“Westward Look Satisfies Once Again” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Westward Look Wyndham Grand Resort and Spa

Save Saved
You added Westward Look Wyndham Grand Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Westward Look Wyndham Grand Resort and Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   245 East Ina Road, Tucson, AZ 85704 (Formerly Westward Look Resort)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Plan Ahead, Save 25%
Ranked #32 of 127 hotels in Tucson
West Sedona, Arizona
“Westward Look Satisfies Once Again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

Let me start of by saying I have been staying at The Westward Look since I was a toddler. We have traveled with parents, grandparents, aunts, and uncles, and The Westward Look is always a relaxing stay. Working at a similar hotel in Northern Arizona gave me some insight and experience on how to make my stay the best.

Arrival was very easy, smooth. We arrived around 4:30 pm, but I was surprised there was no valet service or bellman to assist with luggage as we got out of the car. Check in for our two desert view suites was seamless, and because I was an employee of a Gemstone Hotel (which Westward Look had formerly been) our resort fee for both rooms in the reservation was cut in half, which I really appreciated. As we got to the rooms, I was pleasantly surprised at the renovations to the desert suites, as we have stayed in the same building about 3 times (building 8, rooms 154&155). The bed, duvet, and pillows were WONDERFUL, big kudos there. Complimentary waters came in VERY handy for my work outs at the upgraded fitness center. GREAT LifeFitness cardio machines with iPod connectivity. Makes a big difference in your post-arrival decompress workout when you're dealing with better equipment than your local fitness club at home has.
Few things to note about the rooms (mine was 154)
-in the bathroom the tile was sticking up in one area where it seemed like there was pipe repair and the repair wasn't flush with the rest of the floor.
-as i've seen on other reviews, the bathroom desperately needed towel racks. there was one that i did not use because it was more for something like a grocery bag with a handle and any towel would've fallen off
-the SHOWER was awful! it was a nice shower, but A) the water pressure was at a trickle, despite the rainforest-like head, and B) it took about 10 minutes for it to get comfortably warm
-during stays in the past, I remember the room amenities included their "Sonoran Spa" products, with great smelling Shampoo, Conditioner, and Lotion. they have downgraded to a lesser product and for some reason are not providing conditioner? I would've much preferred conditioner over body wash, especially when bar soap is provided.

the first night we did dinner at the lookout bar & grille which was very good. attentive service, delicious food, very enjoyable. love the outdoor seating area above the pool with comfortable chairs.

speaking of pool area, the pool is great, but they desperately need to re-vamp the pool service a tad. I can understand the need to keep pool towels from disappearing, but having an older gentleman sitting at a table sternly distributing towels only if you have your wristbands for the day (which we were not given at check in) is a little much. we ordered lunch by the pool, and it came out quickly which was appreciated, and VERY comfortable pool loungers and umbrellas were plentiful.

the spa service was excellent! for fun, I inquired if I could get any spa discounts for being a Gemstone employee, and the spa director promptly contacted me the next morning and offered me 20% off any treatment. sold! I booked a 60-minute deep tissue massage with Nicole, who did a fabulous job. desk ladies were also very nice and attentive.
few things about the spa
-spa waiting room was VERY crowded and kind of awkward. it didn't ruin my spa experience at all, i just think that needs to be next on the re-model list. the waiting room was also right next to the salon which was a detriment because of the noise. the TAZO tea and lemon water was a nice touch.
-the locker rooms could also be expanded. i know it's not las vegas, but one shower and one toilet is a tad underwhelming if they are wanting to build a substantial spa base. lockers were also very shallow which made it slightly difficult to stuff my bag in.
OVERALL SPA: great, relaxing spa day that had me feeling like butter.

the last day, we had breakfast at GOLD, which was offering a Sunday buffet. apparently there was a "Staycation" package offered and we were asked twice if we were a part of it (which we were not). Our waitress, Tiffany, was attentive and my coffee cup was never empty (helping me write this review ;) ) the buffet had all the essentials, eggs, bacon, sausage, potatoes, french toast, and fruit. I would've loved to see steel-cut oatmeal too, but that's just me.

Check out was seamless, reminding me I will be back to The Westward Look soon!

Room Tip: Desert View Room. Beautiful night views
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

1,578 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2011

Great resort in the foothills above Tucson. A great place to stay. Tennis, swimming, and other outstanding faciliites. Great property. Nice 2/3 mile desert nature walk. Were there for graduation for daughter from U of A. Would recommend it highly and would go back.

Room Tip: Rooms were all good
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
ckinney1, Manager at Westward Look Wyndham Grand Resort and Spa, responded to this review, June 3, 2011
Greetings,

Thank you for your review. It is very affiming to our staff when one of our guests take the time to write a review such as yours. We are so proud of Westward Look Resort, and we are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Please do not hesitate to contact us the next time you visit Tucson, Arizona. We would love to have the oportunity to have you as our guest.
Thank you again!

Kine Regards,

Craig Waterman - General Manager
Westward Look Resort
Phoenix, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2011

We bid on priceline for a staycation in Tucson. We were disappointed when we got the Westwardlook because this isn't known as a "resort" in Tucson. We arrived, paid an extra $15 per night in resort fee and headed to our room. The room itself was great with a massage chair and personal hot tub outside. That's about where it ended. The desert doesn't really charm us and all the plants were half dead from an earlier freeze. Service was snooty or fake nice. There were disgusting flies in a small pool for a resort. Absolutely no internet connectivity either. Would probably not stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for Stargazer room if you want a hot tub
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
ckinney1, Manager at Westward Look Wyndham Grand Resort and Spa, responded to this review, May 23, 2011
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit. I'm pleased to hear that the room and its amenities were to your liking. I am sorry, however, that other factors detracted from your overall experience. The freeze that hit us earlier this year did take a unusually heavy toll on some of our vegetation; the last time we had such severe weather was nearly a century ago. We have been and are continuing to repair the damage it inflicted so that we may restore our landscaping to its usual beauty. In regards to your service and pool-related issues, we will share your comments with the appropriate parties in order to remedy them and ensure a better experience for you on your next visit. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and hope to see you again in the future.

Kind Regards,

Craig Waterman
General Manager - Westward Look Resort
Elgin, IL. USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2011

My wife and I last stayed at Westward Look in 1993 and we LOVED the place.
As one would expect, the area has undergone some changes and so has this resort.
The resort was completely remodelled two years ago and it looks like new. It is beautiful.
The rooms are VERY large, as are the bathrooms. Great mattresses too. It hosts two restaurants, three swimming pools and truely beautiful grounds.
Despite the encroaching neighborhood, it still feels like it is in the middle of the desert. It has a great location and near many good restaurants.
The only quibbles that I may have are minor.
Despite a confirmation code, the resort could NOT confirm the agreed upon room rate (via telephone) and there was a slight discrepancy between our understanding of the rate.
The TV in the room has a clunky and wholly inadequate remote. And, finally, in this day and age, there is NO REASON why a resort like Westward Look should still have such terrible Internet service (... almost unusable!) Oops, one more thing, the upper level rooms do allow some AC noise as they must be situated right above the room's ceiling.
Despite this, it is a beauty and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Do not get a room next to the main pool.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, AB
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2011

We only stayed two nights at the Westward Look but we really enjoyed it. It was very peaceful and serene. The service was great & we were happy we chose to upgrade our room. Glad we had the opportunity to do so. It was great to have a separate sleeping area for our 16 month old son.

The food at the hotel restaurant was great. Unfortunately for us, our order was lost/forgotten the first night we arrived but they were sincerely sorry and comped our meal. Mistakes do happen and I didn't get the impression that it was a regular occurrence.

The location was great if you have a vehicle. We were a short drive to everything we needed.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Los Angeles, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011

The room I had was huge and very comfy linens and beds and I'm very particular about beds and pillows! However all downhill from there. No safe or minibar in the room. In room dining ends at 10pm. The coffee was undrinkable don't know if it was the brand or tap water. They really need those keurig coffee makers. I used the spa twice for a massage and pedicure - warning the spa has no jacuzzi or sauna. It only has lockers and 1 shower (water pressure very low). Also, no razors or mouthwash were available at the spa. When you use the lap pool and order food from the cafe they charge it as "room service" with all the added fees. I did not have a car rental so even though there was a mall very close by, I could not go becuase there was no courtesy shuttle I would have to call a cab. When I asked for a late check out - many hotels and resorts usually (based on availablity) give you an hour or two out of courtesy. This resort charged me $10 for every hour I wanted to stay past noon! It's not the money it's not expensive, but when every other hotel and resort will give you an hour or two if they can without charge...what is going on here? I'm disappointed. I won't recommend or go back even if I did like the room and the bed.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Nantucket
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011

Just visited Arizona for the first time with family including my 15 yo and 10 yo daughters. Couldn't have asked for a better location for their two very different interests. My youngest one and I loved the beautiful grounds, wildlife, birds and awesome views. My oldest - the quiet rooms conducive to 'sleeping in' and the pools. Horsebacking riding and on-site natural trails were a hit with all of us. Sitting by the outside fire with that "wow" view of Tucson at night was simply incredible. Wouldn't change a thing about our stay except to make it longer!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Been to Westward Look Wyndham Grand Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!