“Perfect BBQ sandwich.” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Barbecue
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Perfect BBQ sandwich.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

Can't believe the number of people complaining about the ribs. Ribs aren't really BBQ - they just have BBQ sauce on them. That's like going to a Mexican restaurant and complaining about their burgers. The actual BBQ at R and R is some of the best we've ever tasted. And we're from North Carolina, so we know BBQ.

Visited September 2011

Tucson
“Wonder if the food is OK”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2011

Tonight we visited R&R on Houghton for the first time. The restaurant was fairly barren and you order at the counter. We arrived at around 6:45 PM. The menus were a bit confusing and prices seemed a bit high for this type of service. Finally we both decided on the ribs and more dinner. This adds a meat side and two sides to a half a rack of ribs for $17.99. Side selection is limited but corn on the cob and beans sounded pretty good.
When I started to order the clerk said "we are our of corn". Ok fine. I then tried to order the beans and the cook let us know they were also out of beans. That left cole slaw and potato salad to choose from. For self service and no sides for $17.99 we decided it was time to leave. It was a major disappointment considering how good it smelled. We will try the other store later this week.

• Visited April 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
LA, CA
“AMAZING”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2010

To the angry reviewer from KC:
"I beg you, I emplore you, I beseetch you; consider the posibility that you might be wrong."
I too have eaten my fare share of BBQ (America's only real contribution to global cuisine) and the best thing about R&R is that it is different. It is not KC, Carolina, St Louis, or Texas. It is original and Tucsonian in a town that will never by synonomous with bbq (no, I am not from Tucson). The ribs at R&R are certainly not boiled, they are smoked; smoked with moisture and hickory to keep the meat tender. R&R only uses 4 spices on their meat. Why only 4 you may ask? That is because Robert Ramos wants you to taste the meat.

As for bbq sauce. A real afficianado knows that bbq sauce is mostly tomato paste and while Robert's sauce at room temperature could be confused with a store bought brand by an individual with more limited bbq experience; when served hot the result is a simple, sublime sauce that delivers increasing heat and (once again) enhances, not hide the natural taste of the meat.

Dear friend, please expand your horizons, open your mind, try some bbq from another region and remeber when it comes to real, good bbq. It is all about the meat.

Timb.

Huntsville, Alabama
“Terrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2010

The WORST bbq I've ever eaten. The ribs appeared to have been boiled and the brisket had almost no taste. Being from KC, and having eaten bbq in many other places, I know what bbq is supposed to taste like. This isn't it. I'm not sure they have any idea how to even prepare bbq. I doubt they even have a smoker, or at least know how to use it. I would bet they just went to Sam's or Costco and bought pre-cooked brisket, heated it up and threw it on a plate. Unbelievably bad. The ribs were equally disgusting. The sauce tasted exactly like KC Masterpiece, which isn't the worst in the world, but they tell you that it is their own sauce. The sides were right out of a wholesale club as well. The beans were watery and bland, and I've eaten better potato salad and cole slaw in a cafeteria. Don't waste your money on this place. I can't even give a good review for the service. It was as if we were bothering the folks that worked there. I'll never go back, that's for sure.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Franklin, Tennessee
“Real BBQ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2010

Between the four of us we had the Chicken, pork and beef brisket. All were great! You don't need sauce on the meat as it is cooked very well and has a great smokey flavor. But once you taste the sause, you'll want it. Very Tasty.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere