“Worst ever” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Barbecue
Tucson, Arizona
“Worst ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

I love bbq, sorry that this place is so bad. Owner hung around the table looking for a compliment, we were polite as he is a nice guy. Pork ribs tasted like they were micrwaved. I heard the bell go off on the microwave so something was heated that way. Bubbs in Catalina or Famous Daves are much much beter.

• Visited November 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Green Valley, Arizona
“Consistency Is What Makes The Difference”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2011

Mary and I had some business to take care of Northwest of Tucson today and timed our trip so we would be able to stop at Billy Bryant's for lunch on the way home.

This time, we both had the pulled pork sandwich.... Mary had Karen's fabulous potatoe salad and cole slaw while I had the baked beans and potatoe salad. This trip we met Steve and Karen's Daughter .... just as bubbly and friendly as Steve and Karen.....

The pulled pork was juicy without being sloppy .... each bite was flavorful and we both enjoyed the little crispy ( NOT burned ) pieces of pork mixed in. The pulled pork sandwich comes on a fresh bun .... and it is amazing how Steve can get so much pork in a single bun .... but he manages ....

Anyway ..... the reason we are writing a second review is that our meal was again outstanding..... we have been to many restaurants throughout America and have had great meals .... but way too many times, when we returned again we left disappointed. We expected a second great meal only to get something far less than we received on our first visit.

Today, we experienced one of the rare characteristics of a restaurant that makes it a GREAT place to return to...... CONSISTENCY !

For outstanding service and delicious meals, count on Billy Bryant's to be the same EVERY time you visit ....

Oh ...... There was one thing that was different .... Steve was sitting at a different table on this visit . . . :-)

• Visited May 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Green Valley, Arizona
“Make Billy Bryant's a Destination.... it will definately be worth the time !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2011

Newly retired and living in the desert south of Tucson, my wife and I were searching for a source of an excellent BBQ restaurant. Having tried a few in the southern Arizona area, we found very little that was worth going back to.... tough ribs that I had to rip off the bone, flavorless brisket, off the shelf BBQ sauce and what tasted like salt and pepper dry rubs.
Doing another Internet search, Billy Bryant's came up in an area we happened to be going to in search of cactus for our landscape project. We decided to give them a try.
Following the GPS, it put us in a strip mall ... and there in sort of a little corner was Billy Bryant's ..... three or four outside tables with red and white checkered table cloths .... and an Open sign in the window.
Opening the door and going inside, I was met by a big fellow sitting at a table dressed in black. He asked if he could help us ..... I replied that I was curious to see if his food was as good as the Google and Trip Advisor reviews. He smiled and introduced himself as Steve, the owner. His wife, Karen, brought silverware and took our drink order as we read the menu at an outside table.
I ordered the full rack of ribs .... and we laughed together when he said the BBQ Sauce would be 'on the side'..... precisely how ribs SHOULD be served ..... only with the dry rub, NEVER soaked in sauce.
For sides, I asked for the baked beans and Karen's home made potato salad and an order of 5/8" onion rings.
Mary ordered the pulled pork sandwich with coleslaw and Karen's potato salad.
Our food came quickly ..... we both laughed as we took our first bite . . . . . Mary loved the pulled pork and the potato salad ..... and the coleslaw had and excellent flavor.
My ribs were the most flavorful fall off the bone tender ribs I have had since Memphis about 4 years ago. The dry rub was perfect ! There was a squirt bottle of BBQ sauce on the table, and out of curiosity, I did try some .... definitely not from the local grocery store ... and like the ribs, an excellent flavor .... not burn your tongue hot .... just perfect.
The beans ...... the best baked beans I have had ( other than Mary's Cowboy Beans that is ;-) ..... not dry, not too spicy .... not full of onions ... and not Campbell's right from the can.
Karen sure knows how to make potato salad too . . . . Mary said it was just like her Mom made ..... that means it was also perfect ..... great flavor, the potatoes were cooked to perfection.... excellent flavor !
Oh .... the onion rings too ..... again, not over done, not under cooked.
Steve and Karen sure know how to put a BBQ meal together ....
The bottom line ..... do not be fooled by the strip mall location .... make it a destination... You will definitely have on of the best BBQ meals of your lifetime .....
Our search for an outstanding BBQ restaurant in southern Arizona is over ..... Steve and Karen's Billy Bryant's all we could ask for.

• Visited March 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Tucson, Arizona
“amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2010

Great service down home cookin and just a pleasure to have a great bbq joint to go to.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Tucson
“It's BBQrific”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2010

A few weeks back a friend and I, looking for a new place for lunch, stumbled upon Billy Bryant's BBQ. Upon arriving I had a DajaVu moment as I realized that I had been there before. But I was in the BBQ mode so it didn't matter. Their special for the day was a Burnt End of Brisket Sandwich. We both ordered the special, less the bun, and chowed. Being one that likes his food on the 'moo' side, the meat was a little too cooked for me, but it was none-the-less a great tasting BBQ Sandwich and I certainly didn't have any problem eating every bit. We also learned that on Friday nights they serve, Smoked Prime Rib. Now that, we both decided had to try. So after a few Fridays had gone by, we finally were both ready and able so we drug our wives up to Billys. Of course, we both ordered the Smoked Prime Rib while the ladies ordered the pulled pork and Burnt End Brisket sandwich. Sadly, I had to help my wife finish hers as it was just too big and loaded with meat for her. Now, without hesitating I ordered my meat "moo" and that is what I got and it was dead on. Tender as all get-up and simply melted in my mouth. The Hickory Smoke flavor was simply the icing on the cake. I could have chowed another whole meal if my 'caring' wife wasn't there to stop me. This was the first time ever having smoked prime and it won't be the last. We topped the meal off with some of their homemade apple and pumpkin pie. Rumor has it they make smoked prime rib sandwiches with the unused beef. I might just have to sneak out and give it a try. On top of that the service was so down home and personal we didn't want to leave. I found my BBQ Heaven in Tucson. I have been back countless times and recently tried their smoked chicken and all I have to say is bbqriffic.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere