“The last resort” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #110 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
San Francisco
“The last resort”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

I go to Tucson every year for the Gem & Mineral Show in Feb. Things get sold out and are very expensive at that time of year. The year before I got a great deal through one of those on line and won't give the name places, hoping to get a better deal again I used them for this year. Unfortunately I knew what I got when the name was given and knew it 's not too nice or in in a good location. I went to the Econo Lodge web site and found it was cheaper to get the hotel directly from them. Going further I put in for a AAA discount and found I could have saved a little over $100 for my 7 night stay. I went back to the website I purchased the hotel room from and they'd only give me a couple bucks back for the base rate (not even the full amount of what I'd have saved) and forget the AAA discount. So this wasn't a bargain. And maybe my beef should be with the website I bought this from.

So I'm already in a bad mood about staying at this place and it lives up to my expectations of being a cheap motel. Breakfast was a donut and coffee and they tended to clean up before 9am so if you weren't there by 9 you got nothing. I asked to be put on the ground floor (I was a few days early for the shows and they had plenty of room) and was put on the 3rd floor. I had to carry literally 100's of lbs. of rocks, beads, etc. up and down the stairs. The rooms were clean but no updating for years (maybe the walls were painted). It had a very depressing cheap feel to the room.

Room Tip: Don't stop here.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

On the plus side, the front staff were very nice and helpful in giving restaurant recommendations and driving directions. In addition, this is located downtown yet you would still need to drive, take the bus, or cab it to Congress St. or 4th Ave where the majority of dining and entertainment establishments are located, unless you're prepared for a hefty hike. The bed was comfortable and the TV with HBO worked fine.

Now to the downside of which there are many: The floor is carpeted but you could feel obvious depressions and some parts felt like I was stepping on paper mâché. The furniture is just about the cheapest possible along with the customary scratches and one chair had stains which looked like charcoal. There is no alarm clock. The fridge looked clean but smelled stale and had an annoying buzz. Lime with mildew coats the shower door and shower head and the stall is pretty small. The room is dimly lit and the back rooms have a view of trashy backyard. The parking spaces are narrow, so everyone has to be careful opening their doors. The free breakfast is worthless.

I paid $76+tax because it was The Gem and Mineral Show weekend which is one of Tucson's busiest events, but I would not pay any more than the forty odd dollar another reviewer here did. I saw plenty of budget motels in the general area that I cannot seem to find on the internet, so I would consider going to those imagining they can't fare worse than this one that is in desperate need of renovation.

• Stayed February 2012
Fort Mcmurray
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

The motel on a whole is very average, but then we paid just $41/night to stay there. Skip the meager continental breakfast. The bed was average (not stable to the floor), the air conditioning worked fine, though it was loud. About what you would expect from a budget motel. Centrally located near the University.

Room Tip: Rooms on one side have no window out onto the parkinglot - stick to the other side.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Colorado Springs
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2010

My daughter and I stayed here on the last night of our vacation in Tucson. It was very clean, quiet and the price was right, 86.30 for the two of us including taxes. It is conveniently located near the University. Morning coffee was a little on the weak side, but everything else about the place was great.

• Stayed March 2010
Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2009

It was a disappointing surprise.
Front Desk: attended by 2 young men, who were speaking a dialect while I was waiting. No eye contact during any of our interactions.

ROOM: cold, with the very bare necessities. Heater was inefficient but noisy, gloomy. Outside was 30' F. Asked for extra blankets. those in the room were very thin and smelly. " We run out of blankets." The motel had very few passengers by 9:30 PM.
"Could you please take them out of an empty room, even if the blanket was smaller than the bed." "Come, I'll show you the house keeping room." "I'd rather stay in the room, but I'll go." " See is empty."
I was getting nowhere, but cold, and they were not interested in helping me. I asked politely for their supervisor. "We already spoke with him and told us " no more blankets."
We called CHOICE HOTELS, who had made our reservations and promised "100% satisfaction guarantee or the room or I do not pay for the room." Their supervisor repeated the same statements as the two employees, and increased my demoralized spirit by adding "I cannot move you to another hotel because you have been there a few more minutes more than the 10' authorized by the hotel!!
I called another supervisor of CHOICE HOTELS, and 5' after his call, the 2 employees decided to cooperate and bring 2 blankets.
They threw them inside the room without any explanation, apology, or eye contact.

BREAKFAST: no special area. Is in the small reception area where you talk to the front desk staff. No chairs, except an old coach that seats 2 people. The food consisted of cold cereal and old ,greasy pastries. Coffee: burned. The morning attendant at the front desk, could only shrug his shoulders.

I run, faster than the wind, towards the closest coffee shop to get a reasonable breakfast (which turned out to be good).

• Liked — Unsure
  • Disliked — Customer service
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Los Angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2008

04/01/2008 - This hotel was not fit to occupy. We tried to leave when we saw the condition of the room but were told we reserved the room, we pay for the room. (There is an expectation that the room is acceptable.) We canceled the second night upon arrival and were informed that they would do us a favor and let the second night charge slide. The towels in the bathroom looked as if they had been used by the last guest and never cleaned. There was hair in the bed and one pillow case was soiled. The cushion of at least one chair was so dirty we hated to have to use it. I requested a clock from the desk clerk, but never received it. The condition of the bath tub was simply deplorable. It appeared that someone tried to refinish the bathtub using a paint-on material. Unfortunately it didn't work as it was pealing away all around the drain. (This was disturbing as I wondered what type of bacteria could be growing under the peeling.) The shower head was rusted as was the overflow drain cover. We found on the floor two pieces sausage for some prior guests' pizza, a pony tail holder, a box of cigarettes, and a bottle cap. It took two of us to lock the window. A locked window is needed for protection against the sleazy neighborhood.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Room not fit to occupy - Area sleazy -
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Econo Lodge University / Downtown? Share your experiences!