“Truly Excellent” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Maynards Market & Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #128 of 1,702 Restaurants in Tucson
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 4th Avenue and Broadway Blvd.
Description: Instantly transporting yet comfortably familiar, imagination and authenticity meld into a home-style haute cuisine. Maynards Kitchen, described in the New York Times as "dark and handsome", and voted "Best Romantic Setting" by Tucson Weekly, will consistently delight you with wonderful food & wine, its hip, spirited bar, and evocative, elegant atmosphere. Downtown Tucson’s Historic East End is both a destination and a hub for those seeking the heart of urban Tucson. Maynards Market & Kitchen have established the first downtown market, and paired it with a charismatic restaurant and bar. Both are fueled by a passion for celebrating the best of place, product and service. Maynards Market is proud to stock locally-sourced products, and boasts downtown Tucson's best wine store. With a large community table, outdoor seating on the spacious plaza, and free WiFi, Maynards Market is the perfect place to explore or relax with a latte, pastry, and your favorite read.
Tucson, Arizona
“Truly Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

A ton of restaurants have opened recently downtown, and while most are high end in price and menu, I've been sort of disappointed with the quality of the food. Maynards is totally an exception. Great ambience, with a retro 40s feel and fun people watching due to its proximity to the train station, and attentive service. But the food was fantastic. Everyone at my table raved. Several people had the steak, and it was a huge portion of high quality well-cooked meat. I had two appetizers for my meal. The mussels were delicious, and the dish was entree sized. And the poutine (fries with duck confit, Brie, foie gras) were insanely decadent. Dessert was also great, though not quite as special as the meal. Next time I'm taking my boyfriend here (it's sort of a romantic place) instead of my work team!

Visited July 2013

Boulder, Colorado
“good business dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Had a recent business dinner for 6 at Maynard's. The restaurant was selected by someone else and, based on the reviews, I was a little unsure what to expect. But the service was fine (we ate a bit later and during the week so the restaurant was winding down) and everyone enjoyed their food.

I wanted to eat a bit lighter so I had the foie (OK, maybe smaller is a better word than "lighter") and a salad, both of which were quite good. And we were able to find a couple reasonable and interesting bottles from the wine list. One thing to note is that the menu could be a bit of a challenge for less adventuresome eaters. For instance, 4 of the 7 starters currently listed are mussels, oysters, steak tartare and foie gras ... all things that quite a few people might not eat.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Phoenix, AZ
“Great place to have breakfast, lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

It's across the street from the Hotel Congress and they serve great coffee drinks, and it has a market that sells a lot of items. Lots of stuff from the Tucson area. Highly recommend.

Visited May 2013
Tucson
“Cute market with an even better restaurant next door.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

Maynard's is one of my favorite restaurants in Tucson. All the dishes are gourmet, fresh and delicious. Very nice ambiance and also offers outdoor dining. Highly recommend it.

Visited August 2012
Chicago
“Fabulous Atmosphere, Not so Fabulous Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

Dined here with some friends after a great hiking weekend through Saguaro National Park. Looked up some restaurants and took some local's advice and decided on this place. We made reservations the day of and had no problem getting our first choice time slot. The restaurant shares the valet with about 4 other places but there was no wait at all which was convenient. The restaurant is located in an old train depot from the 40's which added a bit of historic flare to the dining experience.

The interior is decorated fabulously and looks very posh. The hostess was extremely sweet and could not have been more pleasant. We sat indoors rather than on the patio just to enjoy the interior aesthetics and decor. We did not notice too many people in the restaurant when we arrived and the place stayed quite quiet as the night went on, which was kind of shocking for a weekend evening. We ordered the Poutine, which was out of this world delicious and a bottle of wine that was spectacular. The Server did not really recommend any wines to be paired with our salads and first course. From this moment, we noticed our server was going to be boarder line awful. He had two, three tables tops, from what we noticed and none of his tables seemed to be enjoying his services. We heard multiple "he's the worst server ever!"comments coming from the table behind us, which was alarming.

As the night went on we received our Endives and Butter Lettuce Salad which both were great. My friend tried to get our server to lighten up a little by attempting to use humor, to no avail, it did not work. Our main courses arrived and our wine glasses were not filled up, which is highly annoying. I had to make mention that we were all empty and could use a pour. Being foodies from Chicago we certainly like to eat, our group got multiple options. Our sides included Organic Mushrooms from Oregon and Brussels Sprouts with House made Bacon which paired well with the Bouillabaisse Supreme, and Filet. My filet was not cooked to my specifications but was prepared so well with all of the glazes and accouterments it was delicious. Dessert was a tasty and refreshing Salted Carmel ice cream.

All in all, the place was fabulous. Its just sad that our waiter was such a dud, considering how full of life all the other staff was that evening. I would highly recommend this place, I did enjoy my dining experience but it could have been basically perfect with a different server.

• Visited May 2013