“Elkhorn-perfect place for great riding, peace & quiet!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Elkhorn Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tucson
Elkhorn Ranch
You added Elkhorn Ranch to your Saves list
27000 W Elkhorn Ranch Road, Tucson, AZ 85736   |
Ranked #1 of 34 Specialty Lodging in Tucson
Denver, Colorado
“Elkhorn-perfect place for great riding, peace & quiet!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

I've been to the Elkhorn 5 times, 2 w/ family & 3 alone. One of the few places that does not penalize singles. It is my "go to" spot for exceptional riding & total relaxation. Last March I chose to ride only in the mornings, to spare my back a little, and spent the afternoons reading and looking at the birds feeding at my casita. Read 5 books and 7 New Yorkers in the week! Heaven. Room decor is not by Ralph Lauren, thank goodness, but beds are very comfortable and the Pendleton blankets nice to curl up in. Food is American ranch style comfort food, lots of homemade cookies! Other guests have always been interesting with many coming back for many visits.
A great variety of terrain so you can choose to lope on the desert or a mountain ride on gentle or more precipitous trails. Horses are terrific.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Austin, Texas, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

I have been coming to the Elkhorn Ranch for many years now. My first experience was as a young child (in the 70's & 80's) where I learned how to ride horses, played kick the can, square danced, and gained a great appreciation for the Sonoran Desert. Now I have a child of my own and love returning on a yearly basis with him and my husband. It is refreshing to vacation at a place where you don't have to worry about cars & traffic, pulling out your wallet for every little thing, and can have quality time with others. Fresh air, dark starry nights, interesting nature, fun horseback riding, cozy cabins, super friendly staff, and pleasant guests whom become friends. The Elkhorn Ranch is a jewel of a place~ it is timeless, intimate, and relaxing. It seems to bring out the best in people. I cannot imagine what my life would be like without having those experiences and now I value it even more that I can share it with my son and husband.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Cape Cod, Ma.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2010

I celebrated a special birthday here in 2007 with friends and vowed I'd return every year, if possible, to recapture the experience. The joy of riding the beautiful mountains & desert on very well trained horses stayed with me long after I returned home.I now enjoy Elkhorn with my husband who was reluctant to try the "western ranch thing". We both look forward to seeing friends made in past years & riding, of course.
p.s. We are not group travelers & do not take tours. Elkhorn is a different experience.
I can't explain it---just try it.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2010

We had a wonderful time! Quite setting. Good food. No kids programs per say but the kids were independent and safe. There were "real cowboys" and loved every minute of it. Great staff and guests. What a great way to get away from the "real world". We loved it and would recommend it to anyone looking for a simple, quiet getway.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2010

This is a secluded ranch with mostly repeat visitors, some visitors have been coming for three generations. You will not find a desert ranch with better service, accommodations and riding. The staff caters to all types and levels of riders and the food is plentiful and hearty. The crew is professional and safety is foremost. The MIllers are gracious hosts and we plan on making our third trip to the ranch in April. We have ridden all over Montana, Wyoming, and Arizona and consider the Elkhorn the best value in the southwest.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2010

I started coming to Elkhorn in 1996 and have returned 12 times since. I will be there again next March for my 14th visit. When we first went, my daughters were 10 and 7. Now they are 24 and 21 and still want to return with us to Elkhorn every year. The main activity is horse back riding. The horses are very well trained and safety is always a concern of the staff. The scenery of desert and mountains is amazing. The staff is wonderful. Because the ranch accommodates a smaller number of guests, and at meals you sit at shared tables, you get to know everyone (many of whom also return year after year). We especially like no phones or televisions in the rooms. Elkhorn is not a fancy ranch, and that is why we love it!

• Stayed March 2010
Falmouth, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2010

I had not ridden a horse in over 50 years when I first went to Elkhorn in 2008. They chose the right horse for a city slicker and I had a great week. Never felt intimidated or afraid and rode on some pretty interesting trails. We now go back each year for at least a week. The accommodations are comfortable and the food is good. The Miller family does everything to see that you have a great experience.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Elkhorn Ranch? Share your experiences!