“GOLF” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Newport Beach, California
“GOLF”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I had two rooms for a total of 6 nights.
My experience at the Lodge was disappointing as my early golf tee time was rained out along with 40 degree temps. The golf shop offered to reschedule, but we were unable to do so on this trip. Even though no one else was on the course, the resort would not refund any portion of the green fees. The Lodge could have gained a life time customer and brand advocate had they handled this situation better. While the golf course is great, guess I'll go back to Lowe's and play the course through their pro shop.
While this is a golf activity review, it reflects on my overall opinion of the resort.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Kansas City USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

This property is beautiful ...entertaining golf courses, landscaping, etc. The Lodge is due for some updating. We had a huge suite with small kitchen. Very comfortable but a bit dated. Plumbing fixtures, lamps needed replacement. Bedding was ok ish. We ate breakfast most mornings in the restaurant ...very good.
There was a $24 per day resort fee added to our agreed upon room rate. I really do not like that!!!! Way too much for this level of hotel, too.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Living in the rainy Pacific NW, and after a busy tax season, this is where I daydream of going each April/early May. My husband and I can rest completely here and we spend at least 9 nights at just the Lodge itself. The grill is wonderful and the people that serve there are so incredibly nice. WE love hiking the sabino canyon and they offer a free shuttle service to and from. Honestly, the only two things I can think of that I would change about this place is that it's a little pricey (but worth every penny) and you gotta remember, it has a little kitchenette that you can cook your own and save money. The other thing would be that the pool is off limits from about 3 - 5 on weekdays for students doing swim meets. I absolutely love that lap pool. The view is incredible. Choose the room wtih a view. I can't wait until April.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Phoenix
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The staff was increcible and helpful with suggestions to local attractions and made our check in so easy! Greeted at our car before we even entered the door. The surrounding area was beautiful and very close to the Sabino Canyon for hiking. Would love to stay here again!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The main reasons for a weekend stay at the Lodge are basically to soak up the spectacular views and to "get out of town." So, we got the results we wanted. I booked our stay three months in advance, so was able to score the view. Check in is 4:00PM, though I had requested early check in. We were delayed, arriving at 3:40PM, and the room wasn't ready. Of course, I was reminded of their policy, but, whatever.

I would consider the property to have undergone some renovations, as our suite was updated and fully equipped. Well, the king bed was too soft, the coffee maker is cheap and I had to request two robes be brought to the room. The grounds are well maintained, the staff friendly and professional. Sunday brunch was expansive and surprisingly inexpensive. Wait staff was unobtrusive and efficient. We split a delicious rack of ribs in the Grille one evening My wife loved the gym, but now I guess I have to buy her a treadmill.

Room Tip: Book early, and request either a mountain or golf course view above the first level.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Spent 4 days at The Lodge a few weeks ago on a golf trip and had a great time. The rooms, although a bit dated, were massive! Stayed in a room with a King bed, small kitchenette, large living room and giant bathroom. There was also a large balcony over-looking the golf course with a mountain view. The room was very clean and quiet.

Both golf courses (Mountain and Canyon) were first class. They are both designed by Fazio which I am a fan. Conditions were prestine, greens rolled fast and true... and the golf service staff was top notch.

Temperature was very cool overnight. We had frost delays at the golf course till 10am almost every day. But the staff were able to start everyone in a shotgun to help ensure we got the round in during the best part of the day.

Before arrival I worked out my itinerary for the afternoons with the hotels concierge service. Arlene helped with some great hiking spots to hit up within close proximity to the resort. Also took the time to see the Sonoran Desert Meseum, Saguaro National Park, and a drive up Mount Lemmon.

The food at the hotel was okay. The best meal was the Wednesday buffet dinner! I could tell this was a hit with members and guests because it was one of the only nights that the restaurant was packed. Great choice of salads and appetizers, seafood, prime rib, and about 20 different desserts.

It was the only hotel I stayed in Tucson, but I would recommend it for the golf, service, location, and proximity to hiking and outdoor adventure... if you are just going to stay at the lodge for the food, decor, spa, pool, and atmosphere... it may not be the place as those qualities are a little dated.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a mountain view. Very peaceful
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012 via mobile

I wouldn't pay full price for this hotel. I enjoyed the tennis courts and rooms were clean but not modern. It was a nice staycation close to home (Phoenix). Staff was super friendly and helpful. Breakfast the next morning was tasty.

• Stayed November 2012