“Who knew your could get such great Greek food in Tucson” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #12 of 1,681 Restaurants in Tucson
Cuisines: Greek, Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Description: Join us for a great meal as Chef David d'Auteuil creates your dish from real food. Where else in Tucson can you get tender delicious Octopus? Fall off the bone Lamb Shanks? Sign up for our FishGram!! Need catering? Call us!
Tucson, Arizona
“Who knew your could get such great Greek food in Tucson”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

This place, again like many good finds, is a little hole-in-the-wall in a strip mall at 15920 North Oracle Rd, Catalina (N of Tucson) AZ www.itsgreektomeaz.com [--]. (across from McDonalds, in the Golden Goose Mall, near the back, small blue sign up high could easily be overlooked)

The food hear has been raved about by my partners co-workers so we were in the area ... Food and service on the first visit was amazingly good ... I'd say this was the best meal I've had since moving to Tucson a few months ago in any kind of cuisine.

We have (and loved) the Avgolemono Soup ... which was served with extra lemon sections to squeeze into it as well of course plenty of black pepper on the table. We were hungry and this was the main meal for today so we had an appetizer of house-made eggplant spread with fresh hot pita bread. Excellent!!! Then came the Spanakopita of fresh baby spinach sauteed with herbs, evoo and Feta baked in layers of filo and served with a Greek Salad .... both were excellent .. full of great flavor.

If you want to go at the dinner hour Friday or Saturday consider making a reservation ... not absolutely critical, but a good idea! The waitress handled the the whole dining room well, both taking orders, delivering plates and bussing tables too. She was totally knowledgeable about the menu, specials etc. was friendly and particularly helpful to some people near by who had no idea what anything was. We are considering how to eat here at least once a week!!!

• Visited February 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

New Albany, Ohio
“Better than we had in Greece.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012 via mobile

We discovered It's Greek to Me in 2011 while visiting Tucson. We have eaten there twice in 2012 since revisiting Tucson. The food, service and staff remain outstanding. My wife and I independently traveled in Greece in September, 2011, for two weeks visiting Crete (Chania), Fira
(Santorini), Naxos and Athens. The food at "it's Greek to Me" is superior to that we had in Greece. We have always been treated warmly and like family.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Milwaukee
“Great Food - But Be Careful!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

We brought our own alchohol, since this used to be a BYOB restaurant. Lo and behold, they now have a liquor license. The owner said we could NOT drink the beer we brought, but to "make it right", he did offer two beers "on the house". Then he proceeded to take one of our expensive 24 ounce beers [large bottle] for himself. WHAT?? Beers on the house, but then takes one of ours? Not very classy. Nevertheless, the food was very good. But "stealing" of one of our favorite expensive bottles of beer was hardly befitting of good behavior and customer service protocol.

• Visited January 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Tucson AZ
“I hope it was an off night!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

Four of us for dinner on a quiet Wednesday. Everything was 'meh' at best.

Our waitperson was straight out of an amateur show, the food was ordinary and the presentation poor. I had two glasses of Retsina, each from a different brand with no explanation (and the pour sizes were different too). The Greek salad had not flavor at all, the entrées were underwhelming too.

Oh, and the night was dark but their outside sign was off - perhaps a hint to us of things to come.

I hope that other nights offer a better experience, we don't need to return.

• Visited December 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Worst Food and Experience-Like a Twilight Zone~”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

We went on a friends recommendation. Well-we drive 40 minutes to get there since we love greek food and we have greek family. We figured we would give it a go since Tucson's Greek food has MUCH to be desired to the REAL thing! This is the SHORT version of my story...
We get there after I tell the lady I had a reservation and she seats us. For 20 minutes not one person came over to us-they looked at us, but just kept passing our table. Finally I said something and this terrible waiter came to help-who could not articulate his words-plus he was whispering when he spoke. I ordered a glass of wine and he tells me he does not have the one on the menu, so I tell him just bring me any Riesling and he comes out to tell's me they don't have that either-so I take whatever I can get since I need a drink by now! Then we ordered Calamari and stuffed grape leave appetizers. The calamari was SO fishy and chewy. The grape leaves just ok. While we are eating the appetizers they bring out the main dish. We tell them we just got our appetizers so bring the main dish back after we are done. The girl give s us a dirty look and walks away. Then 2 minutes go by and our waiter comes back with the same dishes and said you ordered these didn't you? So at this point we needed to eat to get out of there.We took our main courses. I had lamb shank, tier signature dish.It was just okay-Nothing special. My husband had lamb chops and they were very gamey. The dishes were served with these horrible green beans that were mushy and in a sauce the chef used on EVERYTHING. All I have to say is STAY AWAY from this place.People in Catalina /Tucson have no idea what greek food should taste like. It definitely does not taste like what we had. Plus they are all weird and not friendly either.

• Visited June 2011