“Great Place to Stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #73 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
Escondido, California
“Great Place to Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

The room was clean and in great shape! Matt at the front desk was a welcome smiling face after driviing 10 hours! He actually called the room shortly after check-in to make sure that we were comfortable and happy. We all slept really well and really appreciated the great concern for our comfort! Breakfast was outstanding and plentiful! Thanks, Matt!

Room Tip: We were on the top floor facing the street, but it was totally quiet and peaceful!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
comfortsuitesairport, Manager at Comfort Suites Airport, responded to this review, August 31, 2014
We thank you for your stay and kind compliments. We strive to provide 100 percent satisfactions to all our guest. We look forward to hosting you again. Thanks you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Chandler, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

Typically the Comfort Suites is the upper end on the choice hotels group. I have stayed here several times in the past. Probably won't do it again. It has really taken a turn for the worse. Nothing bothers me more than finding other peoples trash in my room, mold in the bathroom and shower, and a place where the floors are not vacuumed especially along the walls. Thick white dust along the baseboards. The pillows were crappy as were the towels. Choice Hotels has really been going downhill the past few years. For seven years I was always at the highest level or rewards but lately I have been using a different chain. This hotel is sure to be downgraded if they don't improve the conditions.

Room Tip: Look for something better unless money is your only motivating factor.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
We thank you for your stay and comments. We strive to provide 100 percent satisfactions to all our guest. We are renovating the hotel with all new furniture, carpet, walls and everything else. We have completed two floors and would finish all floor in next few days. Please ask for renovated rooms next time you are visiting us. We look forward to hosting you again. We wil incoroporate your feed back to our quality assurance mannual for staff training. Thanks you.
Sierra Vista, AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Flying often out of Tucson, but living over an hour away, spending the night before departure here is perfect. Rooms are always clean and well equipped. Breakfast is full and a box meal is available for super early departures if you request it the night before. Quick shuttle service to the airport gets you there relaxed with plenty of time for security or check-in. Rates are always reasonable and cars can be left for $2 a day....half the price of the off site lots.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
We thank you for your stay and kind compliments. We strive to provide 100 percent satisfactions to all our guest. We look forward to hosting you again. We wil incoroporate your feed back to our quality assurance mannual for staff training. Thanks you.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

This location is safe & clean & quiet. Staff were friendly and helpful. It appears that the laundry is done onsite and some of the bed linens and towels are getting grey but otherwise it is clean. We had 2 rooms: one for 2nights & one for 3 nights. They thoughtfully put us next door to each other without us even having to ask, and we were able to check in both rooms at the same time. Breakfast was adequate and they worked hard to keep up with the crowd. Coffee was available all day & night!

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Kayenta, Arizona, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

This hotel is cheap. People who book cheap hotels don't care about the frills. I don't care about the frills. If my wife and daughter hadn't have been with me then my old camping buddy Mike and I would've stayed in the National Park on the ground. I'd have rather stayed on the ground in rattlesnake country than here. It is the worst hotel in the long strip of hotels near the airport, without question.

Aside from the knit picky things, here is the reason you need to avoid this place.

My wife made a reservation through hotels.com, as it turns out that means that it isn't a true reservation, but is in fact a "paid reservation". This was a problem (we found out later) because we reserved and paid for my buddy Mike's room even though he gave them his credit card and asked to be charged for the room.

We stayed two nights. During the day after our first nights visit, my buddies iphone went missing. After tearing apart, as it turns out, a filthy room to find it we still had no luck. Later that night he checked an app that showed his phone about ten blocks away in a rough neighborhood. We talked to the desk, which was worthless. They gave us the number for the owner, Raj Patel, who is even more worthless. We call the police (from my phone as his is stolen) and they tell us that they can meet us at the address and attempt to recover the phone.

We go to said address. No answer at the door, surprise surprise. Then Raj calls me and says that he looked at the personnel files and he believes the thief just showed up for work. Back to the hotel. We call a separate police officer, for jurisdiction reasons, who takes a little over an hour to meet us and interrogate the suspected thief. We wait. We've already checked out so we wait in the breakfast lounge. Raj calls again, asks if we'll wait outside so as to not make a scene in his hotel. For whatever reason, we do. We wait on the curb of a crap hotel.

Finally, the cop comes out and says we have gotten an admission of guilt. We'll go to the house and try to recover the phone. They do after 45 more minutes or so. They forgot the case and other things so they go back and have us meet them around the corner from the house again.

Now, Mike did get his phone back. He did get the case back. He and I wasted the last day of our vacation chasing Raj's scummy employees through the slums of Southern Tuscon and sitting in his smelly breakfast nook. (By the way, this breakfast is worse than any you've ever had. Unless of course, you like under microwaved sausage patties very plain stale breads and super pulpy orange juice.)

Raj apologized and said everything and nothing if you know what I mean. He's full of it. Completely full of it. He talks over you and about anything but taking accountability. He eventually, and begrudgingly offered up the ole' "anything I can do to help I will." He suggested that he'd discount the rooms. Here's where it gets worse. I come home to find out that I got charged for both suites for both nights and Mike didn't get charged. I called the hotel and they can't do anything. I called hotels.com and they can't do anything. I called Raj and he was extremely insulting.

He said to me, "Mike is the victim, not you! I don't owe you anything." (which is actually true) He then actually said to me " Okay, you're a smart guy if I don't have your credit card info how could I refund you the money, smart guy." I think he thought he had me stumped, but I said "I am a smart guy Raj, here's a simple solution write me a check and I'll give you my address right now" He declined.

AVOID this place, it isn't worth $20 of savings to be next door I guarantee.

Also, the breakfast is a nightmare and the carpets are filthy. With a one year old daughter I can confidently say the carpets are filthy!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
comfortsuitesairport, Manager at Comfort Suites Airport, responded to this review, May 24, 2014
Mike expressed many thanks for our expeditious assistance and efforts. He understood very clearly that since he was the victim and reservation was made through third party like hotel.com, in which case they guest is paying regular room rate but hotel is given less money (after the commission is charged, which could be as high as 25%). Hotel never received guest credit card but get virtual card from hotel.com. We can never refund money to the "virtual card". It is for one time use only. We tried to explain NICK (who was not the guest who was involved) that hotel.com never gave us his credit card information but a virtual card. We would have gladly given him the refund for Mike's room if we had his credit card on file. Also, we provided all the assistance to get as much help as was humanly possible. There are bad people in world and unfortunately everyone is innocent in America until found guilty. We apologized for unfortunate event. Nick was very happy with all the services until we told his that because of his reservation through hotel.com, we are not able to refund the money since his credit card was never given to us. It is like, he bought the hotel room from hotel.com and hotel.com bought room for us to rent it to NICK.

I wish he had made reservation either directly with us or through choicehotels.com in which case it would be very simple to refund the money. This hotel is running at almost 90 percent occupancy for last five months with number one position in its group of competitors. We have rented over 10,000 rooms in last five months. Few individual experiences can not defined the hotel service when over 99 percent who are extremely satisfied with our great service and price.

thanks

Thanks
New Braunfels, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

This hotel is close to Tucson International Airport, but you would never know it.

It is super quiet.

I am amazed that the price is so low for such a nice hotel.

The room was comfortable, and large, including a comfortable bed.

After a day on the road from Nevada, it was a good stop.

It is not on I-10, but easy to find and easy to get back on the road in the morning.

The breakfast was plentiful, but the warmer seemed to be on the fritz, as the omelets and sausage were not hot, but on the coolish side.

The room we were in is in need of some upgrades.

The carpet pad is lumpy, making walking in bare feet interesting, as you feel the bumps under the carpet.

The wallpaper shows some wear, but not bad.

These are minor things, and take nothing away from the value and comfort of the hotel.

Will I stay there again when going through Tucson?

Sure will.

It is one of those places that is easy to return to, and we will.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
comfortsuitesairport, General Manager at Comfort Suites Airport, responded to this review, August 31, 2014
We thank you for your stay and comments. We strive to provide 100 percent satisfactions to all our guest. We look forward to hosting you again. We wil incoroporate your feed back to our quality assurance mannual for staff training. Thanks you.
gilladj
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

Spent two nights here while in Tucson ion business. I chose the hotel based on location and price. It delivered both but not much else. I arrived to check in at around 5:00 pm on a Sunday. I stood at the desk for 10 minutes and watched an animated discussion between the desk clerk and other staff in another room. When she finally noticed me she said she would be right there. Five minutes later the very flustered clerk came over.

My paper work was ready but after many panicked calls on her walkie talkie to other staff, who never responded, she excused herself to see if my room was ready. Now remember this is 5 pm and I was expected but my room was not ready. I waited another 10 minutes before I was given a key card and assigned a room.

I was given a room on the first floor at the end of the hall. The room was clean but showed significant wear. There was a nice flat panel TV. Bed and pillows were fine. The work desk/chair were fine. The breakfast was ok too. The breakfast room staff were very friendly and helpful.

Again price and location were why I booked and on those aspects it did not disappoint. When staying in Tucson next time I am likely to pay a little more for a different hotel in the same area.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Been to Comfort Suites Airport? Share your experiences!