“I'd go back....maybe.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Westward Look Wyndham Grand Resort and Spa

Save Saved
You added Westward Look Wyndham Grand Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Westward Look Wyndham Grand Resort and Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   245 East Ina Road, Tucson, AZ 85704 (Formerly Westward Look Resort)   |
Hotel deals
“I'd go back....maybe.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2010

Westward Look Resort Review

Room:
King size bed, one of the most comfortable I've slept in. Lots of high quality down pillows, more than I've had anywhere else, and they give you two more in the closet. Why I'm not sure, there were 6 on the bed already. The 47” LCD mounted to an articulated swing arm mount capable of facing the TV in any direction – to face the bed, desk, lounge, deck. Selection of channels is ok, and covers all the major cable news networks. Large outer bathroom vanity with sink and fridge that works quite well keeping things cool at 39 degF (digital readout on fridge). The fridge can hold at one time, a 12 pack of sodas, bottle of wine, two bottles of vodka, 6 pack of beer, two 1-liter bottles of fresh squeezed limeade (all bought at the Safeway just down the street). Lots of light, 6-ft sliding doors, two ¾ length windows in bedroom with wood blinds, skylight in bathroom and a night light. They start you off with two bottles of water, but never replenished. I suppose one could ask for replacements, but nothing showed during our time there. However, there is a Safeway very close and a fridge that can easily hold enough bottles and keep them chilled.

Safe:
There is a relatively large electronic lock (4-digit) safe big enough to fit a 15-in macbook, and everything else.

Toiletries:
Shampoo, conditioner, and hand soaps are all high quality. The only grievance is that that bottles are stiff enough to make it difficult to get the product out. Accessories include a real 1850 watt Conaire hairdrier. The coffee pot is a single serve machine, so don't bother to bring your own grinds or filters. I am a little critical of coffee because of love a good cup of black coffee. We're originally given two regular and one decaf packet. The next day they forgot to replenish, but a quick phone call and we had four regulars to satisfy my caffeine addiction. However, I did have to call. No wine opener in room.

Sitting lounge area includes a coffee table, leather couch, and large leather sitting chair. They are deep cushioned, but on the firm side. Rooms are setup with adjoining door as an option for multiple room needs.

There are two small glass tumblers (6 oz), and stainless steel ice bucket that can hold ice for about 4 drinks in the tumblers. Ice machine can be a building or three away, so it could be inconvenient. While we were there, an ice machine serving a cul-de-sac of buildings was out of service, and looked like the sign had been up for a few days at minimum (and was never fixed during our 5 day stay). That would be a major inconvenience if that was near our room.

Decks:
Decks/patios have two chairs and a table, but could easily fit a lounge chair too.

View from rooms are highly variable from deck/patio depending on location and orientation. I think we got lucky and probably got one of the best ones for view of a sunset. Good timing on the room just becoming available. The room faces directly west and overlooks the Tucson valley. You can't ask for a better view of the sun setting behind the mountains west, nice bottle of wine and good company. If you are on the bottom floor, anyone can walk right up to your sliding door. Unless you want to be able to walk 5 steps outside your sliding door to a pool, I would recommend avoiding any of the buildings around the main pool area. You have absolutely no privacy, with pool lounge chairs and people staring into your room 5 feet away or your patio is on the walkway to the pool area. I can't comment on all rooms but of any rooms with desert views, I'd say the better ones are the ones furthest west. There are two rows of buildings, and the inner one looks over the parking lot and other buildings. Slightly higher elevation, but in my opinion, parking lot and buildings are not as attractive as desert flora and fauna with the main entrance road 75 yards away, and not much traffic. Even on the western rooms on the second floor, views maybe hit-and-miss with trees blocking the view, again why I think the front desk was very nice to give us a room with a completely 180 degree unobstructed view. Our patio was the furthest one protruding from the building, hence the most private restricting other onlookers short of people on the trail outside. Our room was in Building 22, room 235. I may be biased though, if I can choose a direction for a deck it would be facing west or southwest. In warm climates, sunrises can get quite warm if facing it. The only downside was it was a little bit of a walk to the pool. The rooms around the lower pool are further set back, but the orientation of the buildings are in a U so patios can look onto other patios in other buildings, not blatantly, but none the less a head turn can suffice.

Business Center:
They have 4 computers for use connected to a printer. No charge for usage, although they do request you keep your time to 15 minutes when people are waiting. I never saw anyone waiting.

Gift shop is adequate. You can likely purchase anything you may have forgotten (like $10 for 4 AA batteries).

Pools
Main pool and lower pool are about the same size - the main pool has a food shack with a full bar, while the lower pool has a phone for room service drinks and food. With the presence of the food shack, families with kids tend to hang out at the upper pool. There seem to be plenty of lounge chairs; however, if you're a person that likes to rotate the chairs to follow the sun (i.e. a human sundial), then things can become challenging. There is not enough pool deck space to be able to freely rotate chairs. So choose wisely given time of day and desire of sun or shade!

The one major negative: the day we got there (around 3:pm), the lower pool was disgusting with loads of floating debris and bird droppings. Did not get in it nor did anyone else when we were lying there. There are no showers to pre-rinse before entering in the pool – which in itself is not that big of a deal, BUT if you want to use a shower to cool it’s not an option. Hence the critical nature of keeping the pools clean. The next day the pool was skimmed, not completely but enough to make it acceptable. The lower pool has a much larger deck area with multiple levels with a good mix of tables and lounge chairs. The next day, the pool was loaded with bugs again. The pool was so bad the next day, a guest first started to skim the pool then a few minutes later realized that is the resort’s duty, made a call and someone came down about 45 minutes later. They were right to be disgusted with the debris in the pool. It wasn't just leaves - it was dead bugs and bird droppings. Then the next day, new guests with kids started to play games to see who could venture into the bugs the deepest before being grossed out-- at least until dad told them to stay away from that half of the pool.

There is absolutely no reason why the resort cannot keep a pool reasonably clean. No way they should be a four diamond rating with that deficiency.

There is a hot tub located in the lower section (about 50 ft from building 22). It has 4 lounge chairs one umbrella and a stone picnic table.

The resort does not condone this but at $10 a drink, at the lower pool it is more convenient to make your own drinks in the room and bring to the pool in PLASTIC CUPS! And given the nice size mini-fridge and close proximity of a Safeway (which in AZ all liquor can be bought there), its easy enough to stay hydrated with your favorite liquid. And unless you're obnoxious about it, they don't seem to have a problem with it. Staff came by a few times and people had obvious outside plastic cups. We at least would buy the first drink and use the resort cups to refill in the room. BTW, Bloody Mary's were very good.

Parking
Seems to be plenty, although shade is nearly non-existent for most of the buildings, there are a couple of groupings with good shade.

Staff
Very nice and responsive.

Internet Access
Wi-fi worked fine for my laptop sitting on our deck with ¾ strength signal, speed was good. The resort provides ATT 3G Wi-Fi service. I had no issues connecting, and no need to first check in with the front desk or get a password, etc. It's an open network.

Trails
Are nice but short.

Restaurants
Shrimp seems to be a universal non-optimal choice in all restaurants visited (except for Guadalajara). They are relatively expensive and not very big (21-30 count).

BJ
Quality of drinks are hit-n-miss. Bloody Mary was probably the worst I've had. I asked the bartender to try and spice it up some but it was a failed attempt. If I wanted tomato juice and vodka that's what I would have ordered. I ended up leaving the $8 drink on the table. In addition, the bartender really didn't show much concern about the quality of the drink. Overall, I would suggest going offsite for food unless you're looking for the convenience. There are quite a few places to eat that are very close (i.e. just down the street).

Gold: only tried lunch there once. The black angus burger was below average. The meat portion, quality, and taste was good. Everything else was below average - enough so that I didn't go back for lunch again. Shrimp appetizer was severely over priced. In general I get the impression that this restaurant is over priced (and hyped). The only difference between the BJ and Gold is the extent of the menu. They use the same kitchen and likely the same staff.

Off-site Restaurants
Bluefin Bistro: very good food, again an order of grilled shrimp appetizer ended up being less than satisfactory. They were over cooked and mediocre in size. The shrimp and scallop ceviche was very good, but the portion was a little bit on the small side for the price. The wine list was very good with bottles ranging from the high $20's with many good wines in the upper $30 to $40's range. Outdoor seating was very pleasant with plenty of heaters around if needed; however the seating is a little crowded. For two people, they have two-top tables on an upstairs outside balcony. Definitely the place to request for two people. I'd strongly suggest making reservations. The kitchen did make a mistake on a modification to an entree, but when I notified the waiter, he immediately took action to correct it. The balcony tables do offer a sense of romance given the privacy associated with the layout.

El Charro: good mexican fare. The seating is a little crowded with the closeness of the tables. Along with that the noise level is more than one would like (i.e. having a conversation is a slightly challenging). The one big drawback for the menu is they do not have a single entree with a full steak (e.g. carne asada), everything is cut into strips. The quality of the meat was good, but no plate with a skirt steak, etc.

Wildflower: very good. Service was excellent. New York steak was excellent and perfectly medium rare. The shrimp salad was mediocre, size of shrimp were about 30-40 count. The bread served is a very good hard crust artisan infused with parmesan cheese. The butter was also infused with another herb (sadly I forget what it was, maybe garlic?). Needless to say, I could make a meal out of that. Only thing I would do is ask for some balsamic vinegar and olive oil for dipping. They have it - I just didn't think about it until after the fact. That bread could become a meal if one were brazen enough to go for it. The price was reasonable for the quality and atmosphere. They have a couple of romantic sidewalk tables outside that you could request. Again, I would suggest reservations. We did not have any, but we timed it perfectly that a two top table opened up on the patio and no wait list when we arrived. The wine list was good and with reasonable price range.

Guadalajara: absolutely the best mexican restaurant I've been too-- possibly ever. There is a reason why this place is rated #1 (or #2 of recent). The salsa made at your table is awesome. You can pick the ingredients and the ratios to your liking. The chips are obviously fresh made onsite. The tortillas are made fresh practically to order (corn and flour!). The lava bowls are what we tried. Again, probably the best I've had including multiple trips to Mexico. We had the: Mocajete Ultimo and Mocajete Morisco (confirm spelling). They were both very similar except the Ultimo had a light tomato sauce sizzling in the bowl. The Morisco was a seafood compilation of large sea scallops (U10), medium size shrimp (25 count), nice size fillet of white fish (maybe cod, I forget now). Lots of green/red peppers, onions. The chef also modified the cooking of it for a very healthy request of not cooking the seafood in butter. He ended up sauteing in chicken broth-- quite tasty and would never know the difference. The Ultimo was similar with shrimp, skirt steak, chicken, peppers, and onions. The slices of meat were good size, and the skirt steak was surprisingly done medium rare. A rarity! The size of either one of the bowls was big enough that it could have been easily a two person meal with another side or appetizer. I would probably do that next time. The service was fast. The music was good but not continuous. They'd play a table, then not again for a while.

Anyone who has written a negative review is either a competitor sabotaging the rating or has no idea what real mexican food is supposed to taste like, or they expected meals to be $5. Absolutely without a doubt the best mexican food you can get in Tucson. The two lava bowls we had were nearly the most expensive items on the menus and they were still under $20. The average price on the menu is probably around $14. So anyone complaining about price has a perspective not appropriate for the quality and quantity of food.

Reservations are STRONGLY recommended. We were able to call up at 5:30pm on a Saturday and get the last reservation for 8:pm. We got there a little early and thought we have a drink in the bar and wait for our table. We arrived around 7:30 only to find parking lot overloaded. But they are obviously accustomed to the traffic. They had people directing where to park in neighboring businesses. We ended up parking two businesses away across a street (maybe a 50 yards in total away). Go to the entrance and a lot of people were waiting for a table, A LOT! Enter into the restaurant and it’s absolutely crowded. This is obviously known by all locals as well. The bar is small, and reminded me of night club days of just how crowded it was. Yet, the bartenders (two of them) were able to quickly take our order and serve it up. I'm quite impressed that those two bartenders were able to keep pace with the bar and all restaurant orders. There must have been 50 tables all full. I asked if there was a service bar to work the tables. Those bartenders earn every penny they make. We didn't even finish our drink and our table was ready 10-minutes ahead of our reservation time. The fresh made guacamole was good, but nothing out of the ordinary when expecting a good guac.

Walgreens, Safeway, Whole Foods, very close and convenient.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
ckinney1, General Manager at Westward Look Wyndham Grand Resort and Spa, responded to this review, May 14, 2010
Greetings,

Thank you for taking the time to detail your stay in the area. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our resort and the grounds.
We also appreciate that you also took the time to give your input on restaurants in the area. We hope to see you back again soon.

Kind Regards,

Alan Klein

1,578 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2010

When I made our reservations I asked to be put in a room with a great view. I think we got the best room in the hotel! The view was amazing. Our room overlooked a stretch of desert and on to the city with mountains well beyond. Our room was exactly as described on the website. Very large with plenty of room. The bathroom was lovely. I enjoyed the Spa products offered. We ate every breakfast at GOLD. Always fresh and delicious. We especially enjoyed the home-made granola! The pool was a perfect place to be outdoors and around the other guests. One day we ordered wings from the Lookout grill and enjoyed them by the pool. The prickly pear sauce was amazing! The front desk was always helpful with directions, printing boarding passes, whatever we asked.
I think this might be one of the best hotels, for service, we've ever stayed. Thank you for making our vacation wonderful.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
ckinney1, Director of Revenue Management at Westward Look Wyndham Grand Resort and Spa, responded to this review, April 29, 2010
Greetings, We are delighted to hear that your stay with us was enjoyable. It is always nice to hear that our service was key in making your vacation "wonderful"! Your comments will be passed along to our staff with pride. Thank You for taking a moment to share your comments with us. We look forward to your next stay.
Meadow Vista, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2010

I stay at this resort whenever I visit my son and his wife and kids in Tucson. The service provided by Nathan and his staff is always exemplary. Recently I sent my son and his wife there for a two day birthday "revitalization" and they had the best stay of their lives. Service was wonderful, the food was great and the room was perfect for a two day getaway. Nathan made sure they were treated to the best of everything. I wouldn't think of staying anywhere else in Tucson. The spa offers a great variety of services, the grounds are lovely and the ambiance can't be beat.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
ckinney1, Director of Revenue Management at Westward Look Wyndham Grand Resort and Spa, responded to this review, April 23, 2010
Thank You for taking the time to tell us about your son's recent stay with us. We enjoy hearing when our staff, at any level, goes above and beyond to exceed our guest's expectations. It is a pleasure hearing that such a key staff member was able to make their stay memorable, and we will happily pass on these accolades to Nathan. We look forward to your next visit with us. Kind Regards.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2010

We had booked a Deluxe Posada room with desert view away from the pool - the room was nice, the view was nice although we really looked onto the posadas below us and the city skyline and mountains in the distance, not the desert (but it was nicer than the pool views). The balcony offered a nice place to sit and enjoy the sunshine. Hotel staff were very helpful in terms of offering suggestions for touring, shopping and so on. Housekeeping was fantastic, kept the room clean and well stocked and going out their way to make sure we were comfortable. (For example, I had a really bad cold, and she came back later in the day with extra green tea for me without me asking!) Horseback riding and spa were both wonderful. We would definitely stay here again. Note that I would not recommend a room by the main pool unless you expected to be using it frequently - those rooms looked directly onto the poolside seating and I expect would be quite noisy in warm weather. And since they're open 24 hours, I expect there could be a lot of foot traffic in front of your windows quite late.

The only down side to our trip was the "Gold" restaurant (one of two on site - the other is a sports bar, which fit that bill nicely). For breakfast, it was okay - most mornings it took a while for anyone to come take our order, but once they did, delivery of the ordered items was very fast. However, for our last night, we reserved for their "Lobster and Steak" special, and it was horrible from start to finish. In spite of the reservation we had to wait almost 10m to be seated in a half empty restaurant, waited15 minutes before finally flagging the host to see if we could at least get a drink while waiting for our server to show up, were misled by the waiter about what was included and ended up paying $16 for two salads we didn't really want (he'd said they were included), waited another 10 minutes after the salads were slowly cleared for our mains to arrive. Since one of us wanted lobster and the other steak, we'd asked them to be plated with both lobster tails on one plate and both filet mignons on the other - but they arrived as steak and lobster on each plate. No one came to ask if we'd like coffee or dessert - just dropped off the tab. (Needless to say, the tip was pretty small.) While I might have breakfast there again, I would never eat dinner there again. Breakfast from the coffee stand in the lobby was great for a quick coffee & pastry, and the sports bar had a reasonable menu and service.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
ckinney1, Revenue Manager at Westward Look Wyndham Grand Resort and Spa, responded to this review, April 15, 2010
Greetings, We thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your accommodations. We are truly sorry to hear about your experience in Gold and our misunderstanding of your dinning expectations. Please know that we strive to make our service exceed our guest’s expectations at all times. This is evident in our receiving a 4 diamond rating for both the Resort as well as in our restaurant Gold. Your feedback has been a valuable tool in maintaining the level of service that we, and our guests, expect when visiting our resort. Action has been taken to ensure that we do not miss the mark with our guest going forward. We hope that you will continue to make the Westward Look Resort your first choice when your travels bring you to Tucson Arizona. We look forward to your next visit. Kind Regards.
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2010

Three women shared a room at Westward Look during March. The room was especially roomy with two sinks, great shower, generous closet and large TV. There was a couch (hide-a-bed) and roomy chair. The room was just as pictured on the hotel's website. The landscaped grounds are really attractive and suited to the area with native cacti, etc. and also provide trails for that morning walk or run. Book a nature tour with the head groundskeeper to learn about the plants, trees, and birds. Food was very good. Take advantage of happy hour in the bar and grill and enjoy outdoor seating. The location is in the foothills of the Santa Catalina mountains so you will definitely need to drive to most attractions or events. Parking on site was always available close to our room. We did not hear any noises from neighboring rooms. Tohono Chul park (a must see) is only a mile away and there are restaurants and shopping centers also in close proximity. This resort is great for single travellers, families, friends or couples. It has a great historic ambiance to the lobby (an original residence from 1912).

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
ckinney1, Revenue Manager at Westward Look Wyndham Grand Resort and Spa, responded to this review, April 2, 2010
Thank you so much for sharing your experience. Our staff works hard to create a relaxed atmosphere for our guest to enjoy. It is so nice when we hear that one of our guests had the chance to take it all in. Thank you again for your wonderful comments.
Portland, OR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2010

Our family of 4 stayed at the Westward Look Resort for 7 nights during the kid's spring break. We have 2 sons, ages 9 and 11. I was apprehensive at first due to some mixed reviews I read here about the property, but was very pleasantly surprised when we settled in.
The property is situated on a hillside against the Santa Catalina mountains, and has walking trails throughout the property, linking the various amenities. The grounds are beautiful, designed to highlight the beauty of the desert. There was an amazing display of cacti in bloom, quail, and rabbits wherever you looked!

We reserved a "suite-sized" room with 1 king bed and a sofa-sleeper, but at check in that was not available. Instead they gave us a room with 2 double beds and a sofa-sleeper. I was immediately annoyed by this, but after looking at the other rooms and their layouts and locations, I chose the room they had reserved for us. It was a long room with the 2 beds (very luxurious!), a sitting area (with the sleeper-sofa) that opened onto a private patio, and an oversized dressing area and bathroom. The dressing area had a long countertop and sink with a mini fridge and coffee maker which became our kitchenette, where we kept our cereal, milk, juice, and other snacks. The bathroom was also large with a walk-in travertine tile shower, long countertop with sink, and toilet. The towels were very plush and abundant, and the spa shampoo, conditioner, shower gel and lotion are some of the best I have ever used.

There are 3 pools: a lap pool at the fitness center, the main pool by the lobby & restaurants (with a basketball hoop and water noodles), and a 3rd pool which was occupied by the quieter set of mostly 55+ folks reading and soaking up the sun. We used the main pool for the kid friendly activity. We also used the fitness center which had all the state-of-the-art machines, the 8 tennis courts, and the spa.
The 2 restaurants are nice: a bar and grill and the more formal Gold dining room. You could also order food and beverage pool-side. My sons really liked the tropical smoothies from the poolside bar, but I preferred the cadillac margarita! When we wanted to dine off-property, we had only to drive a mile to the commercial district where there were many choices. We recommend the "El Charro" on Oracle rd.

I would return to the Westward Look without hesitation.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
ckinney1, Revenue Manager at Westward Look Wyndham Grand Resort and Spa, responded to this review, April 7, 2010
Thank you for you comments and sharing the details of your experiences during your stay. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed our resort and amenities that we have to offer. We look forward to your next stay with us.
twin cities, mn
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2010

We got off to a bad start. We were early to check in and I told them that I hadn't made arrangements to arrive early but they said the room would be ready in 30 minutes and they would call us when it was ready. We decided that wasn't long enough to do much so we walked around the property. An hour later we checked in and were told no, our room was not ready yet - 10-15 minutes more was needed. We hopped back into the car and visited a local grocery store for snacks. We got back more than 30 minutes later and our room still was not ready for us. We went on the patio and had drinks while we waited some more. My complaint is not about the room not being ready - we had arrived early and unannounced. My complaint is with being told it would just be a few minutes. We wasted an entire afternoon expecting to be called at any moment.

The next problem was discovered soon after checking into our suite. We booked their "Stargazer Suite" with private patio and hot tub. We decided to relax a bit before heading out and I stretched out on one of the lounge chairs on the patio - no problem. When my husband attempted to lay down in the other he landed in a sopping wet chair pad that deceptively appeared to be dry.. We called the front desk and asked if they could swap it out for a dry pad. We went out for the evening and upon return found the same wet chair pad. I asked the housekeeper the next morning if she could get us a dry chair and she told us no. Out we went for the day and when we returned there were 2 new chair pads laid out - (it pays to tip the housekeeper). My other complaints are: it took 3 days to get a working hairdryer, the nearby ice maker was out of service, the toilet seat was broken, and we came back to our room after being out of it all day to find it was never made up.

There wasn't anything awful, just a series of annoyances but at close to $400 a night I wouldn't expect to be annoyed. The spa was adequate and reasonable. I had a wonderful massage, wish I remembered his name to recommend him.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Greetings. Thank you for your valuable feedback. We are sorry for the delay in your check in and the other "annoyances" that you endured during your staywith us. Please be assured that we have put strategies in place to correct these deficiecies. We hope that you will visit us again in the future when your travels bring you back to Tucson.

Been to Westward Look Wyndham Grand Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!