk staff, especially the guy that works at night. He is awesome.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

The casino--not bad. The restaurants--pretty good. The hotel--HORRENDOUS. These morons have no idea what they are doing. The room they assigned me was way too hot, and I was not able to sleep. Youd think that in a hotel that's in the middle of the desert, they would stock a few fans like any other hotel would. Nope, not a one. Their solution, after a LOT of negotiating.... move me from my $109 room to a $225 suite, and charge me the $225 because their air conditioning is inadequate. I managed to get them to give me the $109 rate for one night, but they want to charge me the $225 for the other two nights Ill be here. So I basically have to move my stuff from one room to another for one night, then back to a standard room for my other two nights. I even offered a cheaper deal for them to comp me one standard room night, and they refused! They actually want to pay more money and inconvenience me than accept a solution that saves them money! All this because they cant be bothered to stock a few $6 box fans! NEVER NEVER stay here. These incompetent sad sacks are giving their tribe a bad name.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. While we regret being unable to provide you with a room that had a temperature lower than 68 degrees, we had hoped that the upgraded suite, at no extra charge to you, would have accommodated you for this inconvenience. Again, we want to thank you for your feedback.
South East Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

The place was beautiful upon driving up. I had to ask the valet where exactlly was the hotel entrance. When I found the lobby which was next to a bar, your already absorbing the smoke from the ajoined casino. Upon checking in I was told that my credit card would be charged more then the basic fee and will be credited back after check out. That left an uneasy feeling. After parking in the secure parking garge I had to enter my family through part of the casino and walk in front of the lobby to get to the elevator door to the rooms. So if you have kids they to will smell the smoke. Once upstairs however it is smoke free and clean. The rooms are an amazing site with clean sheets. The bath room is alltogether no separate tolite . We did find a couple of hairs on the restroom floor. The shower is nice and the beds are great . The price was more then the others around and the drive is 6 miles or so from hwy19.
Black Jack tables are plentyful , Video poker was not and almost all are triple or 5 play. The few single play ones I found were low payouts. Like the competitor's, alcholic drinks are NOT part of the free drinks given out to players ($6) and one tender charged double ($12), unlike in the state of LA.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
MelindaGuestServMgr, Manager at Casino Del Sol Resort, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Thank you for your informative review. I was pleased to read you found your room amazing, but disappointed you had trouble locating the lobby. All feedback is important, and we appreciate you taking the time to write this review.

Melinda J. Vollmer,
Guest Service Manager

Been to Casino Del Sol Resort? Share your experiences!