“Ecology Jeep Tour in Tucson” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #10 of 26 Tours & Activities in Tucson
New Rochelle
5 attraction reviews
“Ecology Jeep Tour in Tucson”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

My friend and I were picked up at our hotel by our tour guide, Kurt, dressed in full cowboy regalia including a revolver in his holster. After making introductions, he drove us about 45 minutes to a trail in the desert. This man was a walking wikipedia, and I mean that in a kind way. He had a sense of humor and taught us so much about our surroundings, including the identity of each plant as well as its medicinal uses. He knew his history as well, and he must have done a great job as I found myself contributing tidbits to the conversation about the desert at our cocktail party that evening. The ride was kind of bumpy, but not in the "Pink Jeep" way - just bumpy. But that's the price to seeing the beautiful Sonoran Desert. I highly recommend this tour.

Visited March 2014

Michigan Center, Michigan
15 attraction reviews
“Sonoran Desert Adventure and More”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

We were picked up at our hotel by our tour guide, Bob. After making us omfortable in the jeep we were wisked into the desert. He taught us so much. We learned about the cacti, ate the fruit of the cacti, and saw some wildlife. A the end of the trip we were introduced to a stow-away passenger in our jeep ... what a treat! My only recommendation would be to do it again at sunset!!!!

Visited February 2014
Iowa City, Iowa
“Enjoyable natural history learning experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

Our family of two adults and two teens was picked up at our hotel and driven about 40 minutes to a private ranch for our jeep tour on the southeast side of Tucson. Our guide, Kurt, was very knowledgable and showed us all the desert plants. We tasted samples of various edible cacti that he'd brought along. We were shown ancient petroglyphys and all handled his tarantula. Kurt was dressed as a cowboy with a real six-shooter and bullets on his belt. After this trip, we decided to forego the trip to the Desert Museum, since we'd learned a lot from Kurt. So if you want a cheaper way to learn about natural history, you might consider the museum. The ride was bumpy enough to make it interesting, but not enough for motion sickness.

Visited December 2013
Orlando
5 attraction reviews
“Look at the desert from a whole different perspective”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Having visited the Tucson area many times, and having hiked tens of miles through the desert and the mountains, I thought I knew enough about the Sonoran Desert flora to get by. Boy was I wrong. Our guide, Bob C., was fantastic! I already knew the names of most of the plants that he showed us, but I had no idea the extent to which the native people have historically used those plants. We learned all about which cacti were edible, which plants could be used for medicine, which should be avoided, tools to remove cholla from your clothes (a hair comb!), how to burn the needles off a cholla to eat it, the list goes on! There were seven of us, including 3 kids under 10, and Bob was able to tailor his stories and make them interesting and entertaining for all of us.

You can see the majority of the plants Bob pointed out on any hike in the area, or even on the streets of town, and you can see them in a guide book, but you won't get to hear Bob's stories and anecdotes any other place. He was a cross between a botanist, a biologist and a cowboy poet...fascinating.

Don't pass up a chance to take this jeep tour!

Visited March 2013
Palm Harbor, Florida
10 attraction reviews
“Great desert trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

This jeep tour and scavenger hunt was truly a fascinating day. George was out guide and was so knowledgable. He took us for a ride we won't soon forget. Even though the trip was a little rough at times we were laughing and having a great time. During the tour we went for lunch that was set up in the desert and were trated to some good barbecue. I would highly recommend this company for your desrt tours.

Visited April 2012