“Great property - good rates.” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #9 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Vancouver
“Great property - good rates.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We had a lovely Sky Level room, with a great view overlooking the pool area and the desert beyond. Gorgeous at sunset. Overall, the hotel offers great quality, service and upscale touches that you'd find in a much pricier resort hotel.

Part of the casino is designed with the indoor/outdoor villa feel like you find in Las Vegas, with a variety of restaurant options. One recommendation for those who like a nice glass of wine and a good deal on a casual meal, try the Lobby Bar at happy hour. For $5, you can choose from a number of items, including a Kobe beef burger with their signature fries. I ordered a seared ahi tuna appetizer while my husband opted for the burger, and both were excellent. Accompanied by a nice glass of Malbec, it was exactly what we wanted that day.

The free buffet that comes with joining the Player's Club was fine. I wouldn't normally choose a buffet, but there was a wide array of choices and if you like a buffet, I think this fits the bill. Apparently, the roast beef was good. The sushi I chose was good/average, but kept up to date in terms of freshness. Also, compliments to the great customer service and staff.

We took a trip down to Tombstone, which was fun if you like an old cowboy ghost town. We just wanted to see the site of the OK Corral shootout. There's not a whole lot there but I enjoyed our visit to Big Nose Kate's Saloon.

We stayed two nights at Casino del Sol and overall, it was great value for money. And just a two-hour drive from our winter getaway in Mesa.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the pool area.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
MelindaGuestServMgr, Manager at Casino Del Sol Resort, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. We were happy to hear you were able to utilize so many of our great restaurants and amenities. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Tucson, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Since the opening of Casino Del Sol Resort, I have stayed at least 10 times. At first, I was in complete ecstasy with the experience. Since my last review "Holy Moly", my experience has declined dramatically. So much, that I have not returned since my last stay.

There are many great things about the hotel/resort. I love the bars, restaurants, casino, and almost all of the staff, minus some members of the Front Desk staff and Hotel Management.

On my 3 last stays, I have been in full on arguments with the front desk staff. From disagreements about additional room keys, to being completely denied access to the pool because I lost a pool bracelet. The complete lack of respect I have experienced at Casino Del Sol from the Front Desk staff is amazing.

In the pool bracelet incident, we were told that due to rain the pool would not open for the remainder of the day. This was a Saturday and on Sunday, there would be an adults only event, so there was not any need for my children to keep their bracelets. We removed the bracelets and 2 hours later clouds clear and the pool is reopened.

We need bracelets to enter the pool so we head to the front desk. The lady at the front desk started yelling at my family and began calling us liars. By the time the ordeal was over, We had the security supervisor on our side and also being yelled at by the lady at the front desk. We never got our bracelets.

There is also the management: These guys cannot get it together. The hotel management is constantly changing. I was offered complimentary rooms by a manager. I called 2 weeks later to redeem the rooms and he was no longer employed by the Casino. All I was told was "so sorry."

And then there is Marketing. There is absolutely no communication between Marketing and the Hotel. Marketing decides to hold a special event at the pool. Tells nobody at the Hotel. Guess what: All hotel guests get evicted from the pool. This happens all the time and both Marketing and the Hotel point fingers at each other.

THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO ACCOUNTABILITY ANYWHERE IN THE CASINO DEL SOL. (THIS IS THE MAIN ISSUE WITH THIS RESORT.)

I really hope the Casino will "WOW" me once again. It is just sad that such a beautiful place, can make a guest feel so disrespected. I hate writing this review, but I must keep it real.

Note: I have had great experiences with many members of the Front Desk staff, especially the guy that works at night. He is awesome.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

The casino--not bad. The restaurants--pretty good. The hotel--HORRENDOUS. These morons have no idea what they are doing. The room they assigned me was way too hot, and I was not able to sleep. Youd think that in a hotel that's in the middle of the desert, they would stock a few fans like any other hotel would. Nope, not a one. Their solution, after a LOT of negotiating.... move me from my $109 room to a $225 suite, and charge me the $225 because their air conditioning is inadequate. I managed to get them to give me the $109 rate for one night, but they want to charge me the $225 for the other two nights Ill be here. So I basically have to move my stuff from one room to another for one night, then back to a standard room for my other two nights. I even offered a cheaper deal for them to comp me one standard room night, and they refused! They actually want to pay more money and inconvenience me than accept a solution that saves them money! All this because they cant be bothered to stock a few $6 box fans! NEVER NEVER stay here. These incompetent sad sacks are giving their tribe a bad name.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. While we regret being unable to provide you with a room that had a temperature lower than 68 degrees, we had hoped that the upgraded suite, at no extra charge to you, would have accommodated you for this inconvenience. Again, we want to thank you for your feedback.
South East Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

The place was beautiful upon driving up. I had to ask the valet where exactlly was the hotel entrance. When I found the lobby which was next to a bar, your already absorbing the smoke from the ajoined casino. Upon checking in I was told that my credit card would be charged more then the basic fee and will be credited back after check out. That left an uneasy feeling. After parking in the secure parking garge I had to enter my family through part of the casino and walk in front of the lobby to get to the elevator door to the rooms. So if you have kids they to will smell the smoke. Once upstairs however it is smoke free and clean. The rooms are an amazing site with clean sheets. The bath room is alltogether no separate tolite . We did find a couple of hairs on the restroom floor. The shower is nice and the beds are great . The price was more then the others around and the drive is 6 miles or so from hwy19.
Black Jack tables are plentyful , Video poker was not and almost all are triple or 5 play. The few single play ones I found were low payouts. Like the competitor's, alcholic drinks are NOT part of the free drinks given out to players ($6) and one tender charged double ($12), unlike in the state of LA.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
MelindaGuestServMgr, Manager at Casino Del Sol Resort, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Thank you for your informative review. I was pleased to read you found your room amazing, but disappointed you had trouble locating the lobby. All feedback is important, and we appreciate you taking the time to write this review.

Melinda J. Vollmer,
Guest Service Manager
Tucson, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Beautiful rooms and resort, they are also building a golf course which is almost done!
While there I used the spa and gym. I had a wonderful massage. The pool area
is clean and peaceful not to mention during the Thanksgiving week of November the weather
in Tucson is in the 80s!!

Room Tip: No matter what floor you are on, it is quiet and you will not hear casino noise at all.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
MelindaGuestServMgr, Guest Relations Manager at Casino Del Sol Resort, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Thank you for your wonderful compliments. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. We are very excited for the opening of the golf course and know it will only add to our guests’ experience here at Casino Del Sol. Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review.
Melinda Vollmer,
Guest Services Manager
Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

This is one of the most beautiful casino's I have ever been in and recently hubby and I decided to spend the night. The room was very pretty but the couch was hard as a rock and they had those killer pillows that you fight all night to flatten.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

My wife and I just spent one night here while attending a charity event and we thought the place was beautiful. It's new and clean with one of the best "standard rooms" we've ever stayed in. It was large with comfortable furniture, a great TV and a nice bathroom and shower. The bed was very comfortable although I couldn't stand the pillows but that''s just personal taste. We wouldn't normally stay at a casino except for the event but loved the interior archictecture and the staff we encountered were very nice and helpful and rightfully proud of their facility.
There is nothing inexpensive about the details and finishes in this facility. I regret we didn't have time to use the pool facility because it was as nice as any I've ever seen.
We didn't have an opportunity to try any of the restaurnts except for breakfast which was fine and reasonably priced.
Maybe I'm just too easy to please, but if somebody asked me to recommend a beautiful facility
in Tucson (and we have stayed at all of them) that offered large, comfortable, clean rooms and a knockout pool I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this spot based on my experience.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
MelindaGuestServMgr, General Manager at Casino Del Sol Resort, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Thank you so much for the wonderful comments. It is so nice to hear that we hit the mark in all areas. I would encourage you on your next stay to call the front desk and request a change of pillows, they have several types.
Again, thank you so much for taking the time to write such a great review.

Been to Casino Del Sol Resort? Share your experiences!